Pies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, Supe, that looks good! :rolleyes:

The only pie I've had lately is a pecan pie I've been working on for several days now, lol... it's tasty, but it's rich! :oops:

I've also been working on a big ol' bag of fresh sweet cherries lately, they are great in the morning (after my regular glass of fruit juice). Cherries contain anthocyanin, an antioxidant which is really good for your system! :cool:
I got some yesterday. They are supposed to help you sleep better. I keep some in the freezer that I get from Costco. They are great in a smoothie.

That is a beautiful sight!
I picked a big bag of Bing cherries yesterday, that's what's for breakfast. The birds eat a lot of our sweet cherries but leave the pie cherries alone. Looks like we're going to have a good crop of choke cherries too.
We had a big chokecherry tree in the yard when I was a kid. They are a lot of work! They are small, and have large seeds relative to the overall size. We did have a lot of chokecherry jam when I was a kid.

If you want to con me out of something... bring one of these to trade. :oops:
I helped my mom make them when I was a kid.
Making all of those strips from scratch and weaving them into a lattice-top is a lot of work, but it made them even more wonderful.:D
ibeyulnkkkpv0mvyedjy__04385.1677141442.jpg

66939-24fec87730b9bde82f7a3c8fba039e1e.data
I love cherry anything, but I really love a cherry pie. Cherry in German is kirsch. One of my ancestors was a Kirschbauer, a cherry farmer. The name hasn't been in the family in almost two centuries, but I've always been interested in the potential history of it. How did those people all those years ago grow enough cherries to earn that name? How to start a cherry seed and grow a tree from it? I did once. Cherry pit is planted in a pot, watered, covered and kept in the fridge for at least 5 months, and then it sprouts. It did. Then when I set it outside, it, hardening it off, it died. Grrrr.

I bake pies often. Lately it's been cherry pie or dark chocolate cream pie. I'm a "don't use coolwhip" kind of snob.
Instead of using a meringue on a lemon pie. Try using whipped marshmallow
It’s pretty good

Rocky Road Pie

Source: Our Savior Lutheran Church Cookbook
South Dakota 1991, page 243

Rocky Road Pie

1 1/2 cup cold half and half or light cream
1 package (4 serving size) chocolate instant pudding
3 1/2 cups (8 ounces) cool whip (I would substitute with 8 ounces of whipping cream, whipped)
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup miniature marshmallows
1/3 cup chopped nuts

Crust: use a graham cracker or chocolate crumb crust.

Pour half and half into a large bowl. Add the pie filling mix. Beat with a wire whisk until well blended, about one minute.

Let stand for 5 minutes. Fold in the remaining ingredients. Pour into the crust. Freeze until firm.

Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.

Thanks, Weedy. Rocky Road ice cream is my favorite. I will definitely give this a try.

Peanut Butter Pie

1- graham cracker crust
1- can of sweet condensed milk
1-cup Peanut Butter, melted in microwave
1- tub of cool whip

Melt the peanut butter, I zap mine for about 30-45 seconds
Mix peanut butter and condensed milk
Fold in half of the cool whip
Pour/spoon into the crust, cover with remaining cool whip, put in freezer till frozen. 5C0465E5-7A30-4256-9CDD-15063D12AFDB.jpeg

As easy as it gets. I added chocolate chips, and it was great.

If you've ever had Costco Pumpkin pie, you know it is hard to beat. The pumpkin used, is not pumpkin, it is Dickinson squash! The Best Pumpkin Custard Pie Recipe (Costco Copycat)

About Costco’s Pumpkin Pie​

According to the Costco Connection the Costco pie recipe has been the same since 1987, when it first hit the shelves. The actual recipe is closely guarded, but I believe you will love this copycat recipe — even more!

The variety of pumpkin used in Costco’s pumpkin pie recipe is Dickinson pumpkins, which is actually a squash. And surprisingly enough, this is the same type of pumpkin that Libby’s uses, it’s their proprietary variety called Dickinson Squash.

Pumpkin Custard Pie Recipe (Costco Copycat)​

This pumpkin custard pie recipe is spot-on for a Costco pumpkin pie recipe! With a buttery crust, creamy custard filling; this is the best pumpkin pie, perfect for Thanksgiving dinner!

Have questions?Find the full recipe, including tips, step-by-step photos, storage instructions, and save to your account at:

https://www.thefreshcooky.com/pumpkin-custard-pie-recipe/
Prep Time 20minutes minutes
Cook Time 55minutes minutes
Total Time 1hour hour 15minutes minutes

Servings 10 servings
Calories 190kcal
Author Kathleen Pope

Ingredients​

• 1 single pie crust pre-baked, 9 inch pie crust (see note 1)
  • 3 large egg yolks room temperature
  • 1 large egg whole egg, room temperature
  • ½ cup granulated sugar I used cane sugar, white sugar may be used
  • ¼ cup brown sugar packed
  • 15 ounce pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie mix, I recommend Libby's (see note 3)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract try bourbon vanilla extract too
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ground ginger
  • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon allspice
  • ⅛ teaspoon cloves
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • ½ cup whole milk

