What food will you miss most when SHTF?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't have to miss doughnuts, they're pretty easy to make!
I'm thinkin we would miss cream cheese the most! Old anorak...do you know how to make cream cheese?? If so, I'd love some "idiot" instructions!! Otherwise, the husband would surely miss his Monster drinks, my boys their Mt. Dew and me it would be Dr. Pepper and peanuts.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Offhand, I don't think I know how to make it, but I'll do my damnedest to figure out if the is a way to do it. I know you can can it, but you'd only want to use it in a recipe not smeared on something.

Dang, now you have me thinking. I'll have something figured in a few days I hope. My Mom had part of her lung removed today, so I'll be between the farm, hospital, her place, and the market over the next week.

Homemade Cream Cheese
Yield: About 1 3/4 pounds cream cheese (28 ounces)
Ingredients
4 cups heavy cream
2 cups half and half
2 cups whole milk
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp white vinegar

Line 2 medium sieves with cheesecloth or cotton tea towels and place over bowls.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine cream, half and half, milk and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low and simmer gently.
Stir in the vinegar and continue to simmer until cream mixture separates and curds appear and float to the top. Curds will begin to clump together.
Remove from heat. Scoop out curds with a slotted spoon and divide between lined sieves. When you are getting to the bottom of the pan and it's hard to scoop them out, feel free to pour all of the mixture into the sieves.
Let drain until whey is removed, at least 4 hours. This is faster if you divvy the curds up into two sieves, as opposed to one. You can also hang the cheesecloth/tea towels filled with curds to encourage it to drain faster.
Once curds have the consistency of room temperature cream cheese, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.
Keeps for about 1 week.

Anorak I hope your mom is doing ok. Sounds like you've been having a busy time

Chocolate. That's what I'll miss most, when that is gone. For others in my group, it will be coffee. Sure, we can stockpile the beans, but both of these items only grow in certain areas of the world, so once gone, they are gone, until trade kicks in.

Anorak, I have about 25 banana trees in my BOL. So with Jackfruit, 30 Coconut Trees, Coffee trees, and some other stuff. I will send you when SHTF....

I will miss 7-up and processed meats... (unless I store them now)....
Have to start planting tobacco plants so I don't lose out on my nicotine. Would make a good trading item too...

Anorak, I have about 25 banana trees in my BOL. So with Jackfruit, 30 Coconut Trees, Coffee trees, and some other stuff. I will send you when SHTF....

I will miss 7-up and processed meats... (unless I store them now)....
Have to start planting tobacco plants so I don't lose out on my nicotine. Would make a good trading item too...

how much coffee you get from one coffee tree?

Twinkies! I was glad to see them return. I am seriously stockpiling them for either TEOTWAWKI or when the SHTF or ObamaCare declares Twinkies enemy of the state. That and Kit-Kat .

Caffine in general....I have a supply of coffee stocked away but that will only last so long
mainly Monster energy drinks.....its my life juice right now.
Other things: Citrus fruits - Orange Juice - Candies - Chocolate- and Bacon!!! (recently talked to you guys + my neighbor about pigs from the stories I never wanna get any)
I am working on changing my diet over to being closer to a raw vegan diet (not because I am a veggitarian) because in my neck of the woods its going to be whats available once my food storage runs low. I dont wanna shock my system too badly when SHTF

My son and I are going to attempt to can bacon. It is wrapped in parchment paper and isn't really cooked, so you just open the can, unroll it and fry it up. My son eats about half to a whole pound a day and I think he would die without it, so we are going to attempt to can it. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Hi there, a quick question on the canning of bacon. Is it something i can find online on the how to's and or are there special hints one needs to know? Thank you
They say to use the thick sliced bacon. You lay it out of parchment paper, cover with another piece of parchment and then fold the whole thing in half lengthwise and then roll it up tight. Cram it down in a wide mouth jar and can like you do other meat. I saw where they got the ends and pieces of bacon slabs and canned it without the paper. They just filled up the jars and canned as usual. Those produced more bacon fat because there wasn't parchment paper to absorb it. They used those for cooking fat and to flavor beans and soups. The bacon looks pretty much raw after the canning process, so you have to cook it like you would normally cook your bacon. We can't wait to try it. We are going to dry pack ground beef and chicken too.

