Worming Chickens...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I lived where we had chickens we fed left over Halloween pumpkins.. Indoor pumpkins would get broken open, outdoor pumpkins would be froze and thaw in the chicken house.. They ate every seed and bite of flesh in the shell.. We sliced and dried pumpkin slices for meat rabbits.. Chickens got kitchen scraps and scratch grain in a warm gruel the really enjoyed all times of the year..

Dad mentioned he hasn't wormed the chickens this summer so I poured half a solo cup of food grade diatomaceous earth in their feed barrel this afternoon. I usually give them some twice a year. It sticks to their feed pellets.

Also, gave them some juniper tonic. It does wonders for chickens, especially after a molt which they did last month.

Juniper aka eastern red cedar... a great tonic and medicine for people and livestock. For chickens I just grab a handful of berries and twigs from the nearest cedar and drop it in their water tank.

20241005_145117a.jpg
20241005_145221a.jpg

Latest posts

Back