Why Did You Join this Forum?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grimm messaged me about this forum. I knew her and a few others from PS. I had almost stopped posting over there but decided to give this place a try. Don't remember how I found PS. I think it was through the Survival Blog by Rawles. I'd been a avid reader of SB for many years, even won their quarterly writing contest once. I researched any information and links that appeared on SB, which revealed the whole prepping world on the net, one way or another.

I came from Prepared Society.....Well, kind'a.......they "BANNED" me.
Welcome to the 'club'!!!
You earned your badge that says: "I'm interesting dammit!!!"

When I came to this forum I was "Virgin Prepper"........just look at me now, shucks, I got (3) three rolls of butt'wipe, (2) two frozen pizzas, and (14) fourteen cases of rotgut "Cheap Tequila". I am now super advanced prepper.

Oh I remember when you got banned there. I guess you're behaving now?

I came "sooooooooo" close to getting banned here also. Locked horns with "Havasu".

I came from PS as well. Don't recall who told me about this site, but I'm glad they did.
I've been on these type forum since around 2007 or 8. Still on my original site, but traffic is way down from back then. Change of owners just about closed it. After the change several folks started a new site, which I still use. When it first got started it grew like crazy. But now days there are very few still using it. I can see it closing down next time the renewal comes around.
This site is my go to. So many topics to learn from. So many knowlegable folks. And for the most part there isn't a lot of backstabbing and degrading activity. Although there is some that I have recently learned about, much to my surprise. Opened my eyes. But it is a great site.

I had a "stalker" (certified troll) on the other Homesteading Forum. He tormented me everywhere, but this was the "only" forum he never found me. But maybe he knew Angie, is a "certified troll exterminator". I don't miss "Barefoot Farmer" - "Snyper" - "Snyper708".

Some time back........"Grizzly'Girl" and I joined "new (just started) prepping/survival forum. Grizzly'girl joined but did not post anything for a few weeks. When she posted her first post she mentioned me, and the banned her on the spot. They had banned me after one week.

There are a few of us here from the "Wilderness Survival Forum"......but I got banned there also, after ten years, and 9,000 posts. That was a good forum, but it is dead now.

Some time back........"Grizzly'Girl" and I joined "new (just started) prepping/survival forum. Grizzly'girl joined but did not post anything for a few weeks. When she posted her first post she mentioned me, and the banned her on the spot. They had banned me after one week.

There are a few of us here from the "Wilderness Survival Forum"......but I got banned there also, after ten years, and 9,000 posts. That was a good forum, but it is dead now.

LOL, It turned out that they thought we were dirty old socks.

Imagine that. Little did they realize we were the two most original posters they ever had. Ain't nobody quite like us. Their loss, tho.

When I came to this forum I was "Virgin Prepper"........just look at me now, shucks, I got (3) three rolls of butt'wipe, (2) two frozen pizzas, and (14) fourteen cases of rotgut "Cheap Tequila". I am now super advanced prepper.

When you signed on as "Virgin Prepper" I about peed my pants from laughing so hard. Imagine that, the most advanced survivalist that I have ever met, a "Virgin Prepper."

You are one of a kind.

Thank God, lol.

I kind of thought of here as an island, where more and more shipwrecked survivors keep washing ashore...

Me, Sourdough, Elk, Morgan 101, and a couple of others were shipwrecked from a couple of forums that went belly up (or nearly so), one after another! Was starting to get a complex about that, lol.

There is a "bunch' of us here who were the "core' for a pure survival forum..........and we had "total" run of the place. There were "no" moderators, they had vanished. There was "no" administrator. And the owner visited once a year, around Christmas. "Grizzly'girl" rolled up her sleeves, and went to work try to keep it running, and build it up. But eventually there were so many administrative problems with the forum that required an administrator/or owner. It actually went pretty darn well, considering there was "zero" management or oversight.

Eventually we all departed there, and became refugees at a different pure survival forum (from "HELL").

Now we got most of us back together here........and we think the management team here treats us fair, so we are happy. After two back to back "pure survival forums", straight from hell, we are darn easy to please.

I have been a member of soooo many forums ....... Let me see the first was in the late 90s called Survival Forum and have been known as ssonb on ever one since. I have never been banned but I seem to have the ability to sense the mood on a board and I just "drift". I don't lie I don't exaggerate, I like the honesty here even tho I did pester S 18 some.

Refugee camp is a good term, but IMHO we are a happy one. I'm glad we all landed where we did.

