So, our car won't start. 91' Volvo 740

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexandra

Super Friend
Neighbor
Yep, so here's the story.

It's become a little bit warmer here in the north (at that time we were starting to get temperatures above 0 degrees celcius) and summer is closing in. The sun won't go down and the snow is melting away.
Me and my boyfriend had earlier that day taken the car to school (we're in the same class) and the car ran like normal. At the end of the day, we were on our way home and the car felt funny. The car belongs to my boyfriend and luckily, he was the one driving. Eventually, the car wouldn't shift gear and our top speed were 10km/t. As you may have noticed, it's an automatic.
We pulled over and requested a tow. At that point the car would start and run just fine.
We got the tow, but on our way back home (just a kilometer or two) the dashboard looked like a Christmas tree and the engine stalled.

The car is a 91' Volvo 740 with B230F engine, runs on gasoline, automatic gearshift.
We have replaced the spark-plugs and following wiring to the alternator.
The fuel pump is working.
We found out that there is a wire issue somewhere because the fuse to our rear foglight.

The spark plugs gives of a bad spark. We can churn the engine but it wont start. When we use start spray, it may run for a second if we're lucky.

Any idea where we should start? I think it might be a sensor somewhere or maybe the brain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i know this will cost money.but the best thing i know to do..is to take it in.and have a complete diagnostic test done..this way yall will know exactly whats wrong..on acount it could be a number of things.bad wiring.bad connection(s).computer board going.to what ever..

The day that car is taken in is the day they stop taking blood money. Not really sure they even have the equipment or knowledge to do so

It's become a little bit warmer here in the north (at that time we were starting to get temperatures above 0 degrees celcius) and summer is closing in. The sun won't go down and the snow is melting away.
Me and my boyfriend had earlier that day taken the car to school (we're in the same class) and the car ran like normal. At the end of the day, we were on our way home and the car felt funny. The car belongs to my boyfriend and luckily, he was the one driving. Eventually, the car wouldn't shift gear and our top speed were 10km/t. As you may have noticed, it's an automatic.
We pulled over and requested a tow. At that point the car would start and run just fine.
We got the tow, but on our way back home (just a kilometer or two) the dashboard looked like a Christmas tree and the engine stalled.

The car is a 91' Volvo 740 with B230F engine, runs on gasoline, automatic gearshift.
We found out that there is a wire issue somewhere because the fuse to our rear foglight.

The spark plugs gives of a bad spark. We can churn the engine but it wont start. When we use start spray, it may run for a second if we're lucky.

Any idea where we should start? I think it might be a sensor somewhere or maybe the brain.

I'm no mechanic but I've owned mostly European cars. In my experience 90% of the time it's usually a sensor/electronic issue. I know people who have pushed specific Volvo models towards the 300k mile mark.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk

http://www.volvo-forums.com

You might have a better bet checking out one of the Volvo forums. I'm sure someone can help you trouble shoot problem over there. Sorry I couldn't be of better help.

have that fuel pump checked,when they go usually they quit period some will lose power getting just enough gas to let the engine run,,,,it could be a sensor also,sensors cost to much to play hit and miss by replacing them yourself in hope of getting the right one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bite the bullet and take it in to a shop,,,in the long run that will save you some time and money

(Eventually, the car wouldn't shift gear and our top speed were 10km/t. As you may have noticed, it's an automatic.
We pulled over and requested a tow. At that point the car would start and run just fine).....that could be two issues, could be a clogged
fuel filter or pump, BUT it sounds like it could be a bad coil or pickup also.

(We have replaced the spark-plugs and following wiring to the alternator) not a spark plug issue.

(We found out that there is a wire issue somewhere because the fuse to our rear foglight) does the fuse blow when you replace it ? Probably very doubtful if fog light fuse is tied to anything that would have any control over engine management....

(The spark plugs gives of a bad spark. We can churn the engine but it wont start. When we use start spray, it may run for a second if we're lucky). Bad spark ? If engine starts and run on spray it is not spark plugs.....

Volvo's and like euro cars are notorious for electrical issues....IMO it is possibly an ignition box/coil issue....second would be if it has a separate regulator for the alternator....I don't see it being a fuel or spark issue.....It could be a simple ground issue, I would also check ground cable form battery to frame and from engine to frame, a loose ground can create a lot of issues.....

Well, we found the issue a while ago. Turns out that someone have been stealing gas.... we tanked just two days prior to the car stoping so I can safely say that my boyfriend were mildly pissed.

However, there is still some electrical issues. The fuse does not goe to the rear foglights or to the low beams where it's supposed to. Also, the seatwarmers are non functional. The fuse to somethingsomething will blow the second the ignition it turned on.

I suspect the previous owners have done something hokus pokus but have NO idea what

I have a 1991 Volvo 240 . The tail lights on one side will not work so I keep the fog lights on so i don't get pulled over . I do not drive it much anymore . Just a ride around om day off car . Almost 400.000 miles for a Volvo thats broke in .

Latest posts

Back