When did MeMe's start. I looked up Meme's and it just seems crazy.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
When did this meme thing start. I looked up the definition and remain totally confused about memes.

What were things that are "now" called memes, called in the decades long ago....???

mem.jpg

It just happened… there’s no reasonable explanation, especially for the name.

May as well ask why hotdogs come in packages of ten while hotdog buns come in packages of eight.
So you will buy more.

That was/is one of the pieces that I read, "before" posting the question on this forum. It seems to say anything can be a meme.
So you have clue then.

The thing is that there’s an art form to it. I mean when presented to the proper audience the meaning comes through, and with an entertainment value, while making a valid point.

When did this meme thing start...

IMO.. 'Elijah' started it, waaay back: (this was when Ejijah called out the 'Prophets of Ba'al' to a 'contest' between Ba'al and Yahweh (aka Jehovah) and the 'One that answered with Fire was the "True God"... Obviously, nothing much was happening with the altar / sacrifice set for Ba'al, so...

1 Kings 18: 27 - "...About noon E·liʹjah began to mock them and say: “Call out at the top of your voice! After all, he is a god! Perhaps he is concerned with a matter and is deep in thought or he has excrement and has gone to the privy. Or maybe he is asleep and someone needs to wake him up!” (..now That is some Funny 💩 right there! 😂👍

Ergo: Memes are usually some sort of Thermonuclear Satire, ie: here's a couple I've made:

Beware-The-Jab-Troopers.jpg

ISWP.jpg
:)

..but may Also just be 'pointless, silly jokes' that make one laugh, ie:

Chicken-Game.jpg
😂 Or one of My All-Time-Favs..

That-s-Right-Kitty.jpg
😂😂etc..

jd

Last edited:
I thought a meme was someone who constantly photographs themself and sends it to as many people as possible. So, someone constantly thinking others care what they do. Like people photographing themself, next to a sign, or landmark. A way of drawing attention to themself. As a constant me-me-me-me-me.

I thought a meme was someone who constantly photographs themself and sends it to as many people as possible...

No Sir - that would be a Social Media-poisoned Narcissistic 'Selfie / Dopamine-Junkie'... :rolleyes: They have become a Plague.

A 'meme' about them, though, would be ie: a Photo of one, with some smart-aleck Caption, lampooning them for their totally World-aloof actions like 'Buried in her phone-world, Karen didn't realize that "Going Viral" wasn't really referring to walking obliviously into the Open Sewer Manhole right in front of her'.. :) etc

jd

I thought a meme was someone who constantly photographs themself and sends it to as many people as possible. So, someone constantly thinking others care what they do. Like people photographing themself, next to a sign, or landmark. A way of drawing attention to themself. As a constant me-me-me-me-me.
I called a meme a Me Me & my son laughed so hard he almost fell out his chair.
That however is a selfie & yes I have sent pic's of my food to the children when they where at work.

The definition of "meme" has changed. Originally it had to evolve into a meme because people picked up on it and spread it.
Now you just put words on a picture and PRESTO! It is instantly a "meme."
ImAMeme.png

Back