Weird Food Combos

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use to see them west coast hippie chicks eat whole wheat bread sandwich with peanut butter,red onion and cucumbers.

here is a bad one, as a kid I liked sugar sandwiches. A piece of rye bread, with butter and sugar
now I put peanut butter in a lot of stuff like collard greens or noodles
We usually had homemade bread at home. Grandma baked a large batch of bread once a week. By the time it was time for a new batch of bread, the previous one was getting pretty dry. We ate a lot of toast then, and French toast. We would butter our toast and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on it. I know other people who ate sugar sandwiches. Without the cinnamon, I couldn't do it.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who likes peanut butter with pickles lol I use ranch and Italian dressing on pretty much anything that gets dry. Ketchup on mac'n'cheese is also tasty.

I still remember my shock when I first moved to WV. I ordered a hot dog, it came with slaw on it!

I even asked my waitress about it. Putting slaw on a hotdog had to be an error... Nope, they put slaw on everything in WV. Burgers, hot dogs, chili dogs... once a porkchop, they all come with a big scoop of slaw on top! 🤣

I never got used to it, just plain weird. (not that fond of slaw either)

Last edited:
Oh, happened to remember my grandfather. At breakfast he'd pour syrup into a saucer then mix in peanut butter. It came out as sweet runny pbutter. He'd sop it all up with a biscut, extra protien, sugar and carbs for farm work.

I've had it many times myself. It was common to mix it butter if peanut butter wasn't available, extra calories.

Last edited:
I still remember my shock when I first moved to WV. I ordered a hot dog, it came with slaw on it!

I even asked my waitress about it. Putting slaw on a hotdog had to be an error... Nope, they put slaw on everything in WV. Burgers, hot dogs, chili dogs... once a porkchop, they all come with a big scoop of slaw on top! 🤣

I never got used to it, just plain weird. (not that fond of slaw either)
That is one way to get your veggies! It is kraut that hasn't been fermented.

Oh, happened to remember my grandfather. At breakfast he'd pour syrup into a saucer then mix in peanut butter. It came out as sweet runny pbutter. He'd sop it all up with a biscut, extra protien, sugar and carbs for farm work.

I've had it many times myself. It was common to mix it butter if peanut butter wasn't available, extra calories.
My Grandparents did the same thing except they used sorghum.
They also had a bowl of bacon grease on the table and dipped their biscuits in it.
Grandma would make coffee so strong you could cut it with a knife.
She filled the percolator basket as full of coffee as it would hold then perked it for at least 30 minutes.
She served it in small cups on saucers. They then added Folgers instant coffee to the cup.
They poured it into the saucer and sipped it from that.
The whole house smelled like fried pork and burnt coffee.

Step dad does honey or molasses with a nice pat of butter mixed in.

A cold roast pork or poultry sandwich on buttered bread with black berry preserves.

Anyone remember the band “Kentucky Headhunters”?. They had a song “Dumas Walker”. There is a line in the chorus “We’ll get a slaw burger, fries and a bottle of ski”.

It seems they put slaw on everything in eastern Kentucky also... 😁

13sec audio

Last edited:
Anyone remember the band “Kentucky Headhunters”?. They had a song “Dumas Walker”. There is a line in the chorus “We’ll get a slaw burger, fries and a bottle of ski”.

It seems they put slaw on everything in eastern Kentucky also... 😁

13sec audio

View attachment 104678
Love that song😃

I have said it here before I didn't really realize how poor we were when I was a kid. One of our family favorites is tuna, cabbage and carrots. Basically you make a slaw with mayo. It is always served on a hotdog bun toasted in a pan with butter. It was first made by my dad. It wasn't until much later in life I was told, one day that was all the food we had in the house. As it turns out it is surprisingly good and we all still eat it even the grandkids.

Dipping hot crunchy French fries into soft serve ice cream .
Not something I do alot ..its a trip to a city thing.
Butter on bread with peanut butter n jam
I like the molasses, honey n banana spread on bread too..or just mix n mush by itself..good stuff

Dipping hot crunchy French fries into soft serve ice cream .
Not something I do alot ..its a trip to a city thing.
Butter on bread with peanut butter n jam
I like the molasses, honey n banana spread on bread too..or just mix n mush by itself..good stuff
The first two are things my hubby does!😮

I love chili on top of mashed potatoes but that's not weird, is it.
If I ate this stuff now, I'd get so sick. As a kid I'd eat mustard, mayo, and ketchup sammiches. Nothing else on it. weird.
as a teen late at night I'd put sliced hot dogs in scrambled eggs. not weird but 😦
fried bologna on bread with mayo. Reaction now: 🤢
sardines anyone?

Latest posts

Back