Pies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
2 pies
Chocolate/pnut butter

Apple pie

6 tablespoons Hershey chocolate unsweetened chocolate powder
Sweet condensate milk
P nut butter

Mix in a bowl
1- cup sugar
4-tablespoon butter. Melted
6- tablespoon chocolate powder

Add to bowl,
14oz sweet condensate milk
1/4 cup peanut butter
Mix together

Open a new cool whip container
Mix well

Pour all into a pie crust and freeze
836EA421-6C6E-40BF-98E3-8728D36088D8.jpeg
0E37392A-0812-4C94-8071-7FABDA66C512.jpeg

I have quite a few pie recipes. We used to have a neighbor who had a pie party each year so we always tried to mix it up. Butterscotch pie, shoofly pie, errr it’s after my bedtime. Think my brain shut off. That’s all I got tonight. Will have to check back in.

Frodo, I've been wanting a pie thread! Thank you!
I like pies and have made many in my life, but seems like I only make them around Thanksgiving time now.

Soda Cracker Pie

14 soda crackers, rolled fine
3 eggs whites, beaten stiff
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Bake egg whites until stiff. Fold in sugar and vanilla. Fold in crackers, baking powder and nuts. Bake in well grease 9 inch pie plat at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Rocky Road Pie

Source: Our Savior Lutheran Church Cookbook
South Dakota 1991, page 243

Rocky Road Pie

1 1/2 cup cold half and half or light cream
1 package (4 serving size) chocolate instant pudding
3 1/2 cups (8 ounces) cool whip (I would substitute with 8 ounces of whipping cream, whipped)
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup miniature marshmallows
1/3 cup chopped nuts

Crust: use a graham cracker or chocolate crumb crust.

Pour half and half into a large bowl. Add the pie filling mix. Beat with a wire whisk until well blended, about one minute.

Let stand for 5 minutes. Fold in the remaining ingredients. Pour into the crust. Freeze until firm.

Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.

Sour cream raisin pies are popular in my area. They are an acquired taste. Not much for gooseberry pie. Really like peanut butter pie. And of course, pumpkin. Growing pumpkins for my pies right now.
Recipe please, Sounds yummy

Rhubarb Strawberry Streusel Pie

http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/2016/07/flashback-friday-canada-day-rhubarb.html
Line a pie plate with your favorite recipe for pie crust.
Mix together :
  • 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
  • 2 cups strawberries, sliced
In a separate bowl combine :
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cup flour
Pour over the Rhubarb and strawberries.
Top with Streusel :
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup hard margarine or butter
Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes then turn the temperature down to 350 and continue to bake for another 30-40 minutes until the topping is a golden brown.

This is someone's family recipe and she didn't want to share it, but somehow, my daughter got the recipe from her. We've made this pie several times.

Pear Pie

Ingredients:

1 unbaked pie shell
3 or 4 pears, halved and cored
1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons flour
a dash of salt

Place the pears flat side down, small end in into pie shell.

Sprinkle the pears with the lemon or lime juice.

Beat the eggs and sugar until thick and lemony. Add nutmeg, vanilla, flour and a dash of salt. Pour this over the pears.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350 and bake for 25 more minutes.

Haven't made this one in years, but we like it.

Raspberry Cream Pie

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon and 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 12 oz. package frozen raspberries
1 9 inch unbaked deep dish pie crust

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Combine sugars, flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add cream and vanilla, stir until smooth.

Separate raspberries and place in pie crust. Pour cream mixtrue over raspberries.

Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees. Continue baking 55 to 65 minutes or until the center is firm. Cool completely. Refrigerate.

I've never made this, but I saved the recipe because it sounds very interesting.

Crazy Surprise Pie

This is the most unusual, albeit delicious, pie you could possibly imagine. If you follow the directions precisely, it will have no sauerkraut taste. In fact, you may wonder why it tastes so much like coconut. To make sure this remains our little secret, don't leave the empty sauerkraut can where anyone will see it.

3/4 cup drained and chopped sauerkraut
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2-1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 9-inch pie shell

Preheat oven to 425 F. Drain sauerkraut very well; chop by hand or place in food processor and process for several seconds. Drain again to make sure it is very dry. Stir cinnamon into drained sauerkraut.

In a large bowl, combine milk, sauerkraut, sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. Pour mixture into the unbaked pie shell. Bake at 425 F for 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into filling 1-inch from the edge comes out clean.
Yield: 6 servings

Oh, I have another funny: There is a little kitchen type store down town that has a huge variety of vinegars and oils. There is a garlic olive oil that we like so go in periodically. Last time we were in there, we were browsing around and I said, "Oh look, a pie bunny." Hubby looked at me sideways and asked what a pie bunny was. I told him it was like a pie bird but a bunny. And knowing he had no clue what a pie bird was also told him what that was. He began laughing at me. Said he was laughing that I would know what a pie bunny was. The pie bunny was brown. If it was white, I would have purchased it. I have a pie bird so am covered. ;)

Paul Harvey's favorite Rhubarb Pie recipe

Paul Harvey Favorite
Perfect Rhubarb Pie Recipe
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 55 min. MAKES: 8 servings
Ingredients
4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
4 cups boiling water
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca
1 large egg
2 teaspoons cold water
Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
1 tablespoon butter
Directions
Place rhubarb in a colander; pour boiling water over rhubarb and allow to drain. In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour and tapioca. Add drained rhubarb; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk egg and cold water; stir into rhubarb mixture.
Preheat oven to 400°.
On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of the pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Bake 15 minutes.
Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 40-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Yield: 8 servings.

