Smoked Apple

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_marsh

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Last night I went to smoke/grill some ribeyes using lump charcoal and a few chunks of wood. That stupid little metal clip that holds my temperature probe in place on the grates snapped off and became useless. I needed something so I grabbed a honey crisp apple, jammed the temp probe through it and tossed it on the indirect heat side of the kettle. And it worked. 25 minutes later I devoured a perfectly cooked and properly seared chunk of beef. When I pulled off the steaks I thought, I wonder if this apple tastes good? So I put it on the meat pan and when I was done eating meat and veggies I sliced it up. It was pretty good, sweet and smokey, better than I excepted. Now the next time I grill or smoke anything I am going to throw a couple apples on too. Only this time I think I might cut them in half and sprinkle them with brown sugar and cinnamon first. I'm sure you country folk have been doing stuff like this for years, but it was knew for me.

Last night I went to smoke/grill some ribeyes using lump charcoal and a few chunks of wood. That stupid little metal clip that holds my temperature probe in place on the grates snapped off and became useless. I needed something so I grabbed a honey crisp apple, jammed the temp probe through it and tossed it on the indirect heat side of the kettle. And it worked. 25 minutes later I devoured a perfectly cooked and properly seared chunk of beef. When I pulled off the steaks I thought, I wonder if this apple tastes good? So I put it on the meat pan and when I was done eating meat and veggies I sliced it up. It was pretty good, sweet and smokey, better than I excepted. Now the next time I grill or smoke anything I am going to throw a couple apples on too. Only this time I think I might cut them in half and sprinkle them with brown sugar and cinnamon first. I'm sure you country folk have been doing stuff like this for years, but it was knew for me.
Poke some vent holes liked a baked potato.

Ben

I used to make baked apples for my kids.
As far as the smoked apple, for centuries folks have used sweet sauce with their meats. I bet the combo would be delicious together.

I just found this thread. What a GREAT idea Marsh! I never would have thought to grill apples.

I'm glad I found this b/c we just got a trailer full of honeycrisp apples for critter food from a local orchard. They couldn't sell them to customers b/c they were apples that dropped to the ground. So, $100 netted hubby a full trailer of apples.:thumbs: While transferring some of the apples to crates, we pulled several out that were pristine. I'd say probably 80% of them could easily be used for any apple concoction imaginable. I really should make some applesauce, but I'm making apple crisp casseroles right now to put in the freezer.

Hubby asked, "why apple crisp and not apple pie?" He really was not complaining but was just curious. Well, for one, I'm not much of a baker.....or at least I haven't really given it much effort. Plus, for me anyways, this seems really easy without a ton of sugar. I'd rather rely on the sweetness of the apple itself. With my recipe, I don't have to add a lot of extra stuff and it still tastes amazing hot out of the oven! It's also pretty darned good cold, which is how I ate it last night.

Here's my easy Apple Crisp recipe:

3/4 cup sugar
heaping 1/2 cup of flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 heaping tsp cinnamon
1 stick softened (or melted) butter
apples
8 x 8 inch glass pan

Chop apples into bite sized pieces to fill the pan about 2/3 to 3/4 full to the top of the pan. Mix the sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and butter in a bowl until combined. Add granola, honey, molases, vanilla, dried cranberries, or whatever other ingredients you like into the apples or crust mix. Although, it still tastes great if you decide to add nothing else. Top the apples with the mixture in the bowl covering the top of the apples. Bake uncovered at 375 for 45 minutes or until the top is browned. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired and enjoy!

I keep the skin on the apples b/c I like the fiber but you can remove the skin if you wish. I also add some granola and drizzle honey over the apples before topping it with the 'crust' mixture. It's easy to add or subtract pretty much anything to your desired level. You can also add canned apple pie mix if you prefer more sweetness. I love that the ingredients are staples so you don't have to go shopping in order to make this fall treat. I make several at once and freeze them if I have lots of apples to use up.

I just found this thread. What a GREAT idea Marsh! I never would have thought to grill apples.

I'm glad I found this b/c we just got a trailer full of honeycrisp apples for critter food from a local orchard. They couldn't sell them to customers b/c they were apples that dropped to the ground. So, $100 netted hubby a full trailer of apples.:thumbs: While transferring some of the apples to crates, we pulled several out that were pristine. I'd say probably 80% of them could easily be used for any apple concoction imaginable. I really should make some applesauce, but I'm making apple crisp casseroles right now to put in the freezer.

Hubby asked, "why apple crisp and not apple pie?" He really was not complaining but was just curious. Well, for one, I'm not much of a baker.....or at least I haven't really given it much effort. Plus, for me anyways, this seems really easy without a ton of sugar. I'd rather rely on the sweetness of the apple itself. With my recipe, I don't have to add a lot of extra stuff and it still tastes amazing hot out of the oven! It's also pretty darned good cold, which is how I ate it last night.

Here's my easy Apple Crisp recipe:

3/4 cup sugar
heaping 1/2 cup of flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 heaping tsp cinnamon
1 stick softened (or melted) butter
apples
8 x 8 inch glass pan

Chop apples into bite sized pieces to fill the pan about 2/3 to 3/4 full to the top of the pan. Mix the sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and butter in a bowl until combined. Add granola, honey, molases, vanilla, dried cranberries, or whatever other ingredients you like into the apples or crust mix. Although, it still tastes great if you decide to add nothing else. Top the apples with the mixture in the bowl covering the top of the apples. Bake uncovered at 375 for 45 minutes or until the top is browned. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired and enjoy!

I keep the skin on the apples b/c I like the fiber but you can remove the skin if you wish. I also add some granola and drizzle honey over the apples before topping it with the 'crust' mixture. It's easy to add or subtract pretty much anything to your desired level. You can also add canned apple pie mix if you prefer more sweetness. I love that the ingredients are staples so you don't have to go shopping in order to make this fall treat. I make several at once and freeze them if I have lots of apples to use up.

I have also started grilling and smoking peaches and pears. I like to keep expanding my horizons.

Latest posts

Back