Tank Girl: I believe Lone Wolf is from the UK and Rebecca is from Canada, so there are a couple of others from other countries. I for one always enjoy hearing a different perspective. I think it helps widen your scope.

I had a "stalker" (certified troll) on the other Homesteading Forum. He tormented me everywhere, but this was the "only" forum he never found me. But maybe he knew Angie, is a "certified troll exterminator". I don't miss "Barefoot Farmer" - "Snyper" - "Snyper708".
I like "certified troll exterminator". Years ago I was a moderator/admin on a fishing forum. In the "backroom" my nickname was "The Axe". The kinder/gentler/more diplomatic mods talked to and resolved most of the problem posters, but when they failed, the miscreant talked to me.

A former knowledgeable forum was going down hill fast. Deleted my posts, changed my contact information and left without saying goodbye or shutting the door.

Don't remember if it was a personal contact or a random search that brought me here. Wide range of subjects, a little slim on the Homesteading and Country living posts (IMHO) but the overall atmosphere has kept me here.

Last edited:
I still drop by KTOG every now and then and look in.
5 whole new posts today! :woo hoo:
Of course, 3 of them say: "Check out the pictures of this new thing I bought, and thank you for giving me a free place to host my pictures on the web! :thumbs: "
You are right, today it is a sad, hollow shell of it's former self. :(

Ditto... Joined in 2013, all of 7 posts.

Actually only popped back in for data and ideas on my new (to me) P-17.

I came from Prepared Society.....Well, kind'a.......they "BANNED" me.
Well, some of us remember the moment you were banned and we cheered. I'm not going to even hint at apologizing, because you needed to go, in my opinion. When you joined here as Virgin Prepper, I knew who you were and sent a PM to someone else who was happy that you were banned at the old place. I have always been very cautious about you, because you attacked a couple of us there, which caused you to be gone, and Caribou to become a hero. I have had high regard for Caribou ever since.
Welcome to the 'club'!!!
You earned your badge that says: "I'm interesting dammit!!!"
I didn't know this about you, but I have always liked you and your comments here. Maybe you are much better behaved now.

I still drop by KTOG every now and then and look in.
5 whole new posts today! :woo hoo:
Of course, 3 of them say: "Check out the pictures of this new thing I bought, and thank you for giving me a free place to host my pictures on the web! :thumbs: "
You are right, today it is a sad, hollow shell of it's former self. :(
I stopped by RT a couple months ago as well. Some of the old crew were still there but posts were few and far between. I will say, that there were about as many posts on that forum, as in the firearms section of this one. Think about that for a minute - the entire place was about as busy as one section of this place...

I came from several other forums.
Still belong to 3.
Came for friendship, knowledge.
I don't live in the country,on a homestead, farm or ranch.
Live in an apartment, in semi rough neighborhood.
Retired military, law enforcement.
Like hanging out with like minded persons.
I haven't brought anyone over from the other forums I belong too.
Cause some are already here.
And some would try to ruin what we got here.
Which is why I left there.
I came because someone told me I would be welcome.
That it wouldn't matter if I did things backwards.

A former knowledgeable forum was going down hill fast. Deleted my posts, changed my contact information and left without saying goodbye or shutting the down.

Don't remember if it was a personal contact or a random search that brought me here. Wide range of subjects, a little slim on the Homesteading and Country living posts (IMHO) but the overall atmosphere has kept me here.
Yes, slim on the the Homesteading and Country living posts and content. We have had a couple people who have wanted to drive those posts into the ditch, smack them down, "Ridiculous idea," every time. In other forums, I see topics and when I try to create similar posts here, OMG! Smack!
I remember when this forum started and I had the thought that there is NO CONTENT here! We have to create it! For a while, it was not hard to do that, because you could pick any topic about H & CL and there was a need. Then it seemed, someone wanted to turn everything into an off topic argument. UGH! We need to get back on track, IMHO, about H & CL, because that is the name of this forum.

Last edited:
Let me see. I came to this forum because I needed homesteading and prepping type friends. And it would be good to have more homesteading type posts. But, I think prepping and homesteading is much the same thing. Bottom line - being able to live like my great grandparents did when my uncle was a boy.
Not that we want to go all the way that way, but being able to be self sufficient should any number of disasters happen.

I'm glad all of you are here. And in some cases banned members from one forum are actually the good members of another.

Agree with that, but there are some "city preppers", too that just stack it to the rafters and don't homestead. I'd hate to be in the city right now, and will never go back. But we do need to encourage those in prepping if they have to live in the city. I do worry for them when things go south.

Latest posts

Back