Who said SE's neighbours were just a bit "odd"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Earth

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
The Weekend around here :) Trekkies and Comic Con types have nothing on us. oh and yes there were Americans there from some place called Salem.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hitby-inspired-Bram-Stoker-write-Dracula.html

Fangs for a great weekend! Goths and vampires take the bracing sea air at Whitby which inspired Bram Stoker to write Dracula
  • Donning helmets with horns, waistcoats and skull-topped canes, thousands of goths descended on Whitby
  • Whitby Goth Weekend is an alternative music festival attracting fans of Steampunk, Cybergoth and Victoriana
  • The North Yorkshire town was chosen because of its connections to Bram Stoker's Gothic thriller, Dracula
  • Stoker visited in 1890 and was inspired by the rugged landscape, abbey ruins and a church filled with bats
By Shari Miller For Mailonline

Donning top hats and dreadlocks, helmets with horns, waistcoats and skull-topped walking canes, thousands of goths dug out their most outlandish outfits - and took to a quintessentially English town on the coast.

Whitby Goth Weekend, a twice-yearly alternative music festival, has been attracting fans of Steampunk, Cybergoth, Romanticism and Victoriana since 1994.

The North Yorkshire town became an attractive prospect to host the event, given its close connections to Bram Stoker's timeless Gothic thriller, Dracula.

In 1890, the Irish writer decided to holiday in Whitby and was immediately inspired by its windswept headland, dramatic abbey ruins, a church surrounded by swooping bats, and long associations with jet – a semi-precious stone used in mourning jewellery.

During his stay, he also visited Whitby's public library, where he found a book published in 1820, recording the experiences of a British consul in Bucharest, William Wilkinson, in Wallachia and Moldavia (now in Romania), who makes mention of a 15th-century prince called Vlad Tepes, known as Dracula, who was said to have impaled his enemies on wooden stakes.

It is here that Stoker would also have heard about the shipwreck five years previously of a Russian ship called the Dmitry, from Narva - which in his famous novel becomes the Demeter, from Varna - the very vessel that first brings Dracula to the shores of England at Whitby.

4BAE00CB00000578-5671221-image-a-62_1525014773377.jpg

+13
Birds of a feather: This crow-masked reveller and his companion, wearing a top hat with feathers, were among the thousands of goths and steampunks who descended on Whitby this weekend to enjoy the twice-yearly Whitby Goth Festival

4BADFC5F00000578-5671221-Olivia_Fairless_was_among_those_visiting_Whitby_Yorkshire_where_-a-66_1525015152324.jpg

+13
Olivia Fairless was among those visiting Whitby, Yorkshire, where Bram Stoker found inspiration for his novel, Dracula

4BADFBC300000578-5671221-image-a-68_1525015347175.jpg

+13
Ahoy there! Revellers don their best pirate outfits for the Whitby Goth Weekend, which first started in 1994

4BADFAEF00000578-5671221-image-a-70_1525015511808.jpg

+13
Golly goth: One festivalgoer dons a skull mask and horned helmet, complete with black bullet vest waistcoat, while another shows off his dreadlocks beneath a classic top hat

4BADFA9F00000578-5671221-Village_of_the_Damed_This_reveller_styles_out_his_look_with_a_bl-a-5_1525020980745.jpg

+13
Village of the Damed: This reveller styles out his look with a black-and-white outfit, fishnets and black platform heeled boots

4BADF9B700000578-5671221-Uptown_punk_This_elegantly_dressed_couple_rock_the_steampunk_loo-a-6_1525020981146.jpg

+13
Uptown punk: This elegantly dressed couple rock the steampunk look by combining top hats with brass goggles and guns

4BADF86700000578-5671221-image-a-77_1525016306293.jpg

+13
If the hat fits: These ladies give Ascot a run for its money with their elaborate costumes and steampunk-inspired headwear

4BADF4CC00000578-5671221-image-a-78_1525016388764.jpg

+13
Dead good: Skulls are all the rage for these festivalgoers, appearing on bags, walking canes, jackets and masks

4BADF39B00000578-5671221-Thousands_walked_through_the_streets_of_Whitby_which_provided_Br-a-4_1525020980726.jpg

+13
Thousands walked through the streets of Whitby, which provided Bram Stoker with the inspiration for his novel, Dracula

4BADF22700000578-5671221-image-a-82_1525016731881.jpg

+13
Good mourning: Funeral hats, dark clothing and floral dresses are all the rage at this year's Whitby Goth Weekend

