Top SHTF Movies of all time

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GatherYeAcorns

Super Friend
Neighbor
Anything with Charlton Heston LOL and not necessarily in any order:

#1 The Omega Man
#2 Soylent Green
#3 Planet of the Apes (original)
#4 War of the Worlds (original and Tom Cruise)
#5 Night of the living dead (1968)
#6 Terminator
#7 Dawn of The Dead (2004)
#8 The Matrix
#9 Independence Day
#10 I am Legend
#11 The Road
#12 28 days
#13 Battle for Los Angeles
#14 Threads (1984 nuclear war)
#15 The Day After (1983 nuclear war)
#16 The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951 and Keanu Reeves)
#17 Godzilla films
#18 Water World
#19 The Postman
#20 Book of Eli
#21 Escape from New York
#22 The Road Warrior
#23 No Escape (Ray Liotta)
#24 Starship Troopers (the bugs send planetary bombs to earth lol)
#25 Armageddon (Bruce Willis)
#26 Deep Impact
#27 Battlefield Earth
#28 Resident Evil films
#29 Dawns Early light (nuclear war)
#30 Fail Safe (1964)
#31 Pacific Rim
#32 Cloverfield
#33 The Last Starfighter (Earth is about to be invaded)
#34 The Sum of all Fears (nuclear war)
#35 Watchmen
#36 28 weeks later
#37 2012
#38 Outbreak (Dustin Hoffman)
#39 Andromeda Strain
#40 The Swarm (killer bees)
#41 12 Monkees (Brad Pitt and Bruce Willis)
#42 State of Emergency
#43 Stake land
#44 Red Dawn
#45 They Live (Roddy Pipper LOL)
#46 Starblazers (anime)
#47 Macross/Robotech
#48 Fist of the North Star (nuclear war)
#49 The Omen
#50 The Prophecy
#51 End of Days
#52 War Games (1983)
#53 Reign of Fire (Christian Bale)

Oh, add the TV shows Jericho, Falling Skies, and off course, the Walking Dead series.

Last edited:
That's a LONG List, friend. I think my favorite is #20

#1 The Omega Man
#2 Soylent Green
#6 Terminator
#8 The Matrix
#9 Independence Day
#10 I am Legend
#11 The Road
#12 28 days
#17 Godzilla films
#18 Water World
#19 The Postman
#20 Book of Eli
#21 Escape from New York
#22 The Road Warrior
#26 Deep Impact
#27 Battlefield Earth
#28 Resident Evil films
#30 Fail Safe (1964)
#31 Pacific Rim
#32 Cloverfield
#35 Watchmen
#36 28 weeks later
#37 2012
#39 Andromeda Strain
#42 State of Emergency
#43 Stake land
#44 Red Dawn
#46 Starblazers (anime)
#47 Macross/Robotech
#49 The Omen
#50 The Prophecy
#51 End of Days
#52 War Games (1983)

Oh, add the TV shows Jericho, Falling Skies, and off course, the Walking Dead series.
Not technically a movie but jericho is a pretty good shtf on nuc. war series.

which red dawn? Because I like the new 1 better even though the old 1 was cool too

Dawn of the Dead, (the remake) is still my favorite (the zombie movie in the mall). I love the opening, when the nurse first gets outside, and sees all the chaos that is going on. Its a great transition from normal, to SHTF, and in just in the opening sequence, before the opening credits. I love the news reports during the first movie though.

doesnt really matter which since they are both based on the same scenario.
well in that case... all alien invasion movies, all zombie outbreak movies and post apocalyptic movies are the same :p

Anyway, The list misses some movies for me.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/shtf movies/cerberus/

It is not in the correct order but it is the list of movies that first enter my mind that are relatively SHTF related.

As for series, the ones mentioned are awesome :)

Last edited:
Just saw "The Day After" listed above...I remember how that scared the pants off a generation, hehe. I had a presentation in college, about the environmental effects of a nuclear war. I used a lot of footage from that mini-series....terrified a whole new generation, lol.

well in that case... all alien invasion movies, all zombie outbreak movies and post apocalyptic movies are the same :p

Anyway, The list misses some movies for me.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/shtf movies/cerberus/

It is not in the correct order but it is the list of movies that first enter my mind that are relatively SHTF related.

As for series, the ones mentioned are awesome :)
What you stated here doesnt even make sense! im making a point that a remake of an origional movie is based on the same scenerio! not that all end world movies are the same.

well that is the thing, the new red dawn movie cannot be considered a remake.
And the "scenario" is not the same.

