Prepping for "VOLCANIC ERUPTIONS".

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I suspect this is a NONE issue for most on this forum. I have experienced several in the last 55 years in Alaska. And one quasi-local one is developing a cranky attitude.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2024/10/17/volcanic-unrest-mount-spurr-leads-raised-alert-level/

As far as preps are concerned.......don't operate machinery (cars/trucks/snow machines/etc.) Especially don't use windshield wipers or rub volcanic ash off your vehicles. Have good masks. Most stop erupting in 6 to 10 days. You could be trapped in some locations, as aviation comes to a 100 % STOP.

In Alaska it is not just our local volcanos, we get some international volcanic ash. Especially from Russian volcano eruptions. Generally damaged vehicle windshields are the typical problem.

I once had the great pleasure of being trapped in Hawaii for eight days, with all hotel and meals paid by the airline, because of Mount Spurr (Alaska) erupting on my return leg from New Zealand.

I'm just waiting for Yellowstone to blow.

1200x0.jpg

It should be, few places are really completely safe from this.
Correct.

While the majority of volcanism occurs at/adjacent to tectonic plate boundaries (and particularly as "Island Arcs" through oceanic crust), some volcanism is associated with "hotspots" in the upper mantle.....and can occur virtually any where (and indeed far from a plate boundary).

The Hawaiian Island chain and all their volcanoes, are the result of a single hotspot in the upper mantle.

Hawaii is almost smack bang in the middle of the upper half of the Pacific plate.

Interestingly, the hotspot is stationary and the chain of islands has been created by the progress/movement of the plate over the hotspot.

As a kid I lived at Mammoth Mtn. The long valley cauldera was right there. In fact that's how the mtn was formed. It blew up like St.Helens. We had hot springs and sulphur springs all over. I nearly drove into one in my truck once. On a dirt road, I found a nice flat area to turn around. As I started to turn I noticed steam coming up through the "dirt" ahead. But it wasn't dirt, it was a hot spring with a thick layer of dust and leaves on it. That would have been a warm bath...

There was a section of the San Andreas fault you could climb down about 30 ft into, also. It's all touristed now with railings and info plaques. Anyway all those multi-million dollar ski chalets may be toast if it ever goes up.

Devils Postpile is nearby as well as a place called Obsidian Mountain. As a kid we could collect really shiny obsidian. I still have a couple of chunks. We went there last summer, but it's been totally picked over. I bet a truckload of C4 would probably open up some good ground. ;)

With the way "they" have learned to manipulate the weather perhaps the volcanic eruption ash wouldn't come this way, @Pearl
Head south. I watched a pretend documentary movie at least 15 years ago on this very topic. It was Yellowstone. Parts of Texas were safe but a lot of people went into Mexico to escape.

I have masks, Tyvek coveralls, and permanent air filters for each vehicle. Otherwise it is the same preps as any other disaster. Actually the masks and coveralls are good for nuclear and other disasters.

While the majority of volcanism occurs at/adjacent to tectonic plate boundaries (and particularly as "Island Arcs" through oceanic crust), some volcanism is associated with "hotspots" in the upper mantle.....and can occur virtually any where (and indeed far from a plate boundary).
That and even from known sources, can have serious effects for hundreds if not thousands of miles away.

Volcanic events also have a lot of overlap with nuclear and meteoric events so there is significant crossover.

Latest posts

Back