What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last week I canned 22 pints of cream style corn. All sealed and no breakage. Started at 9am and ended at 7 pm. Froze corn when picked, thawed, cleaned, blanched 4 minutes, cooled ,2 cups corn to 1 cup water, boil10 minutes, hot pack, 85 minutes in pressure canner.
Corn 🌽 makes everything sticky! (But it sure tastes good 😊)

@Tommyice I’ve noticed that my older jars have deeper screw-tops. Some of the new bands are so narrow, they don’t grip very well. It kinda reminds me of the water bottle caps that are so small you crush the bottle trying to open it. Anyways, if you have some older rims, you might see if that makes a difference. Also, if I’m in doubt, I will set them in the fridge after about 20 minutes cooling on the counter. That seems to help too.

I must have missed the actual recipe.
If this is what you were after, it’s the link at the bottom.
I think it was @Pearl that wanted to see pics of the green tomato salsa and how is it. Figured I'd post this here regardless lmao, the salsa is very good, but definitely tart, it might mellow out tho as it sits.
IMG_2023-08-13-13-52-52-357.jpg

https://www.ballmasonjars.com/blog?cid=green-tomato-salsa-verde-0

@Tommyice I’ve noticed that my older jars have deeper screw-tops.
= = = =
Not sure if this is accurate info... However...
I have seen jars with much more threaded area than what seems standard.. I was told this was to accommodate rings that have more threads than standard. The extended thread rings were many times used with glass lids with rubber rings..

Yesterday, 64 pints snap beans.

Today I prepped 3 gallons of sliced pickling cucumber and thin sliced onions and red peppers. They are soaking in salt tonight and I will make the brine for bread and butter pickles and can them tomorrow.

I have some huge cucumbers left, that I am thinking of halving then slicing lengthwise to make pickle slices that will cover a whole burger pattie or sandwich.

My freezers won't hold any more and the freeze dryer is booked solid for the foreseeable future. I have the last batch of onions running now and 50 lbs of frozen corn kernels waiting plus all the other goodies. I am down to having to can some stuff. I have plenty of jars though.

how in the world do you keep that from being mushy?
Zucchini is surprisingly firm. However, I haven't done anything other than bread and butter pickles which come out almost identical to cucumber pickles.

In both cases, they are sliced close to a 1/4" thick and then salted down like sourkrout and left to brine over night. I had to leave the zucchini in the subsequent brine for two days due to life getting in the way. It turned out to be a good thing.

The salt is rinsed off as much as possible, still very salty, but it works out when all is said and done.The zucchini pickles are actually firmer than the cucumber pickles and are nice in hamburgers. I pickled them with thin sliced onions and peppers which are also nice.

I imagine that you could dill the zucchini and use calcium chloride or alum as a crisping agent same as for cucumber pickles.

Back