This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody got a good idea on where to buy good heirloom seeds! Prefer a box store if possible, that way I can get what I want.
Based on the responses maybe the question should be the seed company recommendations

I was actually able to plant some okra and squash seeds. Some of the seeds sprout and are dying and I'm thinking it's too much nitrogen. I put more chicken poop on garden than usual because I couldn't walk to the compost pile . It was too far from house. Thinking of trying to add ashes and dig a large hole and adding potting soil to neutralize the nitrogen.

G'day everyone haven't exactly had an opportunity to do anything as were only 2 weeks away from winter here in South Australia but did get a chance to put up my amateur long wire antenna in the front yard albeit it took a little bit of ingenuity and creativity in keeping the wires clear of my toyota rav 4 which is parked on the lawn as well

Now I've got tx and rx capabilities so if things do go belly up I'm able to keep in the loop plus my hf transceiver also has battery backup in event of a power outage

Here's a lil something I got a few days ago.in which it's well worth the money to me.plan on buying extra filters next month.also plan on buying water purifier tabs as well seeing how I refilled 6-1 gallon jugs and 1-5 gallon jug with it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CDC5L13C?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
We use the blue Filter.
Garden was going GREAT till the deer got into it this week, THEY should be fat!
They got in my garden too.
We are gong to freeze them this winter.

Last edited:
I got up early this am..about 050ish..started coffee n saw a bunch of does..maybe 6 startled and leaving the area around my garden thanks to my fat dog I had just let out to take a squat.
My neighbors tend to complain across the hill that my dogs occasionally bark early or late at night...
I'm like ok..good pups..lots of deer, elk antelope, fox, coyote, bobcat, big kitty, bear n a stray donkey about the hood..you liked my free veggies last year right...??
Good doggies...

Yes they are a pain in the butt after they find something they like, I have an old doe and fawn been raiding the wife’s blueberry bushes nightly. She’s not happy but not much I can do between them and the bears they pretty much ate more of the blueberries than us.
I am in the midland area of S.C. & have never seen a bear or tracks from a bear. Now Deer were all over until we harvested 17 of them.

Yes they are a pain in the butt after they find something they like, I have an old doe and fawn been raiding the wife’s blueberry bushes nightly. She’s not happy but not much I can do between them and the bears they pretty much ate more of the blueberries than us.
we need to go shooting
I am in the midland area of S.C. & have never seen a bear or tracks from a bear. Now Deer were all over until we harvested 17 of them.
we actually had 2 bears here in chapin last week

I would love to send you some , everyone in the county is fussing about them while continuing to fill their bird feeders daily, stupid I know but you can’t tell some people anything. I saw a video posted to from the Tennessee emergency preparedness about several human/bear encounters. One lady was sent to the hospital when a bear got into a food trailer . Just here in my county I’m seeing 5 or 6 a week and they are not afraid of humans anymore.

I would love to send you some , everyone in the county is fussing about them while continuing to fill their bird feeders daily, stupid I know but you can’t tell some people anything.
Family Farm is in Lugoff, North East of Columbia, up 12 HWY.
My brother was under a shade tree & saw a Black bear & a cub in the tree line. They went on their way & he has not seen them again.
His property line is up against a few hundred acres, that part of the reason for the deer movement on the farm.

I would love to send you some , everyone in the county is fussing about them while continuing to fill their bird feeders daily, stupid I know but you can’t tell some people anything. I saw a video posted to from the Tennessee emergency preparedness about several human/bear encounters. One lady was sent to the hospital when a bear got into a food trailer . Just here in my county I’m seeing 5 or 6 a week and they are not afraid of humans anymore.
A Lady i know in Waynesville NC heard noise on her back porch a while back when she opened the door to the porch she hit a black bear going through her trash can square in the BUTT!

Just in my county I'm seeing 5-6 encounters (bears) a week.. They aren't afraid of humans anymore..
== ==
Unfortunately.. In the number of years I recently lived on the family ranch in far north west of Canada I ran into too many ...issues... with bears and too often had to ...intervein... in bad bear behavior around our buildings, livestock, and family as we moved about to take care of our place.. They are starting to see more of that kind of activity recently here just west of Lake Superior around the lodges, cabins and the like..

The life cycle and numbers of some wild species will rise and fall at times.. And with a large, very smart and capable animal like the black bear it could take as much as 20-40 years for Mother Nature to stabilize and or turn around this population.. Most people want things ..resolved.. by the next ..fill in there favorite season..

So.. Preaching to the choir.. Yes.. The hard part is training humans to safely coexist with nature... And with a predator as strong, smart, capable as a bear, and when they have significant population numbers... WE learn to coexist around them, NOT them coexisting with us.. Be glad you only have black bears to deal with.. As when you add even the occasional grizzly in the area to the equation, it can be a whole different level of ...problem... Take my word..

Haven't seen bear around here, but it's one of the reasons there is a 45-70 in the gun safe. I wanted to change states, overruled.

Back