Preparing for Retirement

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will see what they say at the meeting on friday. Will the Mango hit the fan ?

I still get the emails, and linkedin messages, talk to me, we can make you millions (@1.25++percent of your assets)
Aw c'mon man! You are no fun! :mad:
Remember, just last year we were all 'Ridin-High' on Peloton? The stock price was at $126! :)
~Oh, won't you take me down, to yuppie-town?~
It was going to become the next 'national-addiction' and everybody that got in on the 'ground floor' was going to make a fortune! :woo hoo:
...Today, not so much:(:
Screenshot_20220509-173748.png

Last edited:
Before you retire, way before you retire, pay off all debt. Before I retired my home was paid. It was paid off way before I retired. This was good as when I was 58 my heart attack meant that I was no longer able to work the way I had been. I couldn't even carry my tool box.

Pay off your vehicle, better yet pay cash for your vehicles. Every dollar you pay in interest is a dollar that isn't available for something else. the first time my wife and I bought a car she was all pumped up and said, "I never thought I'd pay cash for a car." I responded, "Did you really think that you'd be driving that old Subaru for the rest of your life?" The smile disappeared, "Oh yea, I forgot who I'm married to."
Ditto that!

Ben

Priceless advice!:huggs:
Pot-stocks were the perfect 'get-rich-quick thing' that they yapped about nonstop a few years ago:woo hoo:.
Even today, none of the 3 main companys stock is above $10.:(
Compare that to the lame Hershey stock that DW has.
It pays such a small dividend, I would never own it:(.
Today, it has a higher per-share price than any stock in my portfolio:oops::
View attachment 85713
Lame. :rolleyes:
Ever buy a Hershey bar? I don't think anybody in this country hasn't.
*Not investment advice...but similar to beer.
I was advised to buy stocks in the companies that sold greenhouse & other supplies to the pot growers, that is where the big money was made.
Many of them stocks doubled & are stable.
Not Green Mountain coffee or Tesla, but you can not have everything.
SpaceX will be a good one, if it is ever traded.

Last edited:
Well, I can't offer any 'investment advice', but I can spin a little story;)...
I have always been hard-headed, but I am capable of learning.
I was probably 50 when my 75y/o mom told me:
"You do know that you can skip paying a broker, and making the guys in wall-street skyscrapers rich, by buying stock directly from a company, right?"
Well, ibedammed!!!:eek:
Not advice, just a story about me being 'schooled'.

I was advised to buy stocks in the companies that sold greenhouse & other supplies to the pot growers, that is where the big money was made.
Many of them stocks doubled & are stable.
Not Green Mountain coffee or Tesla, but you can not have everything.
SpaceX will be a good one, if it is ever traded.
Seems a bit too "political" to me. Pot is still a federal violation, when that changes, Maybe. Who will be elected next? "The states get to choose! well, for pot but not abortion? not going any further down that hole.

Seems a bit too "political" to me. Pot is still a federal violation, when that changes, Maybe. Who will be elected next? "The states get to choose! well, for pot but not abortion? not going any further down that hole.
Greenhouse supplies are a federal violation??

Greenhouse supplies are a federal violation??
Much better than trying to make money off of companies trying to sell pot at a profit.
The good news, if it is legalized, greenhouses will spring up everywhere and you will be sitting in the cat-bird seat...because ANYBODY can grow it ANYWHERE!

Last edited:
Much better than trying to make money off of companies trying to sell pot at a profit.
The good news, if it is legalized, greenhouses will spring up everywhere and you will be sitting in the cat bird seat...because ANYBODY can grow it ANYWHERE!
There is the rub...

Within some distance you have pollination that is not good.

Ones crop is only as your neighbors ability to control male plants.

Ben

That is just since January, -25%. Crypto, in the same boat.:(
A lot of 'fiduciarys' are gonna have some 'splainin to do. :waiting:
Well, at least I have a huge investment in Bitcoin!!! :woo hoo:
It's doing great, right?
...if you consider a -26% loss in just one month 'doing great', it is. :rolleyes:
Screenshot_20220511-161513.png

I can't give advice, but I can quote something my dad told me:
"Son, if you follow the herd, you end up in the same slaughterhouse".
*Disclaimer: I don't own any tech-stocks or crypto, so I know nothing about them.

Last edited:
Remember the old adage? If your broker is so smart, why is he still a broker? Glad, and very lucky to have found the right guy.
Maybe it was Mr. Trump or my Broker, but I have made more than I spent for 24 months of retirement & last month I with drew $8000.00 to put down on my new truck. The funds did not make more than the withdraw & I had a less than the month before for the first time.
I do know that he is doing better than I did without him.

