WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF THE LIGHTS WENT OUT?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Neighbor
Food for thought....

probably go to bed and worry about it in the morning in daylight!!!

Let us say it is a permanent power outage. I would go to my car and get my GHB and head home if that means on foot or by car.

Once home I will make sure my family members are home and safe. Then I will begin consolidate my important things into bags and boxes incase I have to bug out. Once that is done I will begin going out and get more supplies via buying or looting. Then once I ha all the gear I need I will begin to help my neighborhood by setting up a security program and starting a public farm.

Haven't seen the vid yet. Pretty different things depending on if outage appears to be long or not. (or permanent). And of course, where I am.

Surprising stance for Fox News. I'm actually surprised to see them reporting on this. Common knowledge to preppers and conspiracy nuts, etc. Our grid, the backbone of modern civilization, is extremely vulnerable to attack, and yet nobody seems to be doing anything about it.

I'm not sure if we'd be told if there was an attack on the grid. At least with an EMP pulse, we'd likely figure that out, as it would likely affect battery powered devices as well. (good note that I should probably EMP proof my BOB radios and flashlights, etc.)

More likely than not, I'd be at work. When we lose power, pretty much just sit tight. After about an hour of power being out, we'd likely be sent home without any estimate of it coming back. No doubt other employers would do the same, causing a huge traffic jam. My go to plan would be to use one of my alternate (though longer) routes home. (assuming my truck worked).

Once home (or if at home), when the power goes out, obviously first we call the power company. Assuming we got an iffy response, or that it would be out for hours, we'd have to go into storm mode. We'd fire up the generator (for the well pump, unless solar pump by then and manual option also), and fill any water containers, etc. that weren't already full. We'd then cycle the genny to power the fridges/freezers.

We'd check on propane for the grill. I'd check any local stores, just in case, using cash for payment (as I typically do anyhow). (if power is out, no registers or card machines, but smaller businesses may be cool). I know for example, I could get hay, feed, propane, pet food, for cash, power or not, as long as they are open. A local convenience store would certainly sell me canned goods, batteries for cash (he's a decent guy). All of this is before the sheeple figure it all out of course.

Once dark, we'd use the oil lamps for light, just in the rooms where we were. Would likely all grill some meat from the fridge, defrost something for the next day, and plan meals using any perishables. We'd play boardgames for fun, after dinner. We'd also try to contact our friends/family to make sure they were on the way here (they know we prep, and with them joining us in mind, though power would have to be out for a day or more, likely than not, if we can't contact them).

If it's (power) still out when we wake up the next morning, then we'll know there's a pretty big problem. Most people still won't be in panic mode yet, so again, we'll try and get out and get any supplies we can. We'll reach out to power company (assuming landline still works) of course. By this time, friends and family will on the way soon, likely within the next 24 hrs. (and bringing additional supplies, tools, etc.)

We'd check out any stores/gas stations etc. that may have backup power (identifying these early is key), and try and get any additional supplies, gas, etc. Make no mistake, the first two days would be ALL about supply runs. After that, any store open won't have anything to speak of anyhow.

The next few days will be dangerous. People will start to see no end to it, and will start to abandon all the things that keep society in check. Water will be the first big driver. Riots will happen over it. We won't see them, but they'll be happening in town. By then, friends and family will be here, ensuring we have enough sentries each hour to watch the fences and to help with defenses.

After day 2, time to break out all the SHTF stops. We'll convert horse stalls to bedrooms, put up razorwire, convert planters to sentry positions, and start with the boobytraps and alarms. More fortification of windows and doors, etc. We'll put rooster with the hens, and male and female bunnies together for breeding. May even have goats by then. Will touch base with the neighbors (mutual protection and benefit), but while being careful not to reveal too much readiness. (we'll likely get a lot of trade opportunities with water), though at this point, will be more neighborly.

After day 7 (chances of it coming back soon are slim to none), we'll convert half the shop to a bedroom, and the rest more to a trading post type area (though won't be trading for some time). We'll start expanding gardening areas to other hidden parts of the property then as well. Hunting/trapping/fishing parties sent out (going to be snake, frog, birds, etc.). At this point, we're mostly sitting tight though, trying not to call attention to us, cooking in ways that dissipate smoke, and primarily cooking in darkness to keep folks from following smoke.

i havnt watched vedio yet either..and Just like gazrok.that depends on my present location.and if it's permanet or not.if im in town some where.i'll think out my imediant situation..then the needed action(s) to get home.in which id back then into the garage.then start loading every thing that needs loading,right then n there.and what dont get loaded up right away can gotton n loaded quiekly enough..and if at home already.make sure van is in the garge.and situation be the same as getting home.and in either situation.the garage door will be down.this i can use a headlamp and/or a flash light while loading up n all

I watched the vid before my second post. Basically, a Fox News report on the fragility of our grid. Nothing I didn't already know (as I did a paper on it not too long ago), but even though Fox, it's a pretty decent piece.

