Serious question, that might "PEE" you off.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes he is!! You don't have to be Snowman!! Be nice!!
Only if I get the treatment from others 1st...!!! Blame it where it Belongs...!!

What is the reason for such a question? This does not make any sense to me.
Well, if a member's overwhelming interest is Prepping over Political, then those members are not going to search through the restricted to political section, looking for prepping discussions. But for some reason some members see and focuses political in and on everything.

Maybe they do it intentionally, I don't know why maybe they hate prepping, so they consistently turn a prepping discussion into a political discussion. Then moderators moved thread to the political section. It bewilders me why so many can't just leave the prepping section alone.

I suspect it might be that many can talk and post for hours or all day about political thoughts/ideas/belief. But they are hard pressed to engage a prepping discussion; maybe because they feel they lack the depth of knowledge to engage others in a prepping discussion.

It might be that the prepping section and discussions there, "Frightens" them, maybe it scares them. Maybe they fear those posting in the prepping section, know something they don't know, or they have intentionally blocked out of their awareness. I think there are some members here who would be ecstatic if there was no prepping section.

Last edited:
Well, if a member's overwhelming interest is Prepping over Political, then those members are not going to search through the restricted to political section, looking for prepping discussions. But for some reason some members see and focuses political in and on everything.

Maybe they do it intentionally, I don't know why maybe they hate prepping, so they consistently turn a prepping discussion into a political discussion. Then moderators moved thread to the political section. It bewilders me why so many can't just leave the prepping section alone.

I suspect it might be that many can talk and post for hours or all day about political thoughts/ideas/belief. But they are hard pressed to engage a prepping discussion; maybe because they feel they lack the depth of knowledge to engage others in a prepping discussion.

It might be that the prepping section and discussions there, "Frightens" them, maybe it scares them. Maybe they fear those posting in the prepping section, know something they don't know, or they have intentionally blocked out of their awareness. I think there are some members here who would be ecstatic if there was no prepping section.
Obsession with politics puts someone at the most tunnel visioned end of the normalcy bias spectrum.

It shows they are bound up in the "moment" of current events. They fail to see the big picture.....like the reality that solely discussing politics in a forum of 100% like minded people doesn't have any prospect of changing the outcome of an election.

Elections are decided by the <10% of people who are swinging voters.......the >90% that only ever vote blue or red are all just along for the ride.

Their vote is (rightly) taken for granted.

As to why people feel the need to trash prepping discussions....I assess that is part denial, part boredom and part vandalism.

The denial bit is the most dangerous:

Phases​

Amanda Ripley, author of The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes – and Why, identifies common response patterns of people in disasters and explains that there are three phases of response: "denial, deliberation, and the decisive moment". With regard to the first phase, described as "denial", Ripley found that people were likely to deny that a disaster was happening. It takes time for the brain to process information and recognize that a disaster is a threat. In the "deliberation" phase, people have to decide what to do. If a person does not have a plan in place, this causes a serious problem because the effects of life-threatening stress on the body (e.g. tunnel vision, audio exclusion, time dilations, out-of-body experiences, or reduced motor skills) limit an individual's ability to perceive information and make plans. Ripley asserts that in the third and final phase, described as the "decisive moment", a person must act quickly and decisively. Failure to do so can result in injury or death. She explains that the faster someone can get through the denial and deliberation phases, the quicker they will reach the decisive moment and begin to take action.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias

The vandalism is the part that reflects most negatively upon those involved.

The biggest risk for a forum like this is.....an election comes along.......and the discussion becomes almost entirely about politics.......when people who want to talk about the subject matter of the forum push back against this, they are attacked (by the politics posters who are mostly bitter/twisted/argumentative)......many of them leave.....and then when the election is over, the politics posters all just sort of disappear (some of them like they never existed...hint...hint).

After that sequence of events, a forum can end up like a post-election ghost town.

When posters leave with a bad taste in their mouth....many never come back.

The above has happened to other forums many times before.

It has happened to some of the best members this forum has ever had.

Speaking "strictly" for myself, "The Fourth Turning" can NOT be mitigated or stopped. This to me renders any and all political discussion a sad waste of critical time, that would be far-far better invested in prepping for surviving "The Fourth Turning".

Obsession with politics puts someone at the most tunnel visioned end of the normalcy bias spectrum.

