What To Put In A Faraday Cage

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_marsh

Awesome Friend
Neighbor

What To Put In A Faraday Cage​

Home / EMP /
ByKen J.Last Update10/05/2024
what to put in a faraday cage

We are vulnerable to naturally occurring and/or weaponized EMP (electromagnetic pulse). It can potentially destroy electronic components and infrastructure – and as a result, maybe even bring down the electric power grid to varying extents. A proper Faraday cage can protect electronic items from damage. The question is, what to put in a Faraday cage? By the way, don’t take the word ‘cage’ literally. There are a variety of Faraday protection materials.
An EMP, or electromagnetic pulse. Unfortunately, most people don’t know what it is, and the extreme dangers that such an event may entail. Many others believe that it is a highly unlikely situation. However, there’s a problem with that type of thinking. The threat is very real, and we are living in a very uncertain world. Next-level preppers recognize the dangers and prepare as best they can for this potential catastrophe.
(To discover more about EMP, visit the articles I’ve posted in this category.)

Think About What To Put In A Faraday Cage​

While the follow-on effects of a devastating EMP event would be horrific, for those who are preparing — you should take some time to consider the important items to keep in a Faraday cage. The things (with embedded electronics) that may become especially significant to enhance survival post-EMP.
First, a side note… I keep a variety of Faraday cages (and form factors thereof). These include several galvanized ‘garbage cans’ and a variety of professionally made soft bags made from EMP-resistant materials and a trusted company (with proven test results).
Note that the ‘garbage can’ Faraday cage only provides minimal to moderate protection depending on how it is implemented (which may be good enough, as long as you’re not in the immediate EMP zone/region). Better yet, professionally designed Faraday bags can provide up to ~ 80dB protection, which is excellent (for example, I have several from the brand listed below). Anyway, give it some thought when choosing methods of protection.
garbage can faraday cage

Faraday Bags Provide Effective And Convenient Protection​

Mission Darkness - EMP Faraday Bags

I may earn revenue from products on this page and participate in affiliate programs at no extra cost to you (Learn More).
MISSION DARKNESS Faraday Protection Products
(storefront on amzn)
I’ve asked this question before, years ago here on the blog. What would you put in a Faraday cage? Here are some of those results from back then:
  • Solar Battery Charger for rechargeable batteries (AA / AAA, etc.)
  • Portable Shortwave Radio receiver (AM/FM, Shortwave, HF, SSB)
  • 2-way Handheld Transceivers (e.g. FRS/GMRS, ‘walkie-talkies’, etc..)
  • Laptop / Tablet / Kindle / etc.. with stored resource information and data
  • Charge controller / Inverter spare for solar power system (If you have such a system)
  • Ham radio (transceiver)

Faraday Cage Items To Protect​

Here’s my suggestion. Think of it in terms of categories such as security, food, water, and shelter (your home and property). Examine each category and think about items with embedded electronics that may be especially important or critical to you during post-EMP SHTF. Think of backups for critical survival infrastructure.
Another side note… It can become expensive to store certain electronic items, backups, and spares in a Faraday cage because they’re not readily available, especially if stored in a sealed galvanized garbage can (for example). However, for those who cannot afford to do this for everything that you may want to put in a Faraday cage, at least consider storing those high-cost items there while you’re not using them. This is where professionally designed EMP bags come in handy for much easier access.
Security is a big consideration post-EMP. It will be important to have methods of communication and gathering information during this time. That may include 2-way handheld radios. Ham radios. Receivers or transceivers with HF Ham bands (including SSB capability) are great for long-distance communications. VHF and UHF radios are good for gathering local information and/or communicating with others nearby. These are all good considerations for a Faraday cage.
Maybe you have a night vision device. This is a perfect example of a high-cost item that should be kept in a Faraday cage. I keep a PVS-14 and Holosun Laser in a quality EMP bag (shown below). Those assets are too important to lose during an EMP event.
Waterproof Faraday Bag:
(amzn)
EMP protection bag for night vision device

One of my high priorities would be maintaining ways to produce power/energy through solar. To be able to charge up battery-operated devices, radios, or tools, for example. There are lots of examples!

Here’s a quick brainstorm list of some things to consider in a Faraday cage…​

I use the following large Faraday cage bag to hold a variety of items. The bag provides fairly easy access, which I like, in case I want to use something that I have stored inside. I also keep a printed list of what’s inside (there’s a convenient pouch for that).
Mission Darkness T10
(amzn)
larege Faraday bag

Another consideration… An EMP utility bag in your vehicle. I keep one with some radios and other devices in it, and tailor it based on my trips. (I also have EMP protection on my vehicle, installed at the battery, from EMP Shield.)
Faraday Utility Bag
(amzn)
faraday-bag-for-your-car.webp

Hopefully, these thoughts give you some of your own ideas for what to put in a Faraday cage.

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/emp/what-items-do-you-or-would-you-store-in-your-own-faraday-cage/

Latest posts

Back