Maybe it was Mr. Trump or my Broker, but I have made more than I spent for 24 months of retirement & last month I with drew $8000.00 to put down on my new truck. The funds did not make more than the withdraw & I had a less than the month before for the first time.
I do know that he is doing better than I did without him.
Yes, some of us do a poor job trying to keep pace with our retirement income.
Mine has outrun me from day 1.
burnout-gif.38811
(compounding is a vicious thing to try to keep pace with :rolleyes:)
If I kick the bucket, you will be able to see DW grinning from where you sit.:D
The main point on the thread topic for people to realize is, this is not only possible, even ordinary guys like me and you do it every day... you just have to not make stupid mistakes.
idiot-gif.75160

Last edited:
Yes, some of us do a poor job trying to keep pace with our retirement income.
Mine has outrun me from day 1.
burnout-gif.38811

If I kick the bucket, you will be able to see DW grinning from where you sit.:D
The main point on the thread topic for people to realize is, this is not only possible, even guys like me and you do it every day... you just have to not make stupid mistakes.
idiot-gif.75160
You fot that right.

Just finished the weekly meeting our guy and the over all theme "think stupid". It will be stupid until November and may be stuck in stupid until 2024.

I am pushing for alcohol producers and asked if we should watch Idiocracy again for inspiration. ;)

Ben

I was always told to invest in what you believe in. If you combine that wisdom with a little due diligence on the stock with historical data then I'd call it a decent bet. For example, just b/c you love Ford/Chevy/Tesla, first look at the stock and see what it has done over the last few years before investing. If there's no movement there on the up side for several years, then maybe find something else you love and look into that instead. For myself, I also have to really like a company and believe in it's mission before I'll buy it's stock. DJT was right.....everything woke turns to crap. I steer clear of the woke stocks, but it's getting more and more difficult to do.

That said, we did invest in managed IRA's when we were young and even though the fiduciary got a piece of that, it still worked out good for us. 80-90% of something is always better than 100% of nothing. Young people are often too busy to manage their own IRA's, and quite frankly at that age, I had way too much on my plate to bother with that myself. All these years later, we're good to go......as long as Bidens inflation doesn't bury us all. But, that's why I diversify in other things. While cash and the dollar is going in the toilet, my assets are gaining value every day.

a couple years back I volunteered at "poverty simulations". it was a set of tasks to accomplish dealing with "helpful agencies". The particpants were those whom had never interfaced with any agencies assisting the less fortunate. Ran into a lady that was all about "socially responsible" companies and investing. We compared notes, and I told her there was NO WAY I would invest in a company returning under 1% ROI, I don't care what they did.

We no longer speak.

I am retired and have not taken any SS yet. My hubby is retiring July 15 and we have various investments, 401(k)s, a pension and upcoming SS. I’m telling y’all, managing these funds to be sure it lasts us the rest of our lives is a full time job in itself. We are working with a financial advisor helping us decide how much income we need/want every month. Cash availability, slow growth (safer) investments, how much to put in a higher risk investment, etc. my hubby and I both planned well for our retirement and have no financial worries (or any debt) but there is a much to consider. How much to give yourself without going into a higher tax bracket, etc. 🤯

Last edited:
a couple years back I volunteered at "poverty simulations". it was a set of tasks to accomplish dealing with "helpful agencies". The particpants were those whom had never interfaced with any agencies assisting the less fortunate. Ran into a lady that was all about "socially responsible" companies and investing. We compared notes, and I told her there was NO WAY I would invest in a company returning under 1% ROI, I don't care what they did.

We no longer speak.
This is a very important point when it comes to choosing investments.
This is not a game where the people that play "nice" finish first.
Twit: "I just looove😍 Nike shoes! They just gotta be in my portfolio!:woo hoo:
Agent> "Do you know how much they suck as a company?"gaah
Agent> "How about some companies that sell medicines that people must have to live, or alcohol, that some people must have, or companies that sell gasoline that people must have to drive their cars, or companies that generate and supply electric power to people that they can't live without?" They pay pretty good.:)
Twit: "Don't you see this George-Baton shirt I have on?!:oops:" It is far more awesome than any of your choices!
Put me all-in on that company!:dancing:

Last edited:
Ran into a lady that was all about "socially responsible" companies and investing. We compared notes, and I told her there was NO WAY I would invest in a company returning under 1% ROI, I don't care what they did.

