The risk of underestimating your "enemy"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of us here are willing to sacrifice our kids/grand kids for the sake of standing our ground when we have other means to get them out of harms way though that doesn't mean we will make it comfortable for our guest, I think today they call it asymmetric ;)
Did not for a moment think that anyone would put their kids family or friends in harms way just for the sake keeping a piece of land. Through my own experiences here there are a lot poeple out here that are totally over confident in their abilities to do certain things and they regard their "guests" as stupid and untrained. On the asymmetric side, i hope we havent lost the ability that our grand daddies had see "2nd Anglo Boer War". I know your grand daddies did the same against the British and in your own civil war.

Defense is what is required if you teach your kids or grand kids they have some means of defence.

My kids and grand kids are quite capable of handling a firearm though no one is going to put them in harms way when other options are available, there is a time and place to pick a fight just not when kids are around! rule one, never box yourself in, always leave a way out, ya, shxt happens and there may be a time when we all must fight but not until all options have been exhausted and we are left with no other choice.

I think the worst case would be dealing with mass numbers of poeple that is intent on ridding you of your preps (food)

The masses scare easily. A few dead, and they lose their stomach for it.

The greater concern, will be any gangs made up of, and led by, former military, etc. These guys will be trained marksmen, tacticians, etc.

Against a good number of these folks, our plan is likely going to be to run or make a deal. Personally, I'd rather make a resupply deal with them...with them recognizing they won't have the skills to keep replenishable food and water going, replenishable medicinals, etc., but in exchange for some scrounged items and peace, we could provide these.

A lot would depend on how they approached. If openly, we may talk. If not, and in a more offensive position, we'll likely do plan B....run and wait them out. I say wait them out, because they'll succumb to some presents we'll leave behind, so within a week or so, we'll just have to pick off any survivors, and clean up the bodies, repair any damage, etc.

The even bigger danger though, is the same type of gang, although led by someone who doesn't really consider the future. This guy may kill all the animals for food, not considering that a chicken lays eggs each day, etc., and may even burn the place down if we leave. These are the kinds of folks that would keep me up at night.

I have never been a great believer in "the golden hordes".....not in the UK anyway!! my main concern is the people living nearby and how they will react in an event, however the main consensus is that as most are locals and come from nearby towns originally that is where they will go in an emergency.

I don't have the problem with gangs sure it's ten thousand rand or a thousand dollars to build but I finished my thirteen kilo shells. Due to the plasma in it as soon as it is exposed to carbon dioxide, which is why the head is so easy to break, anything within five to six hundred meters is burnt to a crisp with the equivalent of a lightning bolt for every ten cubic centimeters. But that in its own is underestimation.

Latest posts

Back