What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter came to give me a ride home after I smoked that doe on the highway. On the way she told me that one of the AP classes she took for college credit offered extra credit points so she did the extra work and got 105% for a grade. That actually raised her GPA from 3.99 to 4.0 so she is going to graduate with a "perfect" score! She's still #4 in her class though because the triplets with 4.0 grades ahead of her, never got less than straight A grades and didn't need the extra credit. Doesn't matter to me, though. I am incredibly pleased with how well she has done...

I had to work today!! :mad: gaah
Somebody volunteered us
It said it blows up 50 balloons**.
Barely made it thru the rest of them and I could tell it was 'done' too.:(
**I looked at the free balloons that came with the new tank, fully inflated, they are 9".
Brag picture:

I take it their mascot is a lion? Very cool.
Taking a load off with a cold drink. Little granddaughter and I just unloaded 600 lbs of feed. Did our errands in the bigger town, and picked up the other truck from the mechanic.

Those are Tulane colors aren't they?

--------------------

Rained off and on all day, same tonight. Made chili and played music, exciting stuff. 😁

I had a wonderful afternoon and evening with my GF but on my way home from her place it went south in a hurry. I had just crossed the Des Moines River Bridge when a doe came sprinting out of the median and stopped in my lane. I locked 'em up and got slowed down from 70 to maybe 45 but I hit her dead center in the front of my truck. Took out the whole front end, the radiator and transmission cooler, and jammed the passenger side door. A deputy responded and since I was still 6 miles from home we decided to tow it. We'll have to see if the truck is totalled or not. I guess for a while, I'll be driving the Corolla I bought for my daughter to drive to school...
How long did it take to butcher it and get it in the freezer?
Going by the damage to your truck, you definitely paid for it in full.

hired a landscape company to help clean up my place (i have to under threat of loseing my homeowners insurance) . They brought in a guy on a smaller tractor with forks and front loader and a gal who did toteing and carrying.
Five hours of tractor work with a skilled operator made great progress. It helped that I had stacked a lot of my stuff on pallets so he could just pick them up and move them. Then he put on the bucket and moved about six cords of wood away from being too close to the house.. The gal made a big dent in my stored plastic totes I had in a temp canvas garage and now they are farther away from the house..
Expensive but worth it. Now if the two local guys can show up on their days off their regular jobs I can wrap this project up in a week.
I would have some drone shots but the wind was blowing all day at 30 to 50 mph. Feeling windburned tonight.

How long did it take to butcher it and get it in the freezer?
Going by the damage to your truck, you definitely paid for it in full.
I don't think there was a pound of good meat left on that carcass. She was broadside to me when I hit her, and most of her insides were on her outside after the impact...

Working tomorrow, so today is my only day to get a lot of stuff done. Need to mow the lawn (first day that it's not raining or otherwise wet). Have to plant the marigolds and remaining tomatoes. Hopefully while I'm mowing, Dad will be able to get the two remaining beds in order.

Turned my mattress--pillowtop so no flipping. I don't know which is worse--turning or flipping. Need to sort out warm weather clothes and pack away winter stuff.

@montanabill ain’t that somethin’? Insurance getting to decide whether they’ll cover you or not based on what’s cluttering up your property.
My neighborhood code enforcement (city) drives around all the time now, looking for violations. They give ya 10 days (to mow the yard or whatever). Otherwise you get a $250 fine. You know how some random weeds will grow really fast and reach 2 foot? That’s what they panic over. 🙄 I need to check to see if that one council person was re-elected.

My daughter came to give me a ride home after I smoked that doe on the highway. On the way she told me that one of the AP classes she took for college credit offered extra credit points so she did the extra work and got 105% for a grade. That actually raised her GPA from 3.99 to 4.0 so she is going to graduate with a "perfect" score! She's still #4 in her class though because the triplets with 4.0 grades ahead of her, never got less than straight A grades and didn't need the extra credit. Doesn't matter to me, though. I am incredibly pleased with how well she has done...
You have one AWESOME daughter Spike!! ❤️

Easy day, Coffee and Cartoons, then a "supply drop" at the RC airfield. Dave the packrack has some propellers the founder needs to fly today :). Get rid of a bunch of surplus parts while I'm at it :)

Rest and recovery day after doing too much physical exertion yesterday. I had been down with the wierd cold flue crud for almost a month and then my "minor" surgery didnt go well due to wrong post op treatment, on doxy and amoxacillan plus they opened up the site and stuck in a drain so doing much better...But my body sure loses a lot without exercise and with an infection going on.
So today is a day to do very little besides consult with my chickens and maybe go wild flower photo hunting.

Just Pondering the Possibilities...!!! Good Morning All...!!

1716036677027.png

Hey family,
Had to go for Cancer check up.
As of Thursday 1000 hours I am 3 months cancer free.
While at the VA got two new hearing aids.
And a gizmo to hook up by and to television that sends signal directly to hearing aids.
VA Pharmacy still hasn't found seizure medicine that doesn't cause seizures as a side effect.
So back to back up plan 4975.
I went into the closet of no return to put away my winter coats.
Found a couple of outfits I had never worn, mainly because I never would get to that size 8.
They fit. Not snug, I can breathe comfortably.
6- 13 gallon trash bags of clothes from the closet of no return now resides at the drop off box for Big Brothers and Sisters.Been canning too.

Mo, is Dilantin an option. My mother takes it for neuropathy but I know it's also used for epilepsy.

Sonya, I hope you have a safe trip!

