What State Is Safest In A SHTF Situation?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know that there is a safest State.
I feel like where I'm at right now is the safest place for me.

Why...
I'm surrounded by 1000s of fighting , redneck good ole boys, that can absolutely defend their territory. Believe me these guys don't run , and they know how to fight.

I'm right smack in the middle of 100 miles in every direction of these guys.
They look after each other, neighbors , friends, and family. Kinda like the same as antifa , only they don't go around showing off .

I'm good right here in backwoods of West KY.

Jim

Yes you are and your state is on the list of best places ot be roo .All around that area is mostly conservative and not much crime.

Wonder if this has anythign to do with it,
https://suburbanstats.org/population/how-many-people-live-in-kentucky

Kentucky is a great state but wd have to also look at the pro's and con's alike,seems like some areas have bad problems with water.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...959692-56e8-11e9-8ef3-fbd41a2ce4d5_story.html

@phideaux are you near this water problem ?Hows the water aquifer there and what kind of lakes,rivers do yall have?

I found this map, looks like lots of rivers.

https://geology.com/lakes-rivers-water/kentucky.shtml
1593122840287.png

I don't know that there is a safest State.
I feel like where I'm at right now is the safest place for me.

Why...
I'm surrounded by 1000s of fighting , redneck good ole boys, that can absolutely defend their territory. Believe me these guys don't run , and they know how to fight.

I'm right smack in the middle of 100 miles in every direction of these guys.
They look after each other, neighbors , friends, and family. Kinda like the same as antifa , only they don't go around showing off .

I'm good right here in backwoods of West KY.

Jim
Sounds like my area. We will fight.

Big cities, no matter what state they are in are dangerous places. By big I refer to anything 100,000+. I don't want to be near any of them. I am closer to one than I want to be. We occasionally have tornados, but they are rare right in our area. We do have quite a few eathquakes, but rarely one 3.0 or greater on this side of the state. My biggest worry is Nuclear plants. Where we are is out of the path of expected fall out patterns. But long term could be bad. Like most every state there are military targets in some areas should Russia or China decide to hit us. But over all with the water thats available I feel about as good as I could anywhere. Plus I know the area, climate, and such.

I've been working on a list of my own. Within a lifetime, many man-made things can change, so focused on nature first.
I started by excluding places based on geography and climate.
Minimum of 100 miles from the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. I love the coast, but want to be safe from hurricanes.
Exclude "active" seismic zones.​
Average lows above 20, average highs below 90. With overall averages between 30 and 80. I have lived through, in the same place, winter highs below freezing for weeks, and summer lows above 80 for weeks. I hate every second of it.
That takes out a good chunk of the map. Then refined it with a bit more specific geography and climate. Goldilocks sunlight and rainfall. Enough of each for effective solar and rainwater catchment. Not in a tornado prone area. Plenty of oldish trees.
At a micro level I have things like consistent ground water sources, not in a valley, not in a flood plane.

Those things can at least get me a map, and probably won't change to much in my lifetime.

When planning gets more serious, I'll take a look at the human element. City sizes, politics, etc... My priorities may change over time so I don't want to put in a ton of effort into that aspect of it just yet. I may need services that only a medium-large city can provide. So while I don't want to live close to one, I may be forced to when the time comes. That's a black & white difference for narrowing down places.

I'm just happy to be moving to a red state for once. 18 more days. 30 min from a city (Wichita). In an Amish community where everyone knows everything and stops in without calling. This is ok because we are mostly all related. Usually you just start with your grandpa's name if you see a face you don't know. And there's usually someone who knows someone who knows how to do something if you need something done. We will be surprising people, though, because we bought a new truck, and it is white, not red like the one everybody knows. Unless my favorite cousin said something because I told her. We are having our red truck and my Challenger transported to my cousin's place next week. Her young Rumspringa grandsons are already asking me if I'm "accidentally" leaving the keys in the car.

In my opinion (which is all I have) the states east of the Mississippi River are out because no matter what spot you pick you will be too close to dense population centers. Also a large chunk of that area is prone to hurricanes and tornadoes. West coast is out because people there are stupid and they are all waiting for a big earthquake.
That leaves the central western states. Spots in any of those states could work though in many areas gardens might be impossible or at least not dependable. Also you would want to be at least a few hundred miles north of our southern border. Also well away from any major highway.
Everywhere has satellite internet available and many places it is the only option.
You would want to be no higher than 6000 foot elevation. Water is always an issue so you would want available surface water and a good private well.
Open land around your house for fields of fire and to help prevent wildfire danger. I do not consider any wildlife to be a physical threat because they could be mostly removed in a SHTF situation. Wildlife could be a danger to your garden and domestic animals but again in a situation some of that danger while not erased could be partially controlled.
The real danger always only has two legs.
You just described where we both live! Granted, I am closer to the "big" city, and a bit higher than the 6,000 foot limit, but there is plenty of wildlife here, adequate water resources, and a lot of like-minded neighbors. Wildfire is always a risk, but my neighborhood has worked together to try to mitigate that. Weather is good - doesn't get too hot in the summer, and a good amount of snow in the winter. The land could be better for gardening, but that's why God invented fertilizer! :) I'd love to live out in the middle of nowhere, but my physical issues mean I will need to have other people around, and so I've been "training" my neighbors to get them on board with the whole preparedness routine. Oh, for those of you wondering where I am discussing, I am talking about eastern Arizona. :lil guy:

Latest posts

Back