yeah i hear that you can get a certain wax and wax the cheese.which be great for anyone who decides to stock up on it

yeah i hear that you can get a certain wax and wax the cheese.which be great for anyone who decides to stock up on it
We love the aged sharp cheese but it gets expensive. They say to buy the mild cheese and when you wax it, it starts the aging process and becomes sharper over time. We are going to do it just to save money. We have a friend that has a swiss dairy farm nearby and we buy milk from him. I may even try making my own cheese with his milk.

They say to use the thick sliced bacon. You lay it out of parchment paper, cover with another piece of parchment and then fold the whole thing in half lengthwise and then roll it up tight. Cram it down in a wide mouth jar and can like you do other meat. I saw where they got the ends and pieces of bacon slabs and canned it without the paper. They just filled up the jars and canned as usual. Those produced more bacon fat because there wasn't parchment paper to absorb it. They used those for cooking fat and to flavor beans and soups. The bacon looks pretty much raw after the canning process, so you have to cook it like you would normally cook your bacon. We can't wait to try it. We are going to dry pack ground beef and chicken too.

Backwoods Home had an excellent how-to article a few months back on canning bacon. You can go to their website, look it up and print it.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Twinkies! I was glad to see them return. I am seriously stockpiling them for either TEOTWAWKI or when the SHTF or ObamaCare declares Twinkies enemy of the state. That and Kit-Kat .

I Smell a Woody Harrelson from Zombieland when there are no more Twinkies.... LOL

how much coffee you get from one coffee tree?

So far, we get approximately 1kg to 1.5kg per tree of fresh beans. After peeling and drying/roasting, it comes to about 500 grams per tree. As of last count, we had about 10 (this was texted to my be the caretaker) trees.

Thank you very much for the tips and info...i will be looking into it. Can't go without bacon..lol

Just watched a tutorial on waxing cheese and they say it lasts for years. We are going to try it.

it's worked for hundreds of years, at least.... :)

Twinkies! I was glad to see them return.

LOL, on an episode of Family Guy, there was an apocalypse, and Peter led the family to a Twinkie factory!

it's worked for hundreds of years, at least.... :)

LOL, on an episode of Family Guy, there was an apocalypse, and Peter led the family to a Twinkie factory!

I tell folks all the time that I live on preservatives, I have the shelf-life of a Twinkie!
Seriously, have you ever seen one of those things go bad?!! Never!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Just watched a tutorial on waxing cheese and they say it lasts for years. We are going to try it.
It really depends on the cheese that you make and wax. Locotelli and Parmesan will definitely last for years and even with some cheddars and goudas, but others no. People at home will normally make a soft cheese like Paneer or Casa Blanca, Ricotta, etc. , these will not, even after waxing. But with cheese, even if it does mold, you can just scrape off or cut off the moldy parts and it is good a new. After a while though, it will become sour and you will be able to smell it. I have worked with cheese the last 5 years and just recently started making my own.

So far, we get approximately 1kg to 1.5kg per tree of fresh beans. After peeling and drying/roasting, it comes to about 500 grams per tree. As of last count, we had about 10 (this was texted to my be the caretaker) trees.
that'd be 1.5Kg = 3.3 pounds..i like that.

Chocolate.jpg

Honestly, mine would be HEB Gummi Bears. . . I know that is crazy at my age, but I buy a bag once a month just for a treat.

That's only 1 lbs after drying/peeling, etc., Jim, per tree, per year, probably. Mr goes through 2-3 lbs a month. We'd have to have 24 trees.

You can actually make coffee using rice. Simply toast the rice until brown then mix in hot water. Although if he is a caffeine addict, this wouldn't give him the fix he is looking for.

Aside from that, this beverage helps indigestion.

Latest posts

Back