(rogue prosecutor?) Study: Many Herbal Supplements Aren't What the Label Says

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
Is this a case of an overzealous prosecutor?

"DNA testing on hundreds of bottles of store-brand herbal supplements sold as treatments for everything from memory loss to prostate trouble found that four out of five contained none of the herbs on the label. Instead, they were packed with cheap fillers such as wheat, rice, beans or houseplants"

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...l-targets-popular-herbal-supplements-28686772

"The American Botanical Council, a nonprofit research and education organization based in Austin, Texas, was particularly critical of the Guelph study.

"We raised the question if any of these products are extracts, and if so, what other analytical technologies were used to help ensure the validity of the results obtained by DNA testing," said Mark Blumenthal, the council's founder and director.

"DNA testing seldom is able to properly identify chemically complex herbal extracts, because often DNA doesn't get through the extraction process," Blumenthal said"

http://www.kusi.com/story/28054604/supplements-industry-derides-ny-attorney-generals-dna-tests

yeah..we saw that on the news last night...and thats pretty well messed up..and if i remember right..they NOT only don't help..but some can make you sick as well..

yeah..we saw that on the news last night...and thats pretty well messed up..and if i remember right..they NOT only don't help..but some can make you sick as well..

I think more testing from multiple sources needs to be done before we draw any conclusion, from everything I have read (not affiliated with sales and production) DNA alone would be inconclusive though if the story does pass peer review then a whole lot of people has an awful lot of questions to answer.

true..more testing has to be done..but i cant help but wonder,to how much truth there is to it..and im also wondering if the ppl that has been buying the diffrent items can or will get a refund.that is if they can one at all..

Latest posts

Back