4BADF18F00000578-5671221-Victorian_gentleman_This_dapper_gentleman_pulls_off_the_steampun-a-2_1525020980666.jpg

+13
Victorian gentleman: This dapper gentleman pulls off the steampunk look in his blue velvet coat as he ascends a steep hill

4BADED5F00000578-0-image-a-61_1525012125741.jpg

+13
Black Goth-ee: Visitors take a break from the festivities, while donning their superb outfits complete with horned hats

4BADEDF300000578-5671221-Top_of_the_Goths_This_reveller_completes_her_look_with_black_and-a-3_1525020980670.jpg

+13
Top of the Goths: This reveller completes her look with black and red lipstick, exaggerated eye make-up and a rose tattoo

I can sit here and laugh about how odd these folks look. i do hope they are having fun, no matter how insane they look.

But then I remember, it's not uncommon for me to sit down for lunch in a restaurant wearing my bee suit. I do unzip the hood & take off the gloves. But from neck to toes I'm in a white funky looking suit. And it often has that distinctive bee hive smell, with a whiff of smoke added. It does open up some enjoyable conversations.

I can time how quickly people think. Some immediately chuckle & ask (say?) "beekeeper". Others take a couple of seconds and ask. And for others, it's beyond their ability to comprehend, so I help them out and say it for them. Then their heads nod, and they tell me how it's so great & I'm saving the world. (cough)

To each their own.

SE, I love your brick roads and the architecture of old history in your country. Locally I only see the early 1900s.

it wouldn't do to be ordinary, "I was normal once, worse 5 minutes of my life";)
I've spent most of my life amongst alternative types, bikers, outlaws, hells angels, prostitutes, drug dealers, hippies and homeless, I don't think i'd know what to do with a "normal" person!!!:p

SE, I love your brick roads and the architecture of old history in your country. Locally I only see the early 1900s.

In Whitby you can see archetecture going back over 1000 years like the Abbey where Dracula was featured, not much middle aged stuff, but plenty from the 1700s onwards.
Whitby if famous for Dracula but also Captain James cook the explorers who found Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii

Sounds like fun. Eventually I'll have a good Goth/Steampunk getup, as I love the visuals of the genre.

In my repertoire now, for Cons, I've basically got:

A War Wizard (full suit of leather, dragonscale like armor, with a robe under that has electronic "spell" effects, etc. and a shoulder dragon puppet (that fools many into thinking he's real) - wife has matching dragon armor, but also airbrushes scales on her skin, wears horns, and has dragon wings that can fully open and flap...it's pretty impressive.

Dr. Horrible (web movie by Joss Whedon, starring Nathan Fillion, Neil Patrick Harris, etc., labcoat, Wonderflonium case, gloves, boots, whole bit) - wife goes as Penny (played by Felicia Day)

Harry Dresden (with a prop Bob the skull (signed by the author, the guy who played him on the TV series (Dresden Files), and Jim Marsters (who did the voice for the audiobooks, and played Spike in Buffy). - wife does her True Blood waitress

Starlord (though I do need a good mask, have it all otherwise) - wife goes as Gammora

Force Awakens Luke Skywalker (complete with nice lightsaber). - wife goes as Last Jedi Rey (and has the BB-8 droid that follows her)

Ash (chainsaw hand and an awesome Necronomicon book, from Evil Dead). - wife is usually a True Blood waitress

Ren Faire Noble (nice doublet, feather cap, boots, swords, etc.) - wife wears her Ren Fest style wedding dress

Zombie Doctor (a doctor, who got turned into a zombie, bloody labcoat, stethoscope, etc.) - the wife usually goes as a zombie patient with hospital robe, etc.

Depends on which Con we go to, it's theme, and all. Probably some others I'm forgetting, but these are more of the go to ones.

My kids have been going to Dragoncon in Atlanta for years.

That is really the ultimate Convention in the southeast. We try to go each year, but have missed the past two years. Just trying to get caught up with things. Probably next year again. (not this year though). It is a HUGE con, spanning like 5 hotels, and goes for about a week. It's just amazing, and you really are in a different world for that week. (and unlike other Cons, there's still things going on at like 3 in the morning).

We also love meeting all of the celebs from our favorite shows and movies. Most other good Cons may have like 10-20 good celebs, but DragonCon has like 50, and then some. The hardest thing about the Con, is figuring out what to do each day, as so much is going on at the same time.

Latest posts

Back