Slingshot Rubber

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I’m looking to order spare rubber for a slingshot. I’m under the impression that flat bands are better. What thickness do I want? I’ve seen thicknesses range from 0.8MM to 2.0MM.

The place to ask is here:

https://www.slingshotforum.com/forums/

If you are going to be cutting your own bands from wider pieces, do it on a good cutting board surface with a single straight stroke of a razor blade (Exacto knife). Not scissors. One little nick or uneven spot and the bands you are cutting will be ruined. It's like the bagged noodles, mashed potatoes, whatever you get at the grocery store. They have an intentional little nick where you can easily tear open the package. But without that nick to get your tear started, those bags are impossible to just rip open with your hands. Or you can just buy pre-cut bands.

The place to ask is here:

https://www.slingshotforum.com/forums/

If you are going to be cutting your own bands from wider pieces, do it on a good cutting board surface with a single straight stroke of a razor blade (Exacto knife). Not scissors. One little nick or uneven spot and the bands you are cutting will be ruined. It's like the bagged noodles, mashed potatoes, whatever you get at the grocery store. They have an intentional little nick where you can easily tear open the package. But without that nick to get your tear started, those bags are impossible to just rip open with your hands. Or you can just buy pre-cut bands.
I think that I bit off more than I was expecting. As with many things, if you want to be good there is a lot to learn. Looks like I’ll have to buy multiple sets of bands and see what works for me. Thanks to all.

Wow, found an old picture
Monkey fists and bolo I made and sold back in the day
IMG_1237.jpeg

After reading the thread about slingshots I have been looking at videos.
There are so many choices it's hard to make a decision.
I might but me a new slingshot just to play with.
If I do it will have flat bands.
Get a hathcock and you can use both on the same frame. You can also shoot arrows. It was my favorite when I was into it and I had a few pricier ones back in the day... I'll see if I cannot dig up some pictures sometime.

For a short time I carried a sling shot while still hunting.. The thought being to lob an occasional marble size stone into the bush distracting any game that may be watching you and getting them to move and reveal themselves.. In a slight way it seemed to work..

For a short time I carried a sling shot while still hunting.. The thought being to lob an occasional marble size stone into the bush distracting any game that may be watching you and getting them to move and reveal themselves.. In a slight way it seemed to work..
My BIL used me and his son to birddog till we figured out what he was doing.

I might but me a new slingshot just to play with.
If I do it will have flat bands.
You could also get silicone plugs to make a tubing slingshot work with flatbands:
https://www.dankung.com/product/3-p...oop-band-slingshot-to-flatband-slingshot_3302

This is my personal favorite slingshot. The "Palm Thunder". Smaller works better for me than larger (there is less torque on your wrist that is caused buy the pull on higher forks):
https://www.dankung.com/Gcontent/black-palm-thunderusa_1263

Here is the main page for slingshots from Dankung - this is the company I buy from in China, the one that has a good reputation:
https://www.dankung.com/outdoor-products/field_category/dankung-has-best-slingshots?v=menu

Many people will grab a slingshot by it's handle, with a large part of it sticking up above your hand. Like you would hold a hammer. But much better is to hold it very high up, with your fingers supporting the forks. This type of hold leaves you with very little torque on your wrist. It is much easier to shoot, and more accurate. Your index finger wraps around the frame (thus the frame presses on your proximal phylange). Your thumb pushes on the frame.

HowToHoldSlingshot.png

The picture below shows where the forks will press against your hand if you hold the slingshot as in the picture above:

hand.jpg

The most expensive slingshot I owned was a "SERE" something slingshot- I hardly remember. It could be broken down and stored flat made of aluminum. It had a removable arrow rest and the flatlands (it could also do tubes) were quickly changeable via thumb screws which allowed for an arrow specific set of bands to be utilized- I don't have a picture of the simple hook release I made from aluminum.
NCM_0384.JPG
NCM_0382.JPG

Cool concept- didn't work nearly aswell as you'd think.

The far superior option was the hathcock.
NCM_0354.JPG

Just had a little divet rest for arrows- which worked surprisingly well. for carved wooden shafts you just made a little pinch grip knock like the plains Indians and didn't add a knock. I messed around with a few other things- like for modern arrows using a screw in insert where the knock is and then screwing on a small gumball sized wooden spherical bead so I didnt have to use arrow specific bands and a release.
There was another divet on the frame that the rubber would mold into when the bands were stretched acting as a rudimentary front sight sight- I found as long as my form was good and my bands were straight (not difficult because I was an archery nerd) the front sight was surprisingly accurate. The hathcock was far superior imo.

Here are my slingshots. I put the Palm Thunder in all of the pictures to use as a size reference. The Marksman 3040 in the bottom picture is one of the "wrist rocket" types that has the support that swings up and goes on top of your forearm. The Palm Thunder is my favorite, by far. My least favorite is the Marksman. The PFS ("Pickle Fork Shooter") is a fun toy that was made by a member of SlingShotForums.

slingshots_1.jpg

MoreComparisons.jpg

YetMoreComparisons.jpg

Here is the contraption I made to make it easier to tie the pouches onto the band sets (you usually need several more hands than the average human has to do this!)

BandTieing.jpg

That PVC contraption and clamps does many different things besides just a slingshot band maker. It holds my spotting scope. And it's a rifle stand for cleaning Mosin-Nagants!

Scope_stand.jpg

Rifle_vise.jpg

I've been dabbling with slingshot. a bit lately. There is a guy on YouTube and he wrote some articles for backwoodsman magazine. His name is Madison Parker. He's retired now though.. he had some strong opinions on what to use for bands. It's worth a look
We used inter tube from an bike tire as a child, but now we use surgical tubing for sling shots.
If you use the leather pouch shepherd sling, then no tubing is needed. Also the atlatl spear is alone the same line.

traditional slingshots over here have round bands.
That is what I grew up with. I read a couple articles where people favoured the flat rubber so I decided to try that this time. Some slingshots are designed to take either.

Back