It is too different from the first red dawn movie. It COULD be considered a sequel or alternative retelling. but the scenario is not the same, the only similarity is that a bunch of teens and young adults fight an invading force.

It is like the spiderman cartoons. Each takes place in a different/parallel marvel universe. But the scenario is never the same. The only similarity is a main character and his mission. The Red Dawn movies are like that.

I do not know if you have seen both movies, but they vastly differ from each other. They are both great, so watching them both in a row might be fun ;) You will not be bored cause the Plot is completely different.

hmm what was it spain or cuba with the aid of russia takes over a town and a group of high school football buddies forms a group to combat the invading force to retake there homes ! they call themselves the wolverines.
hmm north korea aided by russia takes over a US. town and a group of high school students who of coarse are also football players form a resistence group to combat the invading force to reclaim there homes also calling themselves the wolverines! your right they are not the same scenario at all ! and yes ive seen both many times have you rofl. and to top it off 1 out of 2 brothers die in both films. did i mention they also share the same names?

Last edited:

#1 The Omega Man
#2 Soylent Green
#6 Terminator
#8 The Matrix
#9 Independence Day
#10 I am Legend
#11 The Road
#12 28 days
#17 Godzilla films
#18 Water World
#19 The Postman
#20 Book of Eli
#21 Escape from New York
#22 The Road Warrior
#26 Deep Impact
#27 Battlefield Earth
#28 Resident Evil films
#30 Fail Safe (1964)
#31 Pacific Rim
#32 Cloverfield
#35 Watchmen
#36 28 weeks later
#37 2012
#39 Andromeda Strain
#42 State of Emergency
#43 Stake land
#44 Red Dawn
#46 Starblazers (anime)
#47 Macross/Robotech
#49 The Omen
#50 The Prophecy
#51 End of Days
#52 War Games (1983)

You definitely put some thought in this! I liked #20 and #25!

My favorite RED DAWN the old one and the remake . But what if you drove into a SHTF situation like the WRONG TURN movies ? The WALKING DEAD sieries sort of draws you in .

"They Live", hehe....the source for the classic line, "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum...and I'm all outta bubble gum"

Personally I like the old red dawn more, but the new one wasn't too bad. I'm surprised that one wasn't higher... Best lines "keep all that hate bottled up kid and it's gonna tear you apart"... His reply "nah, it keeps me warm"

The walking dead puts a spin on post apocolyptica that most movies and such don't look into, the book of Eli is close to that but with more of a religious view. But they are very good series.

Just got around to watching World War Z . Good movie noticed how Brad Pitt's character kept screwing up in the first SHTF scene in the Department Strore . Took him awhile to realize things wearnt normal anymore .

Mad Max 4 (Mad Max: Fury Road) is scheduled to be released May 15, 2015. It has been in "development hell" for 25 years. Mel Gibson lost interest in it back in 2000.
if mel played in it again they would have chase scenes with wheelchairs knocking each other off the road.

So far, the Walking Dead has been pretty darn good for showing the daily challenges. Especially this season with them all on the road. One thing I kept wondering about the farmhouse...where is the power for the water pump coming from? (could be generator, I suppose) Of course, their cars never seem to run out of gas, but eh...I suppose a few scenes of showing them siphoning explains that.

Excellent example of the kinds of people that would survive though, and those that would prey on others. A lot of thought into this.

So far, the Walking Dead has been pretty darn good for showing the daily challenges. Especially this season with them all on the road. One thing I kept wondering about the farmhouse...where is the power for the water pump coming from? (could be generator, I suppose) Of course, their cars never seem to run out of gas, but eh...I suppose a few scenes of showing them siphoning explains that.

Excellent example of the kinds of people that would survive though, and those that would prey on others. A lot of thought into this.
I LOVE the walking dead, Would like to see the show go through a winter tho, As for siphoning gas....Don't gas have a use by date? Just how long have the dead been walking in that show....must be 2/3 years since the shtf.
Has anyone put Metropolis on the movie list yet, Sure that film was 1920's

I think it was a propane stove they were making German baked pecans . Much of the south is on Nuclear power now wonder how long they would run without someone being there ?
(If you were refering to the farm house in the pecan grove season 4 .)

Last edited:
I think it was a propane stove they were making German baked pecans . Much of the south is on Nuclear power now wonder how long they would run without someone being there ?
Not to sure but I think it's only a 6 months without someone to run them.

Most people don't realize how hard daily living would be. As far as gasoline, you got 6 to 9 months before it degrades, not to mention the battery life.

There are things like Sta-bil, etc. though. I stock this as well, to help against the gas deterioration part. I'm betting most folks aren't considering that (or even know it degrades).

Latest posts

Back