Editor's Note: If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out. Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp. salt; cut in 1 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.

Rhubarb Strawberry Streusel Pie

http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/2016/07/flashback-friday-canada-day-rhubarb.html
Line a pie plate with your favorite recipe for pie crust.
Mix together :
  • 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
  • 2 cups strawberries, sliced
In a separate bowl combine :
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cup flour
Pour over the Rhubarb and strawberries.
Top with Streusel :
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup hard margarine or butter
Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes then turn the temperature down to 350 and continue to bake for another 30-40 minutes until the topping is a golden brown.
I have not had rubarb since I was a youngster at my grandmas knee

I have not had rubarb since I was a youngster at my grandmas knee
I've got some growing in my garden. I had picked all of the bigger stalks one day a couple weeks ago and then we had a big storm with hail. What was left in the garden was really hit hard. I had strawberries growing around the rhubarb and cannot even see where they were now.

Fried pies
The full diaper:
I need a real recipe for the crust, so until then, I use thinned Bisquick.
In an iron skillet pour out enough batter to make a 4/5" pancake, as soon as it begins to bubble, pour in a mixture of marshmallows, melted peanut butter and chocolate chips and flip over half the pie and press down the edges, put on low heat and continue to flip every minute or so until it suits you. lay them out on a cloth to cool, if you stack them they tend to spew before the peanut butter is cool.

Here are some filler ideas for the same method of crust:
1 can of drained fruit cocktail+1 can of cherry pie filling, makes a tutti fruity.

Stew 1 cup of stewed apples, 1 cup of raisins, a shot of nutmeg, and brown sugar
until thick.

1 can of cherry pie filling+1 can of banana slices mixed well.

This one is more of a meal than dessert:
In a high-wall pan, bake a 1" thick crust of cornbread.
puree 4 large tomatoes, 1/4 of a fist-sized onion, 1/4 cup of black olives, 1/4 cup of mushrooms, a tablespoon of basil, and black pepper, let drain until it is thick enough to stand your spoon in and ladle it over the crust. Some people add slices of Zucchini or ground-up summer sausage before bombing it with goat cheese and baking it on low heat for half an hour or until the cheese bubbles.

Fry pies are one of my favorites. Around here, just made with pie crust...cut a circle, put in filling, fold in half, pinch down. A light glaze of powdered sugar and milk (mixed) is added after cooking. I love the cherry cream cheese. Little granddaughter likes the lemon. Husband likes the blackberry cream cheese. Not fond of the chocolate, because it's just pudding mix, not the real stuff. One of my cousin's granddaughters bought herself a new Charger. She paid cash. Sold fry pies at every farmer's market and saved it up. The last community dinner we had to raise money to offset someones med bills had fry pies for dessert...all kinds.

Our pie cherry trees are loaded with fruit and about a week or so out from being ripe. I'm looking forward to a cherry pie.
If you want to con me out of something... bring one of these to trade. :oops:
I helped my mom make them when I was a kid.
Making all of those strips from scratch and weaving them into a lattice-top is a lot of work, but it made them even more wonderful.:D
ibeyulnkkkpv0mvyedjy__04385.1677141442.jpg

66939-24fec87730b9bde82f7a3c8fba039e1e.data

Last edited:
Dang, Supe, that looks good! :rolleyes:

The only pie I've had lately is a pecan pie I've been working on for several days now, lol... it's tasty, but it's rich! :oops:

I've also been working on a big ol' bag of fresh sweet cherries lately, they are great in the morning (after my regular glass of fruit juice). Cherries contain anthocyanin, an antioxidant which is really good for your system! :cool:

If you want to con me out of something... bring one of these to trade. :oops:
I helped my mom make them when I was a kid.
Making all of those strips from scratch and weaving them into a lattice-top is a lot of work, but it made them even more wonderful.:D
ibeyulnkkkpv0mvyedjy__04385.1677141442.jpg

66939-24fec87730b9bde82f7a3c8fba039e1e.data
That is a beautiful sight!
I picked a big bag of Bing cherries yesterday, that's what's for breakfast. The birds eat a lot of our sweet cherries but leave the pie cherries alone. Looks like we're going to have a good crop of choke cherries too.

That is a beautiful sight!
I picked a big bag of Bing cherries yesterday, that's what's for breakfast. The birds eat a lot of our sweet cherries but leave the pie cherries alone. Looks like we're going to have a good crop of choke cherries too.
We have an understanding with the wild life concerning the fig tree
Birds can have the top figs
Deer can have the lower figs
The waist high figs are mine !!!!

Latest posts

Back