SURVIVAL "COFFEE" in an all Sides & TOP & Bottom Can. (No Tinfoil)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Does any ground coffee retailer offer coffee in a CAN with CAN on Top & Bottom & Sides.....??? Not that goofy tinfoil vacuum seal top.

Are you looking for something like this? Looks like tin on all sides. Just my guess.

1717868680656.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Tim-Hortons-...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584207591821809&psc=1

YES, but with the Top metal just like the bottom and sides. Much coffee now comes in fake can made of paper; however some also comes with tin can on sides and bottom, but the top is a vacuum seal made of tinfoil.

YES, but with the Top metal just like the bottom and sides. Much coffee now comes in fake can made of paper; however some also comes with tin can on sides and bottom, but the top is a vacuum seal made of tinfoil.
So, you're looking for one like the old ones, that you need a can opener to open, like this one?
636ec1dd3ded46a4832704a11214adc5.jpg

...I think they are extinct.
They must be able to sell to lazy people today. :(

A thought.... How about a hardware store, craft store paint can ?? All metal, likely a good storage container, but a pain in the neck to open, close everyday ??

I have been on a serious campaign to repackage all dry food into half gal. or full gallon or larger glass mason jars.

AKOLAFE 6 Pack Large Coffee Canisters with Airtight Lids 32 OZ Empty Coffee Container for Ground Coffee Storage Kitchen Canister Set Tea Storage Containers Metal Can Tea Tins for Loose Tea Bean Sugar https://a.co/d/6hWWMkp

Ben

Does any ground coffee retailer offer coffee in a CAN with CAN on Top & Bottom & Sides.....??? Not that goofy tinfoil vacuum seal top.
CAN is short for container, which use to be glass or metal, but you mean metal.
Answer is NO!
It is to costly, some are plastic, other are tin (thin metal) on top & bottom Cardboard on sides.
Europe has went to mostly bag & brick (vacuum seal bags) coffee.
The main reason is weight, DOT will only let you haul so much weight on public roads.
The lighter the can/container the more coffee per pound/ the most profit per load.
Also most cardboard & plastic cost less than metal & much lighter.

Plastic allows O2 to pass through. Metal and glass are impermeable. Most of the cardboard canisters that I’ve seen have a foil O2 barrier on the inside, this help with shelf life but not so much with water or rodents.

Brick Coffee has a one way valve & it is a jerk to set up for a new run, the valve must be inline every time.
When Can Coffee was put in sealed metal cans, it was degassed first.
It is still degassed, but not as long with the new cans.

A thought... ??
Can you reclose the foil bags with the valve in them and vacuum seal them in a bell jar type vacuum chamber ??

Put it in an ammo can with a sock full of instant rice, then Crisco the seal. Mine lasted 5+ years but it needs to sit overnight when you open a bag.

A thought... ??
Can you reclose the foil bags with the valve in them and vacuum seal them in a bell jar type vacuum chamber ??
All the sealed packages have a food grade plastic inter film or the whole package, that is the seal (glue if you will), so I would say yes.
But I never tried this & you may have to change the heat from high to low or shorten the time of the seal.
It should work after some trial & error, same with convenience pouch for tacos or quick fix dinners.

I just did a search and you can get freeze dried coffee in number 10 cans. Not sure that’s what you’re looking for. I get Hills Bros but it’s the thick tin foil stuff on top. 😏

I just did a search and you can get freeze dried coffee in number 10 cans. Not sure that’s what you’re looking for. I get Hills Bros but it’s the thick tin foil stuff on top. 😏
Got a link,Please.
Way back when Fresco had the big Earthquake that took down the six layered highway ramps (1989?), Hills Brother had built a new processing plant.
It was about a month from production when the EQ flatten it.
So we got a contract to package Hills Brother until they got the plant rebuilt.
But I never drink it.

Got a link,Please.
Way back when Fresco had the big Earthquake that took down the six layered highway ramps (1989?), Hills Brother had built a new processing plant.
It was about a month from production when the EQ flatten it.
So we got a contract to package Hills Brother until they got the plant rebuilt.
But I never drink it.
I don't order it online. I get it locally at BiMart for about $7-$8 per can (sometimes on sale for less).
Best price I see online is actually at hillsbros.com.

Latest posts

Back