The Top Fears of Doomsday Preppers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats why i started my own garden.there's not always time going to the store or produce stand for veggies.plus home grown is much better..and canning your own foods.is a big time,time saver when needed.especilly when you can just grab a jar of food for 1 meal after there's no electric and all..

Exactly, I can't wait to start stocking up our own home-canned veggies and fruits.

know the growing season just ened here but I'm already waiting and planning for the next one,even more now that I applied for that school,just hopeing for nice weather next season...but aren't we all ;)

and your own produce saves some money also

im still getting to know the summer crops..and haven't even looked into the winter crops yet..in which i do need to at least get started on learning.then start buying the seeds...

a big sigh,I'm in the process of rigging a flower lamp for my herbs,the only thing I can grow here for now...

get a slow cooker, put it on when you go out in the morning and it'll have your meal ready when you come home.

Here in the Philippines its very normal for a 8 hr. powercut due to rotating scheduled or a day without water, so we're used to it and always have a supply of drinking and washing/toilet water as well as food, gas supply and wood with woodstove, we can practice 3/4 times a month?? Make you aware of the shortcomings but alert to be prepared??
Big bummer in brownout because Internet/computer fall out, where I spend a lot of time when in town? We live mostly in town because of the schools, they can walk from the house, in the mountain I need to drive them?

in a way it's to bad that most folks dont see a brown out every once a while.on account that alone will teach at least some folks to stock up on foods water and other items that are needed dureing times like that..then they might learn why folks like us prepare for the worst,and hope it dont happen..

in a way it's to bad that most folks dont see a brown out every once a while.on account that alone will teach at least some folks to stock up on foods water and other items that are needed dureing times like that..then they might learn why folks like us prepare for the worst,and hope it dont happen..
I agree, it might get some to wake up and start thinking about how to live without all our convienices.

living without power is not difficult, it just requires different thinking, wife and I have both lived without power, mains water, sewage plants, but there are many who have had no experience of this and who think it would be "like living in the middle ages".

I think if Nat Geo asked us over this side of the pond number one would be Islamic extremism and expansionism, two the EUssr, three economic collapse, 4 pandemic, 5 war with Russia.

from my point it's ; 1/mad-Vlad, 2/mad-Vlad, 3/mad-Vlad,4/islamic terrorism, 5/pandemic....top 3 goes to my utterly crazy neighbor..depends how many scumbags actually return back from fighting along ISIS number 4 might be higher,but 3 spots are reserved for mad-Vlad....

from a UK centric point of view I think NR's got it about right, just not sure about number 5 personally speaking.

cities will always have it worse purely due to sheer weight of numbers.

For me, economic collapse is #1. on my list of concerns (and the military rule that follows). A terrorist attack on the grid is #2. An intentional Pandemic is #3. Followed by a BRICS war at #4.

I think an economic collapse/depression is the most likely before too long. I doubt we will get much advance warning of it either. I'm not as worried about it, as much as the civil unrest it will bring. A pandemic, natural or otherwise, is probably the scariest thing, and harder to protect yourself from. Lastly would be a terrorist attack, espechially if it involved a nuke plant. I can only imagine what it's like for all the people leaving the contaminated areas in Japan, after working all their lives to build their homes and livelihoods. So my vote is economic #1, society collapse is 2, disease being 3, and terrorist attack rounding out the list. In all honesty though, I really don't worry much about any of them. I prepare as much as I can, and will try to make the best out of any situation I am ever thrown in.

Likewise re economic recession/depression/collapse. The first two I don't care about as I'm insulated from all that and ROL will largely prevail.

Collapse (not GFC style that was nothing, total collapse, no money in banks etc etc) is a different issue, I'm also insulating myself against that (money wise) but the ensuing WROL will be much harder to deal with.

Looking at it objectively I think a reset has to happen for the long term good of the people (those that survive that is), but subjectively I want the status quo to continue so I can just sit on my land and talk to the wallabies and do a little shooting at the range when it suites me.

Likewise re economic recession/depression/collapse. The first two I don't care about as I'm insulated from all that and ROL will largely prevail.

Collapse (not GFC style that was nothing, total collapse, no money in banks etc etc) is a different issue, I'm also insulating myself against that (money wise) but the ensuing WROL will be much harder to deal with.

Looking at it objectively I think a reset has to happen for the long term good of the people (those that survive that is), but subjectively I want the status quo to continue so I can just sit on my land and talk to the wallabies and do a little shooting at the range when it suites me.
I agree, I'm pretty comfortable with my life right now and really don't want to see a dramatic change anytime soon. Years ago I was pretty ambitious, now relaxing and enjoying good food is much higher on my priority scale. However, I do like knowing I'm more prepared than most to continue having some comforts no matter what happens.

ROL = Rule of Law, WROL = Without Rule of Law, for some of our newer preppers. ;)

No matter what the trigger event, if a global or nationwide catastrophe, the real problems we'll face are pretty much the same...

1. Grid going down (so includes all that entails)
2. Lack of resources due to trucks not rolling
3. Military law in urban centers
4. Desperate, hungry people that will do anything for resources
5. Lack of sanitation leading to disease and illness in cities
6. Eventually organized gangs looking to take resources from others (some of which are likely to be former law enforcement or military, now using their equipment to ensure their survival)
7. People who, without authority, will succumb to base instincts, including formerly unimaginable crimes.

Latest posts

Back