"Obsession with prepping puts someone at the most tunnel visioned end of the doomsayer spectrum."

Be careful when trying to belittle others. That can backfire on you. I only changed two words in your sentence.

The pot calling the kettle black. It cuts both ways. The other side of the coin. And all those other sayings that describe a similar concept. You should understand that others sometimes have different viewpoints than you do. And their viewpoints are every bit as relevant and acceptable as yours.

And their viewpoints are every bit as relevant and acceptable as yours.
Then why not stay in the political section. Why do you and @Supervisor42 feel the need to disrupt the prepping section. Have you ever noticed that I NEVER-EVER come to the political section "PERIOD". I am only there if a moderator moved one of my threads over there.

Here is my proposal to @Swing. I propose that if I ever go to the political section and raise hell, that you lock me out of that political section for 90 days. Same with those who intentional raise hell in the prepping section, give them 90 day of locked out of the prepping section.

Last edited:
one thing i will ad to those cant stand prepping or survival threads etc...this forum was merged with a purely dedicated prepping forum titled doomsday preppers and that domain name directs directly here so it highly probable that slowly over time theres going to be more and more threads discussing prepping and survival.

its an election year....and it shows on many levels from forums to real life.

Then why not stay in the political section.
Why do you and @Supervisor42 feel the need to disrupt the prepping section.

No one is disrupting this thread. Especially @Supervisor42, who hasn't even posted here. The thread has indeed wandered around a bit. But I submit that is not because anyone is trying to "disrupt" it. It's because you asked such a bizarre question that nobody knows how to respond to it. Prepping evidently means something very very specific to you. But you fail to understand that prepping may well include getting your household ready for adverse effects from politics to other people.

Your response here is especially bewildering given your opening post asked if people would rather write an essay on politics or survival. You specifically invited discussion around "politics" in the opening post! But somehow, responding and mentioning politics is now a no-no? How bizarre. Well, people tried to answer your strange question, but invariably fell short of your expectations.

FWIW, your thread here has nothing to do with prepping, even though it was started in the prepping section, masquerading as asking a question. I highly doubt that was the real intent, but that's just my opinion. You asked about writing essays - you should have started the thread in the "Off Topic" section if you wanted to follow your own rules.

one thing i will ad to those cant stand prepping or survival threads etc...this forum was merged with a purely dedicated prepping forum titled doomsday preppers and that domain name directs directly here so it highly probable that slowly over time theres going to be more and more threads discussing prepping and survival.

its an election year....and it shows on many levels from forums to real life.
Correct.

The nameplate subject matter of this forum is now homesteading and prepping.

All other subject matter is secondary to those two subjects.

Attacks against the fundamentals of/need for those two nameplate subjects should be treated as trolling (which it fundamentally is).

The politics problem might settle after the election. My eyes were opened when the MAG I was involved in while living in New Mexico were all gung ho about learning/teaching prepper skills. It was a good group, and I appreciated every person. Until the election. Their guy won that election, and the MAG disbanded. Why? Because they thought he was going to make it all better and there'd be no need to prepare anymore. I couldn't believe it.

It shows they are bound up in the "moment" of current events. They fail to see the big picture.....like the reality that solely discussing politics in a forum of 100% like minded people doesn't have any prospect of changing the outcome of an election.

Elections are decided by the <10% of people who are swinging voters.......the >90% that only ever vote blue or red are all just along for the ride.

Their vote is (rightly) taken for granted.

As to why people feel the need to trash prepping discussions....I assess that is part denial, part boredom and part vandalism.

The denial bit is the most dangerous:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias

The vandalism is the part that reflects most negatively upon those involved.
🙄🙄🙄

The politics problem might settle after the election. My eyes were opened when the MAG I was involved in while living in New Mexico were all gung ho about learning/teaching prepper skills. It was a good group, and I appreciated every person. Until the election. Their guy won that election, and the MAG disbanded. Why? Because they thought he was going to make it all better and there'd be no need to prepare anymore. I couldn't believe it.
thats par for the course with prepping groups, had the same myself.
prepping groups all fall apart long before TS ever HTF.

Won't hear this from Me but You Will hear it soon from another :

"Respect Your Elders"...!!! 🤣

Latest posts

Back