Salt & BP meds: One of the Greatest Lies Ever Told to Humanity by Medicine'

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husband has to cut salt or he swells up like a balloon. It's not pretty, and happens fast. Even the IV bags in the hospital (saline) will do it.
I don't know anyone that is happy with BP meds
What MD.s don't tell people is the number of different body type combinations there are or that MD s are just agents for big pharma. once a persons body is messed up by there "medications" it is sometimes a long and difficult road to recovery. when often the origonal problem is /was the shortage of a mineral

Half true.
Heredity, and BMI (obesity), and stress are much bigger factors.
Salt-junkies that eat 2X-3X the normal amount of salt, can benefit from cutting back. True.
When I was a supervisor, our plant manager was thin as a rail and battled sky-high BP continuously. Stress.
If you are a 300lb woman with HBP, cutting out all salt won't make a dimes worth of difference. Obesity.
Many of my relatives that were skinny, fought HBP continuously. Heredity.
I fought HBP for decades when I worked. When I pulled the plug and retired, it vanished. Stress.
So he is correct, for the majority of HBP people, cutting salt intake will make little-no difference.

Just for some trivia, you do know that salt-substitute is radioactive, right?:p
f1big.png

Half true.
Heredity, and BMI (obesity), and stress are much bigger factors.
Salt-junkies that eat 2X-3X the normal amount of salt, can benefit from cutting back. True.
When I was a supervisor, our plant manager was thin as a rail and battled sky-high BP continuously. Stress.
If you are a 300lb woman with HBP, cutting out all salt won't make a dimes worth of difference. Obesity.
Many of my relatives that were skinny, fought HBP continuously. Heredity.
I fought HBP for decades when I worked. When I pulled the plug and retired, it vanished. Stress.
So he is correct, for the majority of HBP people, cutting salt intake will make little-no difference.

Just for some trivia, you do know that salt-substitute is radioactive, right?:p
View attachment 162230
heredity has to do with body types ,,and or combinations of body types.

Sometimes it has to do with what shape your body is in while taking the med, might just send you over the top. And how it's mixing with other meds.
Right now husband is trying to figure out his Vitamin C necessary to take with the new urology med he is supposed to take that requires C with it; when the C screws up his sugar readings and also his diabetic monitor. And he also has to judge how much water he drinks or else it screws up his potassium and sodium levels. This sounds easy for most people, unless you have someone already in bad shape and that some one is already on at least 20 different medications.
Saying salt won't mess with you would be true for most people, but not all. I remember my mom years back, was taking HBP med, then she lost 40 lbs, didn't need it anymore, but continued with it, so she kept passing out and hitting her head. My sis that was checking on her at the time in California put her away in a home because of that. Said she needed dementia meds too....so all of that made her a mess till we rescued her. She had 8 more good years after. No HBP meds or dementia meds.

Look up "Sodium Potassium Pump"
The short version is: Potassium in - Sodium out.

The problem is not necessarily an excess of sodium, it may be an imbalance between Sodium and Potassium. You need more potassium in your diet than sodium...and plenty of water.
When you sweat or urinate, you lose both sodium and potassium, so exercise alone cannot bring them into balance.

I have a chronic potassium deficiency, so I have to get a lot of potassium every day in my diets. Forget the pills, each pill is 2% of the daily requirement.

When I brought this up with my cardiologist he did not dispute it. And he told me that "magnesium helps you hold on to potassium."

At 25 I was very active and had high BP and struggled with it for many decades. At 71 I now have normal BP. Not high-normal, normal normal. Like 110/60-120/70 normal.

My dr has put me on 2000mg or less of salt per day. I've dropped 15 lbs, which was mostly fluid. Feet and legs are no longer swollen. It does help some folks, others not at all.
Agreed. Anyone making a claim that "lowering salt intake is a scam" is a complete idiot IMHO. I don't care what kind of degree credentials they have. Salt affects some people quite a bit. Others, not at all. Me, I can lap at the salt lick with the cows all day long and it won't affect me in the slightest (other than the slight off-taste due to all those cow tongues). But I have a friend who simply cannot keep his blood pressure stable if he eats a lot of salt. Going to a low sodium diet helped him massively. Not just with the high BP, but with his recently diagnosed CHF. He was able to get that so under control that they took him off of several of the meds they had recently prescribed for him. I was quite amazed. CHF is usually something you have to live with for the rest of your life. It can sometimes be controlled, effects of it lessened, and made relatively easy to live a long life with. But it is rarely reversible. In my friends case, his CHF reversed. If you look at his tests now, they do not suggest CHF. But since previously they did, that is all still watched closely by his doctors. What made the biggest difference for him was lowering his salt intake.

Last edited:
IIRC Urbans wife has CFH and has done well with lowering her salt intake.
I had a little too much salt last week, not a great deal but a couple meals bout out. I noticed some swelling come back, and gained 5lbs in 2 days. Dr have me weighing every morning and I caught that right away. Watching salt last few days closely and weight is right back where it was and swelling is gone again.
Like you said some folks are unaffected by salt, some are very sensitive to it.
Potassium and Magnesium are key elements and need to stay in balance. Same with sodium

Husband has to take potassium and magnesium, too, and eat foods high in both. He was so swollen from sodium intake during his five day hospital stay over Labor Day, it's taken this long to get the swelling down. They also gave him heart meds, and they made him pretty sick. His heart rate seems better now.

Could not get your video to play.

Back