Think if long period, I would have to start canning, drying, salting & smoking out what is in the freezers like crazy. I'd have a few weeks to get it done, but with three deep freezers and the refrigerator freezer, it would take a while. Gas will only last so long. Would have to switch electric pump for well into the hand pump. Other than that, well life would go on. We've done without before and can do it again, just a little more inconvenient . . . .

There are quite a few food items that normally are put in the fridge that do not necessarily need to be: Real Butter, Molasses, Ketchup, Mustard, Maple Syrup, Relish & Pickles, Veggies & Fruits, except berries if kept for more than a day, Dried Salami & Pepperoni, Eggs, Oil-based salad dressings, Jams, Juices, Mayonnaise (yes it is oil-based), Kraft cheese slices & Cheese in wax, Yogurt (if purchased commercially it can last up to 3 weeks w/o fridge) , eggs just to name the ones I can think of right now.

Think if long period, I would have to start canning, drying, salting & smoking out what is in the freezers like crazy. I'd have a few weeks to get it done, but with three deep freezers and the refrigerator freezer, it would take a while. Gas will only last so long. Would have to switch electric pump for well into the hand pump. Other than that, well life would go on. We've done without before and can do it again, just a little more inconvenient . . . .

There are quite a few food items that normally are put in the fridge that do not necessarily need to be: Real Butter, Molasses, Ketchup, Mustard, Maple Syrup, Relish & Pickles, Veggies & Fruits, except berries if kept for more than a day, Dried Salami & Pepperoni, Eggs, Oil-based salad dressings, Jams, Juices, Mayonnaise (yes it is oil-based), Kraft cheese slices & Cheese in wax, Yogurt (if purchased commercially it can last up to 3 weeks w/o fridge) , eggs just to name the ones I can think of right now.
Mayo and yogurt surprised me! Cheese has been made and transported for at least a couple thousand years, waaaaay before refrigeration. I was thinking about how much firewood we would need to use, and if gas became scarce then cutting it with an axe and saw would be pretty labor intensive. There certainly wouldn't be as many overweight people in this country after 12 months or so!

We have about 6 cords of wood here and another 5 down on the other end of the property. We became 'friends' with a guy that cuts down trees for a living so when he gets some nice wood, he gives us a call to come get it. We cut it up in chunks and haul it off for him which saves him time to go to the next job and we get free firewood. Once home we split it with a wood splitter (for now) and stack.

If I am out of town (lets say I drove to a place in southern Indiana). First I would get my GHB and the map in it. Then I would then plan out my route home. After that I would wait until night to head out. No matter if on foot or by car I would take the back roads. On the way I would get the supplies I need to get home. Then follow the plan I have for power outage at home.

We have about 6 cords of wood here and another 5 down on the other end of the property. We became 'friends' with a guy that cuts down trees for a living so when he gets some nice wood, he gives us a call to come get it. We cut it up in chunks and haul it off for him which saves him time to go to the next job and we get free firewood. Once home we split it with a wood splitter (for now) and stack.
Nice! I have always liked woodworking so I bought a bandsaw sawmill a while back. I had a buddy from high school that owned a small tree company and we had a good deal set up too, he didn't want money for the logs, so I traded things from a home cooked meal to furniture. He was happy to not have to pay the dump or wait in their lines, and I got lots of pine, cherry, magnolia, etc. I wish he was still doing it, but he got older and decided it was too hard on his body. Now I only burn in the fireplace for supplemental heat so I have enough on the property to keep me warm. If we loose power I'll be looking for a lot more but live in a heavily wooded area so I should be able to scrounge fallen stuff ok. I don't have a problem with burning pine either. True it dosent last as long as oak, or burn as well, but as long as you clean the flue each year it does fine. Even with burning all types of wood I've never had much creosote build up in the flue, but every fireplace is different so they need to be cleaned! I still split it all by hand, but do use two wedges with a sledge hammer which makes it a lot easier. With the way I eat nowadays, without the exercise I'd be huge!!!!:)

it is possible to live without electricity, we didn't have electricity in British homes until the 1930s, some places didn't have it installed until the 1960s, some even later, its not hard to do just different, although I wouldn't expect Xbox/smart phone/facebook devotees to agree with me, heck a lot of people have never even seen a coal fire never mind know how to lay one(I don't think they'd even know what that meant).

