Scott and Helen Nearing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
@Magpie mentioned the Nearings and there books in another thread..."Living the Good Life"...and a few others...i wanted to show her some old footage of the Nearings and a few other things too

Elliot Coleman was a world famous gardener with at least 2 tv shows an multiple books and lectures all over the world. Way back in the day the Nearings sold half of their property to Elliot and his first wife and they divorced and he was gone for years and then remarried to Barbara Damerash(sp) and she was a world famous gardener as well....anyway here a clip from him visiting Helen.

will post some video along the lines of the nearings and homesteading and frugal thoughts

I haven't watched any of the videos. I have one of their books that I've read. I'm not home where the book is.

They built buildings and fences with stone. That is so much work! While I have a book on building stone fences, I realize that is such hard work and can potentially cause so much hurt on a back.

I haven't watched any of the videos. I have one of their books that I've read. I'm not home where the book is.

They built buildings and fences with stone. That is so much work! While I have a book on building stone fences, I realize that is such hard work and can potentially cause so much hurt on a back.
I believe that the Nearings built a near perfect homestead at first in Vermont, but development around them made them choose to start over in Maine when they were considerably older, like 60 and 80. Those stone walls and the house and all that work were done by ‘old folks’, with help from others, I’m sure.
Thank you, Elkhound, for posting these videos. They are like a breath of fresh air and are a motivation that things can always be done.
To anyone who hasn’t read Living the Good Life or Loving and Leaving The Good Life, consider getting a copy. They are gold.

I believe that the Nearings built a near perfect homestead at first in Vermont, but development around them made them choose to start over in Maine when they were considerably older, like 60 and 80. Those stone walls and the house and all that work were done by ‘old folks’, with help from others, I’m sure.
Thank you, Elkhound, for posting these videos. They are like a breath of fresh air and are a motivation that things can always be done.
To anyone who hasn’t read Living the Good Life or Loving and Leaving The Good Life, consider getting a copy. They are gold.
Yes, they started somewhere and then moved and started over. It has been many years since I've read their book that I have.

I remember when I first found Backwards Home magazine- and was able to get it here on Kindle. Going to o back and read the Nearings; and maybe John Seymour. Feeling in need of a reminder of what it should be like.

Oh wow. I literally snagged the Nearings’ greenhouse book from a local Little Free Library last week, didn’t know there was video footage of them. I’ll have to check these out!

Latest posts

Back