Doomsday Prepper Forum

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So was it named “doomsday” because of the Mayan calendar ending in 2012?
The TV show "Doomsday Preppers" was aired on the History Channel over 2012-2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Preppers

To quote media reviews at the time:

Neil Genzlinger in The New York Times condemned it as "absurd excess on display," noting "what an easy target the prepper worldview is for ridicule" and "how offensively anti-life these shows are, full of contempt for humankind."

One of the sponsors of the show was the Wise Food Company (who are also well accepted to be one of the worst scam corporations that have ever attached itself to the Prepping Community).

For those that missed the show or forget what it was like, here are couple of samples that are still on youtube:

The preppers they cast for the show certainly kept the medics from the History channel busy........and they could have edited all that out of the final broadcasts......but of course, that was the gold they were looking for.

.......and it worked.....Doomsday Preppers was the highest rating show that the History Channel ever produced.

...For those that missed the show...

OMG, make it Stop, make it Stop!! The Facepalm is just Too much!! o_O I'm - really - glad I never wasted any more time on that hot garbage than watching a few 'previews'.. Even This ~5 minutes I'll never get back.. Need to go ask my Creator for forgiveness, now.. ;)

jd

If I'm not seen or heard from for a while.... I'll be binge watching Doomsday Preppers...

Here ya go, Buddy...

The-SICK-BUDDY-Toilet-Bowl-Barrier-09-1200x900.jpeg
1000_F_96163600_rcz0JwxG1vMtVoYbhPdJHzS68ozXFPcw.jpg
640px-Alka-Seltzer_tablet_dissolving_1.jpg
..Deep breaths, just relax, let it roll up, This too, shall pass.. ;)

My condolences to yer Brains.. ;)

jd

The TV show "Doomsday Preppers" was aired on the History Channel over 2012-2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Preppers

To quote media reviews at the time:

One of the sponsors of the show was the Wise Food Company (who are also well accepted to be one of the worst scam corporations that have ever attached itself to the Prepping Community).

For those that missed the show or forget what it was like, here are couple of samples that are still on youtube:

The preppers they cast for the show certainly kept the medics from the History channel busy........and they could have edited all that out of the final broadcasts......but of course, that was the gold they were looking for.

.......and it worked.....Doomsday Preppers was the highest rating show that the History Channel ever produced.

The forum has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SHOW just so you know.

DPF form in 2012 I believe which was well after the 2000 scare.

The forum has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SHOW just so you know.
As per the link above, the TV show "Doomsday Preppers" premiered on the History Channel in 2012.

The forum may not have anything to do with the show now........but the forum was almost certainly named after the show back in 2012, the same year in which they both originated.

As per the link above, the TV show "Doomsday Preppers" premiered on the History Channel in 2012.

The forum may not have anything to do with the show now........but the forum was almost certainly named after the show back in 2012, the same year in which they both originated.
And once again. I joined back in 2012. I knew the creator of the forum. You are reaching.

I've been a member over at ddp sinceApr 3, 2013 sorry to see it close down..been a member here since Dec 5, 2017.aint been here in quite a while those.i hope that the transfer goes good.
Just whenever DDP gets "turned Off," the owner of that Domain Name can point his DNS to this page and when any lost DDP member visits the DDP that they have bookmarked, it will pop them right here and they'll see the explanation at the top of this thread. I think that's right? Webby folk chime in?!

Northern Exposure is cool. Seriously.... taken with a dozen grains of salt - it's cool.
Filmed in WA. I believe it was a sitcom and about Alaska, both good reasons for me to avoid it. That is okay, there are several hundred channels to choose from that have worse shows.

Well......if the creator of the forum had the good sense to not want to be associated with the TV show, then he/she went about it in a strange way.
One may or may not have existed before the other, or the the founder may not have been aware of the program.

I wasn't there, I don't know, but it's an ASSUMPTION they are related.

Just Saying. Besides , it's a moot point now, it was over a decade ago.

Just whenever DDP gets "turned Off," the owner of that Domain Name can point his DNS to this page and when any lost DDP member visits the DDP that they have bookmarked, it will pop them right here and they'll see the explanation at the top of this thread. I think that's right? Webby folk chime in?!
When I first heard about the merger.... I thought it might be that simple, but.... now it seems to be way more than that simple thing.

Filmed in WA. I believe it was a sitcom and about Alaska, both good reasons for me to avoid it. That is okay, there are several hundred channels to choose from that have worse shows.
Bro, I thought it was filmed in BC, British Columbia. show cracks me up cuz it is so ridiculous. like somebody elsesssss have mentioned. @OldSchool @dademoss @Amish Heart
On track!!!

Well......if the creator of the forum had the good sense to not want to be associated with the TV show, then he/she went about it in a strange way.
It was a very popular show. I’d guess that he wanted to piggyback on that popularity. An internet search for Doomsday Prepper would turn up the site and increase membership. The show generated a lot of awareness and interest in the movement. Those that were turned off to the movement by the show were never going to join us anyway.

There was one episode I liked where a doomer had to cook for a ton of people with her food storage. Like a neighborhood party or something.
I cracked up when listening to their "rating" by whoever about their readiness at the end of the show. I think there might of been a British version, too.
I remember that episode. ;) Sorry she had a lot of good info which included wax dipping of cheeses I think. Sorry it's been Many years now so my memory may not be right.

It was a very popular show. I’d guess that he wanted to piggyback on that popularity. An internet search for Doomsday Prepper would turn up the site and increase membership. The show generated a lot of awareness and interest in the movement. Those that were turned off to the movement by the show were never going to join us anyway.
......as always, your perspective is interesting.

But I assess that since we are talking about a forum that is about to cease to exist, a similarly logical argument could be made that associating itself (intentionally or otherwise) with the TV show was poor marketing.

I would certainly be put off by the name.......and yet I have been posting on a couple of similar forums for about ten years or so.

As we say we do, this is a polite discussion......and not meant to be poking anyone......

Not with Clyd, the origianl owner.

its main street and the filming location was that of Roslyn, Washington. "Northern Exposure II" (the main production facility) was in Redmond, Washington,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back