Is this woman after a male relative just for her green card?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This hits close to home, as my oldest son is now going through a divorce (her choice), just months after his wife achieved citizenship.

I loved my daughter-in-law, and I don't want to think the worst. But the timing is suspect...

I'm sorry that I don't have any advice for you regarding your relative. It sounds like you've done all you can do.

I pray for him every day but he hasn't met any American woman who he likes. This one has him wrapped around her finger already.
its not the finger.....!!

As a parent or as a good friend...
We are responsible for the effort to do our best..
We are not responsible for the outcome..

Just my thought: There's more at stake here than a green card. Let's say they get married. She files & becomes a citizen in a couple of years. Then she is here legally & she files for divorce. And he's left standing at the door waving bye to half (or more) of his stuff & probably all of his money.

There's an old saying that I'll modify to fit this story:

Think long, think wrong.
Think fast, think way wronger.

Bad grammar but you get my drift.

My wife's ex BIL married a smoking hot Russian the was years younger than him.
After she got her green card she told him to get out of the house because it was now hers.
He ended up with nothing and a visit by 3 very big Russian guys that explained how it was going to go.
He lost a lot of money and property.
He deserved every bad thing that ever happened to him.
He was a worthless POS who treated my wife's sister horribly.

This hits close to home, as my oldest son is now going through a divorce (her choice), just months after his wife achieved citizenship.

I loved my daughter-in-law, and I don't want to think the worst. But the timing is suspect...

I'm sorry that I don't have any advice for you regarding your relative. It sounds like you've done all you can do.
Heck, I'm old enough to remember when the "Order your Russian bride today!" advertisements were in every magazine.
If you paid the 'shipping', they would send you one. :D
Today, a lot of our 'newcomers' will be looking for a husband.:rolleyes:

Some lessons are hard to learn. Similar situation in our family. We gave our thoughts and then backed off. He was a grown man (in his late 50's) and we let him make his grown up decisions. Then when it fell apart we were there to help him pick up the pieces without the I-told-ya-so's.. we only hoped he would learn his lesson, but alas, he's in another questionable relationship... and his grown self will make his own grown decisions.. lol

The timing is very suspect. Not only do they break someone's heart, they take half of what they own.

The timing is very suspect. Not only do they break someone's heart, they take half of what they own.
Fortunately for my son, that is not the case. My daughter-in-law is very successful and financially independent, so he hasn't been dealing with that.

I can't imagine adding that to the mix. :(

Fortunately for my son, that is not the case. My daughter-in-law is very successful and financially independent, so he hasn't been dealing with that.

I can't imagine adding that to the mix. :(

Your son is fortunate then. However, it still leaves a broken heart and wasted time when he could have met someone else. How anyone could feign love and use someone as a means to their end is beyond me. I wish they'd do away with this marriage/ green card fiasco - I've researched it for a week and it's horrible what these people are put through.

Okay I have a doozy for all of you. A male relative just got a divorce and is 40. He is 6'1" handsome, and skilled. His wife is going to kick herself when she wakes up from her delusion. Anyway, he told me about the American women now and I didn't understand it until I began watching "Dating Delusions" and "Kevin Samuels" on YouTube. If you don't believe America is done watch those videos.

So there's a movement called "Passport Bro's" - men fed up with western women so they're looking in foreign countries. So I told my male relative to look for a Guatemalan farm girl. So he met a woman from Ecuador who is pretty, and seems nice. They've been dating 2 months and she's after him to marry her so she's not deported. I am beside myself. I thought they were letting everyone into the country - I didn't think they were deporting anyone.

So my male relative is really under pressure. He really likes this young woman but she's pressuring him. I warned him not to marry her but he's afraid she'll get deported and a gang is allegedly after her to extort her for money - which is why she came here. I don't know if I trust that story either.

Can I get feedback from all of you for your opinion? I feel responsible for telling him to find a foreign woman, never thinking someone would pressure him to marry her for her green card. I know he was broken up after the divorce but I'm afraid it's just a rebound relationship. He went to a restaurant with her family and they all spoke Spanish. I never thought this would happen.
I would first tell him not to rush into anything. I was single again after my divorce, for a few years before I started dating again. It took several more years thereafter to find my spouse. She has been worth the wait, but during those dating years I came to see how awful women are to men in the dating world, nowadays. I am glad to now be very happily married and hopefully permanently off the market.

My experience is that dating-age women today SUCK. They treat men like garbage and don't respect men. If you're not 6' tall, handsome, athletic, and have a great job and income you'll be used and then she will date up to the next level until she's finally found someone who has "everything". By then, she may no longer be young and attractive. Men are tired of women who are a 6 acting like they are a 10, and of being disrespected. So, many young men have dropped out of the dating game. I will say age can be a plus, for men. I was in my mid-40s when I found my perfect match. I'm not 6' tall but was established in my career, stable, mature, and healthy (at the time). 5 years later, we have three amazing little kids (youngest is 4 months) and a small farm. My bride is from a strong Catholic family here in the US. There are good women who are "native" but they are hard to find. Marrying a foreigner has liabilities of its own and is not a cure-all for the issues US-born women present marriage-minded men. I have known foreign-born women who marry long enough to gain citizenship, then divorce.

Last edited:
I would first tell him not to rush into anything. I was single again after my divorce, for a few years before I started dating again. It took several more years thereafter to find my spouse. She has been worth the wait, but during those dating years I came to see how awful women are to men in the dating world, nowadays. I am glad to now be very happily married and hopefully permanently off the market.

My experience is that dating-age women today SUCK. They treat men like garbage and don't respect men. If you're not 6' tall, handsome, athletic, and have a great job and income you'll be used and then she will date up to the next level until she's finally found someone who has "everything". By then, she may no longer be young and attractive. Men are tired of women who are a 6 acting like they are a 10, and of being disrespected. So, many young men have dropped out of the dating game. I will say age can be a plus, for men. I was in my mid-40s when I found my perfect match. I'm not 6' tall but was established in my career, stable, mature, and healthy (at the time). 5 years later, we have three amazing little kids (youngest is 4 months) and a small farm. My bride is from a strong Catholic family here in the US. There are good women who are "native" but they are hard to find. Marrying a foreigner has liabilities of its own and is not a cure-all for the issues US-born women present marriage-minded men. I have known foreign-born women who marry long enough to gain citizenship, then divorce.
Good to hear of your success. I hope for this young man's as well.

As do I...but caution is warranted. Retired military...have seen too many of these kinds of things go bad. That said...I've also plenty of US to US marriages go bad. That's the military for ya...
The divorce rate is high among non-military. I'm just worn out and am trying to help a family member not get taken. Not doing the best job as I don't know hardly anything about the topic. But my gut churns when I see a woman pushing for marriage to an exceptionally nice guy. Most guys would probably tell her to f-off (hate to say) but this guy is truly a nice guy and I'm trying hard to keep him from a possible deceiver.

Latest posts

Back