Rebuilding a old spring well

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rothesay Prepper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I'm rebuilding an old spring well that was roughly 4ft deep 3ft wide, I want to put a culvert or something similar to hold more water. I dug a new hole roughly 8ftx8ft and 6-7ft deep. Has anyone else done this i'm trying to find pipe but it's hard where i'm at so now i'm considering cinderblock construction. If you have any tips or alternatives that would be greatly apricated. Picture of me pointing is where the water is coming out of so i'm thinking of backfilling with river rock up to that spot than building up from there and maybe adding a foot more of rock inside.

Attachments

• well.png
    well.png
    15.7 MB · Views: 6
The main thing is to support the back wall first and open the flow-way from the natural outlet after that you can contain it a lot of ways, but natural rock will be better than any concrete for a liner.

You can build a sand filter system with washed stone and sand for it to rise through to the outlet point.

I'm rebuilding an old spring well that was roughly 4ft deep 3ft wide, I want to put a culvert or something similar to hold more water. I dug a new hole roughly 8ftx8ft and 6-7ft deep. Has anyone else done this i'm trying to find pipe but it's hard where i'm at so now i'm considering cinderblock construction. If you have any tips or alternatives that would be greatly apricated. Picture of me pointing is where the water is coming out of so i'm thinking of backfilling with river rock up to that spot than building up from there and maybe adding a foot more of rock inside.
I would contact the county road dept. and ask who supplies their culverts. They should be able to point you in the right direction &/or might even have one they have pulled that you could purchase. I believe (99%) that they are engineered to endure specified load capacities which would be a nice reassurance for such a project.

I installed a collection manifold and back filled with river rock covered with a Thick plastic sheeting. A spring box separate out any silt.

These videos of my 2 springs may help.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyZW2YFIrtPAfMKteW_sEGk_7e97UJFd7&si=xLOYzbSWIQQ40CVO

Engineer775 has some good videos on developing a spring.

Ben

I don't know if this is the exact brand, as I don't see where it says it NSF 61 approved for potable water - https://www.gpfiberglass.com/products/well-casing but a corrugated fiberglass casing has been used for hundreds of wells in my area, where water is difficult to obtain. The larger casing provides more holding area. A length of this might be just the ticket for your installation, and would be easier to maneuver into place than a steel culvert and wouldn't impart any taste to the water.

Latest posts

Back