What happened to work ethic!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No excuse for not contacting you sooner. At least you saw him for the flake he is before relying on him for anything.
No doubt. We have a kid fresh out of the electrical school starting Jan 02. I’ll wait a little bit before getting him a credit card after this incident though. I pretty much can fix anything, people are another skill altogether!

Most places I've worked where you got a company card, was only after 90 days, bare minimum, unless the job really called for it sooner. Of course, this was back in the days before web meetings, and you had to actually fly places, and get rental cars, etc. lol. I kind of miss that. (though my wife doesn't miss me traveling).

At least she gets to do it occasionally for her job, a few times a year.

Most places I've worked where you got a company card, was only after 90 days, bare minimum, unless the job really called for it sooner. Of course, this was back in the days before web meetings, and you had to actually fly places, and get rental cars, etc. lol. I kind of miss that. (though my wife doesn't miss me traveling).

At least she gets to do it occasionally for her job, a few times a year.
We are on the road a lot, so a gas card, and a way to buy supplies at hardware and wholesale places is pretty important.

Wow! I got an email from the flake today! He said he had to go to California quickly for his wife’s fathers death. He actually wants to work now. What, they don’t have email or voicemail in California? What a schmuck! Anyways, we hired a kid fresh out of electrical school. He is enthusiastic at least, even without real world experience. Hopefully within a year we can make a decent electrician out of him.
You can bet he just lied to you.

Here's an interesting item. In a nearby town they opened a smorgasaborg. They had great business the first weekend, and after being open for 5 days they closed. the reason they said was because they couldn't find anyone to work. they posted it on the FB and put a notice on their door. My sister took a photo of it.
42799970_10210431194931222_6821281108345225216_n.jpg

Another option... they hired a bunch of people, and they would not work so they fired them, hired more, same thing... finally just said forget-about-it. ??

it seems that a lot of people these days don't want to get their hands dirty, dosent matter what the age is, their okay sitting in front of a computer all day but do some physical labour? no way.
We have one good employee so far. When he gets trained a bit better he will get his own helper. There is no doubt that finding good help is the hardest part of a business. We pay a little bit better than average, but that dosent seem to help.

We have a new Popeyes fried chicken that just got built near home. It is still sitting empty, for three weeks after completion. There’s lights on and everything seems to be in place inside and out. I heard that they couldn’t find staff to work it yet.

Another option... they hired a bunch of people, and they would not work so they fired them, hired more, same thing... finally just said forget-about-it. ??
The scuttle butt is that there may have been other things going on. I heard that the guy that bought the building owns an asphalt business and that business doesn't have a stellar reputation around here. Also, they may have been inexperienced. Seems like any food business is tough going. A gal posted on FB she went to work and found the sign on the door, called her manager who knew nothing about it.
My brother talked about hiring a guy three times, first time he quit, second time his mother called and begged for a job for him so he did not have to report to jail, he never showed up or called, third time he had a big talk with him, he ended up quitting again. Yesterday my sister in law was talking to a lady who owns a towing business, had two call in and one quit yesterday. When you are a owner and operator it makes it very difficult to run the business. Like less than 8 employees, some of the little businesses around here only have 3-4 people. Even the small hardware store just down the road, had hired a lady she worked 1/2 day, went home for lunch and never came back. I mean it really isn't hard work. WTH? I don't believe that there aren't jobs to be had.

Back when I was 19 I worked at a grocery store at the register. I got fired to letting a sack of potatoes go, that was under the cart. I never knew it and someone reported me. Can you imagine fired for a sack of potatoes? Probably was less than 2 dollars then. A few months after the assistant manager told me the owner couldn't find good help and was discussing this problem with him. The assistant manager told the owner he should have kept me and the owner agreed. have to admit I felt rather good he was suffering.

back in the late 60s early 70s I worked in a hardware store, we were allowed to give away damaged bags of coal and coke, I knew of an old guy who didn't have much money, so when he was walking around the back of the shop to get to his home, I called him over and kicked a big hole in the bag of coal and gave it to him, I could have been fired if I was found out but I made sure no one else was about. the old boy was very appreciative, it might have made the difference to him freezing or not.

