What's your "go to" space?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1719696324238.jpeg

There's a number of spots on our farm where I like to hang out. Outside the milkhouse is one place....big tree, right next to the old red barn. It's an animal hangout, too. The milkhouse has the rabbits, outside the red barn is where the neighbor's chickens come thru and eat the guinea feed that's out, the guineas come thru, and the barn cats. There's a picnic table there to have a seat. Also like hanging out in the veg garden, and on the big porch in a rocking chair.

The bench in the photo above is where most mornings around daybreak , I sit and drink my coffee and watch the day unfold as the mist from the valley swirl about like ghosts looking for a place to rest for the day . This bench sits on a 300 foot cliff . . This view doesn't have a house , a road or any other human structure in sight . On a lucky morning I may see a eagle as it searches a stream down below for a fish . At that time of morning , there is just me and the awakening calls of the birds and the hopes of having another day to enjoy .

Oddly enough, my bedroom (AKA: The Cave). It has the beer-cooler in it 😍.
Every 30 minutes or so, I go on the back patio for a puff and admire the hundreds of feet of wooden privacy fences our neighbors have put up.
I could go out in the nude and nobody would see. :thumbs:

I have a gun room I call the Armory. Racks of rifles, shotguns, handguns next to rows of ammo boxes. Also features a gun bench and a reloading bench, both with bar stools, and a rack of monitors that display my video surveillance. It's basically a fire resistant safe room in the middle of my building. I spend a lot of time in there.

Second would be my patio. Not as safe but outside with a nice view and a comfy chair. One has to tend the smoker, those wood splits don't jump in on their own.

I've got some oak and walnuts to, and a few others. But those populars grown so big and tall pretty fast. This stand popped up in an area I had bush hogged on their own 10-15 years ago and are now well over 12" diameter and 40' tall. I love them. Plus they are our State tree, and give off lots of leaves for mulch/compost

Well, it starts with the shop, where the shop tigers NEED to be fed, then I try to clean up a bit , get some idea about something and wonder around looking for something that wants a second or third life as something far more interesting than its previous in carnation. So basicly outside wondering around semi lost. until somebody shows up with something no one else can fix.........

My favorite creek, loaded with medicinal plants, 100's of species. Anytime of year is fine with me... even winter. It's dangerous though, also loaded with cottonmouths, except in winter.

View attachment 156412View attachment 156413View attachment 156414
It’s hot and humid today and that creek looks so cool and inviting—except for that snake part.

I live alone (dad is in his own house next door) so my 500 +/- square foot apartment is my go to space. A lot does depend on the weather for me. Hot & humid, it’s inside with my ac. Pleasant temp and it’s outside in the garden or patio.

I really like my backyard.
It's another living space for me. I have a nice table n chairs to park it. Beautiful views to the east n south. It's nicely shaded in the afternoon and cool air comes up the draw in the evening.
It's secure from some predators with the fencing ive done, so I can stargaze in summer without worrying about that. I don't see too many bears or big kitties and only one wolf in 10 years so I'm not in a fluff over those critters too much. I actually like listening to the coyotes yip n howl.
The barn sides along the north fenceline of the backyard, so the goats hang out with me too. When my horse was alive she was hanging out too. Lots of stargazing long summer nights away in the backyard.
I also like sitting by the coop on my truck tailgate around sunset. Have a cold one, and watch the sun go down over the north western mountains. The chickens and turkeys are entertaining characters and I like to watch how they manage themselves when it's time to roost. I can really see the flock dynamics in play and it gives me ideas to tweek their space for less flock stress.
I like my shop when it's clean. It's a great place to build stuff, my canning station is in there. I've been in the process of cleaning and organizing and it's still a mess.
My garden is pretty zen too.
There is a spot in the middle of my field that has stunning views too. When it isn't tick season, I'll go out there with a cold one and just look at the mountains n valleys n poofy clouds.

IMG_1283.jpeg

We left the back couple of acres uncleared. I keep a lawn chair “out back” to relax and watch nature.
To the left of the fence line is ours, to the right my neighbor has hundreds of acres of woods and hayfields.
That is an H&R .410 single shot, a Ruger Single Six wearing the magnum cylinder, and a Schrade fixed blade. Army blousing bands around my ankles to keep the ticks out.
We have several doe deer and a family of red Fox that live in our woods. The foxes don’t bother our chickens so I don’t bother them. Plenty of rabbits and squirrels. Hopefully the raccoons and possums never come back - we lost chickens to them.

Someplace you like to hang out.
I have a garage/building that I hang out in/at almost daily. A place for projects, puttering around or just relaxing. I can open the barn style door, pull up a chair looking outside and just admire mom nature.
I have a few. In good weather the orchard on The Ridge is peaceful and quiet.

20240406_135326_HDR.jpg

In hot and humid we have an enclosure front porch where I drink my coffee and can watch the weather come and go.

My shop is a comfortable place were I get lost in frivolous projects.

Ben

Ben

Not around here. Up at the grasslands. In Virginia mountains. Couple of the state parks a drive away. Temple. So many beachy places I've mentioned before. I used to sit out on my patio at the houses we owned here. Nice view at the first one, out across the back, farm field, up to the ridge where we could see close by thunder heads rolling through.

Latest posts

Back