What is this "ANGEL FOOD" Baked in.......?????????????????

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
So, I loaded up on more "FREE" food. And I get two complete Angle Food cakes, that appear to have been baked in a Classic Angle Food "pan" made out of Paper or cardboard. What is this container they were baked in.

Angel food? They have always been baked in tube pans. See the tabs on the upper edge of the pan? They are for turning the cake pan over when it comes out of the oven, when it is cooling. Some angel food cake pans do not have the tabs, and you use a bottle that fits in the inside circle of the top to keep the pan turned over when cooling.

angel food cake pan.JPG

I've seen what you're talking about Sourdough. It's like a cardboard version of what Weedy posted and it's got a waxy overlay on it.
I've used wax paper on the bottom of my cake pans and it's kind of the same principle
Yes, it comes to the retail store and is sold in that paper thing it is baked in. I am curious why it does not catch fire.

Angel food? They have always been baked in tube pans. See the tabs on the upper edge of the pan? They are for turning the cake pan over when it comes out of the oven, when it is cooling. Some angel food cake pans do not have the tabs, and you use a bottle that fits in the inside circle of the top to keep the pan turned over when cooling.

View attachment 163027

It is just like that but made out of a cardboard looking material.

slap some of them strawberry preserves on it...maybe a dab of cool whip,that sprat stuff or whatever...spoon full of ice-cream...you be set then i bet.

slap some of them strawberry preserves on it...maybe a dab of cool whip,that sprat stuff or whatever...spoon full of ice-cream...you be set then i bet.
I prefer fresh strawberries that are cut up, have been sprinkled with sugar and allowed to sit for a while. It makes them juicy. This process is called macerating. I avoid cool whip and prefer to use whipped cream and the juicy strawberries.

Yes, it comes to the retail store and is sold in that paper thing it is baked in. I am curious why it does not catch fire.

Prolly because they Bake it at 450˚ - not 451. :)

People are going to eat that cardboard.

Perhaps, but I bet still a tastier way to get some 'fiber' in than Metamucil 🤮🤓

jd

I prefer fresh strawberries that are cut up, have been sprinkled with sugar and allowed to sit for a while. It makes them juicy. This process is called macerating. I avoid cool whip and prefer to use whipped cream and the juicy strawberries.
yep...i just figure sourdough will use what he has on hand...i know he likes and keeps preserves,jellies and jams around so i went with it over fresh and making something....bachelors dont ya know...now if he had the bachelors jam i mentioned before and done a thread on i think...he be next level up...ladle a spoonfull or three of that berry vodka squishy goodness out on that angel food...wow for sure...he be all in love...he probably would eat the waxy paper it so good.

I wonder that as well. I am going to have to look for angel food cake premade in stores.

I remember when I was a child that angel food cake was made from scratch. Egg whites and cream of tartar and the basic thing. There was talk about how an angel food cake could fail. It seemed to be about fat or grease. I don't think I have ever made one from scratch. I may have never made one even from a mix either.

How to Make Perfect Angel Food Cake
I’m confident this will be the most perfect angel food cake to ever hit your lips. We can’t achieve angel food cake perfection for free, so make sure you follow these steps closely.

Pulse the granulated sugar into superfine sugar. Use a food processor or blender.
Set 1 cup of the superfine sugar aside. You’ll add it to the egg whites.
Add cake flour and salt to food processor. Pulse them with the remaining sugar. This aerates the dry ingredients.
Beat egg whites and cream of tartar together. Beat on medium-low speed until foamy.
Slowly add 1 cup of superfine sugar. Turn the mixer up to medium-high and pour in the superfine sugar you set aside.
Beat into soft peaks. Whip the egg whites, cream of tartar, and superfine sugar into soft and lofty peaks. This takes at least 5 minutes. After that, add the vanilla.
Sift and fold in dry ingredients. In 3 additions, sift and fold in the dry ingredients.
Pour/spread batter into a tube pan. Do not grease the tube pan. Greasing the pan causes the batter to slip down the sides, preventing it from properly rising. If you already greased it, wash and wipe it completely clean.
Bake at 325°F (163°C). A higher temperature won’t properly cook the cake.
Cool upside down on a wire rack. If cooled upright, the cake’s own weight will crush itself. Cool it upside-down on a cooling rack so it holds its shape and air can reach it.
Run a thin knife around the edges to release. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to help loosen the cake, too.
Slice with a serrated knife. A regular sharp knife squishes the cake.

yep...i just figure sourdough will use what he has on hand...i know he likes and keeps preserves, jellies and jams around so i went with it over fresh and making something....bachelors don't ya know...now if he had the bachelors jam i mentioned before and done a thread on i think...he be next level up...ladle a spoonfull or three of that berry vodka squishy goodness out on that angel food...wow for sure...he be all in love...he probably would eat the waxy paper it so good.
I thought that was probably why you mentioned strawberry jam.

"don't ya know" Sounds so North Dakota!

I thought that was probably why you mentioned strawberry jam.

"don't ya know" Sounds so North Dakota!
lol....southern slang in areas too......roflmao...you liable to hear anything out of this southerners mouth at times.

Nope, that waxy paper is not good! Do not eat it.
cut cardboards in strips....dredge it in egg and then in seasoning flour then back in egg and in cornmeal or cracker meal...deep fry for a few minutes and serve with hush puppies ....it be gone in awhile....they never know difference...make it chicken fried steak style too...extra black paper . feed the neighbor hood during a siege !

Latest posts

Back