We no longer speak.
If that's what she chooses to do, then it's called charity, not investment. I guess as long as she knows the difference she can do whatever she wants. Hopefully she doesn't mind working a few more years to pad her 'retirement'. :rolleyes:

Some people will just never learn. Stupid should hurt.

a couple years back I volunteered at "poverty simulations". it was a set of tasks to accomplish dealing with "helpful agencies". The participants were those whom had never interfaced with any agencies assisting the less fortunate. Ran into a lady that was all about "socially responsible" companies and investing. We compared notes, and I told her there was NO WAY I would invest in a company returning under 1% ROI, I don't care what they did.

We no longer speak.
I see her point, I would not invest in Plan Parenthood, if they had 50% ROI!
But I agree with you, dademoss, if you are not gong to make money in stock market, get out & buy land & plant trees, real estate is better than nothing.

I think we're gonna be in good shape :thumbs:.
If they have been pouring their money in where all the "Smart-Money" is going (Big-Tech), their ship is taking on a lot of water:oops::
<snip>
That is just since January, -25%. Crypto, in the same boat.:(
A lot of 'fiduciarys' are gonna have some 'splainin to do. :waiting:
Well, if you haven't been riding the stock-market 'coaster lately, you are missing all the fun!:p
They are even starting to mention the 'r-word' (recession).:oops:
Of course, anyone who has been conscious for the last 5 months knows the odds of us avoiding one are about zero.:confused:
They seem to be inking-in the losses in Big-Tech and Bitcoin as 'permanent' too.
The good news is, nobody will be able to retire (you never pull your 401K when the market is in the crapper), and when they start handing out pink-slips, the 'worker shortage' will vanish🤪.
All is well! Joe told me so! :woo hoo:
(Oh, and if you want to buy stocks, they are about to put out the sign: "On Sale! 25% Off")

Last edited:
nflation and Fed-policy uncertainty keep markets under pressure – The S&P 500 dropped to a 14-month low on Thursday (5/19/22) and is now down 18.7% from the record high it set early in the year1. With stocks just shy of the 20% threshold that defines a bear market, concerns are mounting over potential economic and earnings-growth disappointments. At the core of this year's pullback are the heightened inflation pressures that are forcing the Federal Reserve (Fed) to hike rates at the fastest pace in two decades. Against a backdrop of ongoing price shocks, slowing growth and tightening monetary policy, valuations have adjusted lower, with the speculative areas of the market and high-valuation investments getting hit the worst. Amplifying the challenges to balanced portfolios, bonds have also been under pressure amid higher yields this year. However, since the beginning of May, yields have followed equity markets lower, and as a result bonds have helped stabilize portfolios.

Four conditions for a durable rebound – We don't think that a recession is inevitable, but because credible threats to the expansion exist, volatility is unlikely to end soon. Here is a list of fundamental and market conditions that are likely required to gain confidence that equity markets can find their footing and mount a more durable rebound.

1. Evidence that inflation is past its peak and on a path of moderation: Even with the annual pace of inflation ticking down in April from March, the price increases are too hot, forcing the Fed to hike at a fast pace. Policymakers aim to raise borrowing costs enough to slow growth and tame inflation, but not so much as to push the economy into recession. The market will likely want to see several months of moderating inflation before it is convinced that there is no need for monetary policy to become overly restrictive. If the market sees such a stretch of moderating inflation, it can be a key catalyst for bond yields to stabilize and equities to rally.
  2. Economic and earnings resiliency: With the S&P 500 on the edge of a bear market, the current decline implies a high probability of a recession. If economic data holds up in the coming months, consistent with a slowing but still growing economy, attention will likely shift back to focusing on opportunities instead of risks.
  3. Valuation stability as excesses unwind: As the Fed has signaled an aggressive tightening cycle ahead, and as the 10-year yield topped 3%, valuations have now returned to their 30-year average1. Many high-growth tech companies have given back all of their pandemic outperformance, and the price-to-earnings ratio of the S&P 500 has declined about 30% from last year's peak. While valuations could decline further if the economy slips into recession, that is not our base-case scenario, and at this point we believe that a lot of speculation has already come out of the market.
  4. Widespread pessimism that resets expectations: Investor sentiment tends to be a good contrarian indicator, and as such, complacency tends to signal market peaks, while panic and pessimism are consistent with market bottoms. Currently, investors appear overly pessimistic, as the AAII survey shows that bearish sentiment has surged to its highest since the Global Financial Crisis.

Latest posts

Back