I had a decent nap and was late taking my meds. Only thing I ate yesterday was a burger. Kitties are piled on me right now. They don't like the weather we've been having and they want to be cuddled.
Thank you for your concern but I don't have epilesey.
And no I have tried that particular medicine before.
But thank you for your concern just the same.

Drinking some coffee and watching the latest episode of This Old House before we go work on the family old house. We made it to the Sheetrock stage. Most of the big stuff is up now. Working on patches and starting some mud work today. Husband and the youngest are working on fences.
The oldest has his bread mixed up and rising. He has some packing to do so he can get moved up to his new place of work tomorrow. I think he’s super excited to be on a trail crew. A bag of clothes, boots, and toiletries, a tote of cooking utensils and bedding, a tote of dry and canned goods, and a cooler of cold food. Food has been his priority. 19 yo menfolk are eating machines when doing physical labor, and he is one with well tuned tastebuds. Something tells me he will be pretty popular around dinner time when everyone realizes he can cook some pretty tasty stuff.

Hey family,
Had to go for Cancer check up.
As of Thursday 1000 hours I am 3 months cancer free.
While at the VA got two new hearing aids.
And a gizmo to hook up by and to television that sends signal directly to hearing aids.
VA Pharmacy still hasn't found seizure medicine that doesn't cause seizures as a side effect.
So back to back up plan 4975.
I went into the closet of no return to put away my winter coats.
Found a couple of outfits I had never worn, mainly because I never would get to that size 8.
They fit. Not snug, I can breathe comfortably.
6- 13 gallon trash bags of clothes from the closet of no return now resides at the drop off box for Big Brothers and Sisters.Been canning too.
CONGRATULATIONS on being cancer free!! And getting in the size 8!!❤️

My DH has that and it works great for him! Downside for me is that when he is hooked up, the phone and computer are very slow if they work at all.
DH is on primidone for that. More naturally, I believe that turmeric works also.
Congratulations on being cancer free!

Yesterday, after walking, my friend and I went to the salvage grocery in a town 10 miles South. Stopped at the dispensary on the way back. Walked dogs.

Bo and I already walked this morning.
Going to run to Post Office.
Walk dogs again.
Make cheese as I never got that far on Thursday.

Trying to get my chest freezer cleaned out for incoming side of beef and pork.
So yesterday make up beef, vegetable bone broth.
Beautiful golden amber color-6 pints and 3 half pints of stock.
Will have to get more pint jars.
Hopefully will get several more pints of vegetable stock done up too.
Going to be attempting Apple Butter for the first time this weekend.
Putting on a 3-5 pound pork loin into my smoker/grill on low and slow.
Rubbing that down with my homemade rub mix.
Wrapping him up in bacon.
Smoking him with hickory.
Got new pill for headache from my fall.
1 pill every three days otherwise, I'll be loopy and sleep for days.
Knees still hurt, but one of them is on recall.
Hence why it hurts and pops like it did before replacement.
Trying to stay positive about the cancer.
Still have to take cancer pill 3 -5 years,
But I'm good with that so far.
Building up strenght,
Will walk in a bit.
Tired this morning.
Reading forums, sipping coffee.
Oh, I might get dressed for the day too.
Got to clean the kitchen too.
Have a wonderful day.

Trying to get my chest freezer cleaned out for incoming side of beef and pork.
So yesterday make up beef, vegetable bone broth.
Beautiful golden amber color-6 pints and 3 half pints of stock.
Will have to get more pint jars.
Hopefully will get several more pints of vegetable stock done up too.
Going to be attempting Apple Butter for the first time this weekend.
Putting on a 3-5 pound pork loin into my smoker/grill on low and slow.
Rubbing that down with my homemade rub mix.
Wrapping him up in bacon.
Smoking him with hickory.
Got new pill for headache from my fall.
1 pill every three days otherwise, I'll be loopy and sleep for days.
Knees still hurt, but one of them is on recall.
Hence why it hurts and pops like it did before replacement.
Trying to stay positive about the cancer.
Still have to take cancer pill 3 -5 years,
But I'm good with that so far.
Building up strenght,
Will walk in a bit.
Tired this morning.
Reading forums, sipping coffee.
Oh, I might get dressed for the day too.
Got to clean the kitchen too.
Have a wonderful day.
:thumbs::good luck: Wishing You Well...!!! 💐

Just got up to stay been up some waiting on some more rain yard looks like a vacant lot.

Took the sliding glass door apart and worked the rollers over.

The slider weighs about 150 - 200 pounds Sonny came by to help me set it back in and it went better than I expected.

I ordered new sets because these are really close to the end of their lives the ball bearings are worn significantly, cleaned them really good with WD40 and put some silicone grease on them.

Wife is glad she can drag it back without having to plant her feet now though she pulled on it this morning and nearly threw it through the back wall HEHEHEH.

Having to do Breo for the Bronchitis this week fought it for a week, but had to give in.
The wet weather make this stuff terrible, O2 is hanging around 95-96 instead of 97 to 100 right now.

Hope all are having a good weekend.

Sonny got called off of vacation, went to Collierville, Tennessee; Houston Levee Road at Poplar Avenue.
AN F150 took out the two center lane crossing mechanisms and broke the overhead cantilever signal support.
Someone is looking at a bill, his insurance can't pay probably $250,000 minimum, labor for the three workers will be over $3500 for 12 hours.

I just hope they get through it OK with the storms lightning and mad drivers.

Back