Tips you suggest as people get older

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We put a frame around one toilet, and hand rails next to the toilet in the Master Bathroom. My wife does have knee issues. Sometimes they are O.K. and sometimes she needs all the help she can get. Just having that rail or someting to hold onto makes all the difference in the world.

As this thread progresses I will walk around the house and notice more things we have done.
That's what I need. I have knee issues as well. I have to get my husband to install something. I hope everything is on one floor for her. I am forever grateful to my sis in law for telling us to buy a house on one level.

Does that work on WIFI? A woman from our church fell outside in the ice and lay there for hours until a girl walking home from school walked by and she called to her. We can get into some predicaments.

The base connects to either a landline phone or uses a cellular connection. You wear the pendant.

we live near coal country and I have yet to find any for sale, where do you get it?
I am pretty sure our stove can burn coal.
I have a coal mine a few miles up the road. The mine owner has his home between me and the mine so I took my trailer to his house and he loaded me up

That's what I need. I have knee issues as well. I have to get my husband to install something. I hope everything is on one floor for her. I am forever grateful to my sis in law for telling us to buy a house on one level.

We have a two story house with a basement, so there are a lot of steps. My wife did have the foresight (and she gets ALL of the credit) to design the floorplan so that all of the living space is on one floor. We don't have to use the steps very much.

We have a frame very similar to this one on one toilet. They are available from Amazon. Just enter toilet frame, and search. The toilet in the master bathroom has handriails installed in the wall. They are definitely a help. As you know some days are worse than others with gimpy knees. Hope this helps.

1729206802019.png

reading glasses
if you are used to say 1.5 or 2 or 2.5, get some extra and get some stronger ones too. a variety of strengths is a good idea. lighted magnifiers are good to have also. got some extra sunglasses? also a good idea

We have a two story house with a basement, so there are a lot of steps. My wife did have the foresight (and she gets ALL of the credit) to design the floorplan so that all of the living space is on one floor. We don't have to use the steps very much.

We have a frame very similar to this one on one toilet. They are available from Amazon. Just enter toilet frame, and search. The toilet in the master bathroom has handriails installed in the wall. They are definitely a help. As you know some days are worse than others with gimpy knees. Hope this helps.

View attachment 165079
That's good to know everything is on one floor. As someone with knee issues I know what she's living with. I thought that you installed a bar on the wall like they put in disabled bathrooms. That looks good though.

If you get one I am coming to your house for a ride in it😃😃😃
you would just fill it up with water and float in it !

reading glasses
if you are used to say 1.5 or 2 or 2.5, get some extra and get some stronger ones too. a variety of strengths is a good idea. lighted magnifiers are good to have also. got some extra sunglasses? also a good idea
i buy them often and in bulk.

One of our sons swears by ice baths. He has a large stock tank he fills with ice water and does a plunge every day. Says it's healthy.
That's why I have no problem getting on the pool float in February! No whole body dunk, and I really don't think it's healthy!! Probably just a weird obsession!! 🤔

If you don't have family or friends, the only places I can think of that are left are Googling what you need on the Internet, and organizations helplines. You might find some sporadic hit-or-miss help at senior centers/libraries.
If they don't know how to even use the internet they do not know how to google jack sprat. I've seen it many times and it is very sad because legally some of these places can't do the stuff for them. Here's a few examples: grab the mouse. What? Right click. What? Go to this tab. What?
I go above and beyond to help people where I can if they are truly in deep and nowhere to turn. I've seen 80 year olds with iphones and all the gadgets and know how to do it all.
Sometimes a person's church can help them, or members of the church, if they don't have any family that will help.
It has gotten to the point where some companies will only take care of business online. I don't know how these people manage.

Latest posts

Back