it is possible to live without electricity, we didn't have electricity in British homes until the 1930s, some places didn't have it installed until the 1960s, some even later, its not hard to do just different, although I wouldn't expect Xbox/smart phone/facebook devotees to agree with me, heck a lot of people have never even seen a coal fire never mind know how to lay one(I don't think they'd even know what that meant).
I've never even seen coal for sale. I guess that was mostly a city thing? I've done a lot of charcoal cooking but never saw it for a fireplace/stove. I was going to hook up a range for a woman about 10 yrs ago in fla. It was used, but she didn't have one so it was 'gold' to her. This was probably 2002 or so. Anyways she only had 110 volts in the small house. No 220v at all, also no circuit breakers, just the old tube fuses with cloth covered wire. It was going to cost more to put in a panel (with county inspection, which required a lot of upgrades) than she could afford. She kept using a hot plate and a toaster oven and probably is to this day. I remember how shocked I was that in this day and time someone in this country didn't have access to electric service. I think it's something we will all get used to again one day.

I'm lucky I have both copious quantities of both Sea Coal and Open Cast coal available plus millions of trees in the area I live.

plenty of scrap wood and firewood in my area, I can purchase coal and charcoal nearby. no coal mines-open seam or otherwise-in my area, plenty of tin mines in Cornwall, plenty of solid ball clay here-I suppose I could make and trade some clay bowls after SHTF?:)

Last edited:
We installed a slow-combustion stove a few weeks ago and have unlimited firewood on the property. Even though we don't need the stove for cooking we have been doing so a lot, in fact we had a micro SHTF event the other day, ran out of propane on Friday night and no way to get more until Monday. We just used the stove, not having propane hardly made any difference to our life...I love it when a plan comes together :)

We installed a slow-combustion stove a few weeks ago and have unlimited firewood on the property. Even though we don't need the stove for cooking we have been doing so a lot, in fact we had a micro SHTF event the other day, ran out of propane on Friday night and no way to get more until Monday. We just used the stove, not having propane hardly made any difference to our life...I love it when a plan comes together :)
Whether you call yourself a prepper or not, having a backup plan is just plain smart! The propane I am putting in is basically just a backup. Right now I have electric heat and cooking, I have a fireplace as my first backup, then I'll set up a propane space heater. ( It's a good idea to have a backup for your backup). I would love to have some solar for all, but will be happy if I can get my fridge on it, and mayby a small pump to bring the creek water up to the house. By the way, how is the building coming?

By the way, how is the building coming?
Slowly, I got my electronics lab/office usable then lost interest in the rest :) I'll get back into it soon.

Do any of you chaps in the Americas or Antipodes use Solar ovens ?
Not me, but many do I think. I certainly get enough sun and might make one later, but too much to do right now.

I read about a family in Western Oz who only use solar heat 100%, they have a solar oven to cook in and solar water heaters on their roof, and oddly enough from a British point of view their laundry is done using only cold water and laundry detergent designed to work best in cold water, something just about unimaginable in the UK.

I don't think we've used hot water for laundry in 20 years, maybe more, certainly since we hit the road 15 years ago. I may hook up some hot water arrangement in the containers, but really have little use for it, a kettle is all we need.

That is amazing, one of our TV shows also showed how many Aussies saved a lot of energy with cold water laundry systems, over here most laundry is done on 30 or 40 degree with boil washes still being quite common.

Do any of you chaps in the Americas or Antipodes use Solar ovens ?
I'm familiar with them but haven't tried one. I do live in the south so it could work here most of the year. I thought about trying to set up one for dehydrating more than cooking. I'd love to see one if you have it.

Speaking of saving energy, here's phase 1 of our drier.
31557.jpg

and here's phase 2

34745.jpg

Not one electron is harmed in the drying of our clothes, and just a few in the washing.
I love it!

We don't have enough sunlight in the UK for regular use of solar ovens, but I saw them used just about every day when I visited the off grid communities in Pueblo NM.

People cook with them, sterilise water with em, dehydrate / dry food with em, I even saw one guy using a pressure cooker / canner in one.

I saved a screen from a projection TV to use for one, should I ever need to.

Latest posts

Back