Dunkin Donuts open a new site not far from where I work . After couple of trips there and the racks were nearly empty and they said their first shift Baker was gone and they dont have anyone trained to take over I quit stopping there .
I have found it easier to hire people these days it seems having a job is becoming important agin .

Normally I work two days a week and most weeks get everything done for my area. I may have to leave 1 or 2 items, but that is it. Because this last Sunday was inventory, I was scheduled for a half day on Mon (which in months past I would have off but because it is too overwhelming for me with 1 day I went in for a half day), full day tues plus inventory. There was 1 section I did not complete but got everything ready for it to make the person who needed to get it done life easier. I thought I did pretty darn good with the hours I had. But the 20 year younger person who had to finish the task had an attitude towards me this week because I left "all that for" her to complete. My section gets 70 hours a week. I work 16 per week and get it all done or at least the majority. My second in command told me yesterday that because I am so quick she can take hours from my area to cover for all the call outs and the areas that are slower. . . So basically the other person who should help me never or hardly ever does. Just so frustrating! I just needed to vent.

I always found working alone was the best work ethic, I just got on with it and didn't have to put up with the gripes from others, even when I worked in an office I was the only one doing the clerical work the others were technical so I was usually left alone.

I’ve always taken pride in my work ethic. I just don’t worry about the ones that don’t as they usually just get left behind as you advance through life.
But this particular person is about to become our lead. I don't want or need the job and as long as she just let's me do my thing, I'll be fine.
I don't think that bosses should keep screwing with only one section though. That particular person is going to get tired of it eventually when it's been months on end and that is where I am at. And if I leave less than 1 hour work, it should be completed if my area still has 54 hours a week left in it. I think that other people should be expected to step it up and actually complete their own workload instead of expecting to get "help". To me that is just personal accountability that everyone should strive for. I do realize that is a fantasy world though.

Normally I work two days a week and most weeks get everything done for my area. I may have to leave 1 or 2 items, but that is it. Because this last Sunday was inventory, I was scheduled for a half day on Mon (which in months past I would have off but because it is too overwhelming for me with 1 day I went in for a half day), full day tues plus inventory. There was 1 section I did not complete but got everything ready for it to make the person who needed to get it done life easier. I thought I did pretty darn good with the hours I had. But the 20 year younger person who had to finish the task had an attitude towards me this week because I left "all that for" her to complete. My section gets 70 hours a week. I work 16 per week and get it all done or at least the majority. My second in command told me yesterday that because I am so quick she can take hours from my area to cover for all the call outs and the areas that are slower. . . So basically the other person who should help me never or hardly ever does. Just so frustrating! I just needed to vent.
That is how a lot of people reward good workers, give them more to do.

To me a good work ethic is being as productive as you can in the allotted time without sacrificing on the quality of the product.

I believe there is way too much standing around, talking in one place and checking up on your cell phone. People need to step up and do what they are being paid to do. At my job, you get a break every two hours. Check your phone then. If it is an emergency, a worker can be gotten on the company phone easy enough since our department is not that big. I don't care if people talk, as long as their hands keep busy. And when you think there isn't anything else to do, start cleaning something. Its not like I have unrealistic expectations and I would never expect anyone to do anything more than I am willing to do and expect from myself.

Yup, D54.

Lots of people want 'me time' at work. My answer is you have 'me time' when YOU are paying the salary. When someone is working for me at company XYZ, those 8 hours are "XYZ time". Have your 'me time' when you clock out. And for guys who don't get it, 'me time' = 'pink slip'. I'm comfortable with that.

Fortunately there are still some young people who have a good work ethic. The young man who I gave my old barn to works for a ranch 5 days a week and comes up to my place to work on weekends. He gets here at day light and doesn't leave until dusk. He also has his own livestock to care for. He's been working alone dismantling the barn and in two days he's got the roof off and today he started taking the trusses down. He's married and has a young daughter at home but still finds time to work. His wife works full time too.
Incidentally his grandfather used to own this property years ago when it was part of a much larger ranch.
People like him and his family gives me hope for the future. Too often we focus on the deadbeats and losers, of which there are plenty of examples, and not enough time on the winners. I'm sure that if we tried, we could all come up with some good examples of young people who have a good work ethic.
Now if my building contractor could just find some decent help.......

Latest posts

Back