Instructions​

• Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and move the rack to the lower third of the oven, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place in the oven on the lower rack. (see note 2)

Par-Bake Pie Crust​

• Freeze pie crust for 30-60 minutes before baking (this prevents shrinking). If desired, just before baking brush with a beaten egg and 1 tablespoon cream for a glossy crust. (See notes)

Dock pie crust all over the bottom and sides with the tines of a fork AND place a piece of aluminum foil or parchment paper in the pie, adding pie weights (dry beans or dry rice may also be used).
  • Place prepared uncooked pie crust (with docking and weights) in preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, then carefully remove the pie weights and bake for another 5 minutes. This will prevent your crust from getting too soggy while baking the pumpkin pie.

Pumpkin Custard Pie​

• REDUCE OVEN TEMPERATURE to 325 degrees F. Keep the baking sheet in the oven.
  • In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolks until beaten. Add the sugars, whisking until smooth and blended. Add pumpkin, spices, salt and vanilla and whisk until just combined. Pour in milk and heavy cream and whisk until smooth.
  • Pour into the prepared pie shell and carefully place in the oven on the baking sheet. Bake for 45-60 minutes. The pumpkin pie is done when the center shakes like jello when gently shaken. (see note 5)

Or when the internal temperature reaches 175 degrees F. (See note 1 on oven temps). It will firm as it cools, place on a cooling rack and cool for 2 hours, then transfer to the refrigerator until ready to serve. May be made up to 3 days in advance, 24 hours is just about ideal.
  • Serve with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Notes​

Pro Tips for the Perfect Pumpkin Pie
  1. 9" standard pie crust is what this recipe will fill, if you choose to make a deep dish pie, know that it will show more crust and not quite fill the pie, but it still works fine. You can make 1 ½ times the recipe if you prefer to fill a deep dish.
  2. Accurate Oven Temperature | Using an oven thermometer make sure your oven heats correctly, then adjust your oven accordingly.
  3. Not all pumpkin purees are equal | I tested with Trader Joe’s organic pumpkin, Whole Foods organic pumpkin and Libby’s pumpkin puree – Libby’s was the thickest and least watery of the three. Libby’s is non-GMO and grown in the USA, which I feel good about. Homemade pumpkin puree is not recommended.
  4. NO Pumpkin Pie mix, that is already mixed with sugar and spices and your pie will not turn out.
  5. Baking longer than 60 minutes can over bake the custard, causing cracking in pumpkin pie. It will still taste good, just not as creamy. Custard pies have a much creamier texture when baked at lower temperatures, then chilled well.
  6. If par-baking the uncooked pie crust I highly recommend you use parchment paper and pie weights as it will help the pie to keep from shrinking.
  7. You may choose not to pre-bake your pie crust, just know that your pumpkin pie might be a bit soggier, which some people like - make it yours!
  8. If your crust is browning too much, wrap foil or a crust guard around the crust until finished baking.
  9. Freezing your pie crust ahead of time is very important, especially when baking an all-butter pie crust, this hardens the fats and also allows the gluten to relax yielding a more tender and flaky crust.
  10. Chilling | It's important to let your pie cool on the counter for 2 hours on a cooling rack (there's a reason Grandma used to place her pies on the windowsill), this allows the pie to set and finish cooking. Then be sure to chill for at least 4 hours, longer is preferred.

Storage | Cool on counter (cooling rack) for 2 hours, then refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours , overnight is preferable. Place plastic wrap over pie and store in fridge up to 3 days.
FREEZE | Wrap well, several times in plastic wrap then slip into an airtight baggie and freeze up to 3 months.
THAW| Place pie in fridge overnight to thaw, bring to room temperature by setting on the counter an hour before serving.

Variations & Substitutions
Try and stick with the recipe on this one, custard pies can sometimes be a bit finicky. These changes shouldn't alter the recipe.
  • Change up the spices | Replace the spices with Pumpkin Pie Spice, use 2 ½ - 3 teaspoons. If you don't like one of the spices, omit it. If you like it more gingery add a little more ginger, you get the idea! Make it yours!
  • Bake in a cookie crust or in a graham cracker crust, or replace graham crackers with gingersnaps.
  • Replace sugar(s) with ⅓ cup maple syrup, or even try cup for cup sugar replacements.

Nutrition​

Serving: 1slice | Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.002g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 141mg | Potassium: 154mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 7090IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 1mg

I don't usually buy baked goods as a rule, and this pie reinforced my prejudice towards store bought.
== ==
Agree with this.... However, the best purchased pumpkin pie I've found has been from Walmart.. Who would have thought that.. ??
When we had lots of apples we would make 7-8 for the freezer.. Going a bit light on the spices made them thaw and warm to a very good taste..

It has been so long since I have had sour cream raisin pie it is a crime..

I made the Rocky Road pie today, and it turned out really well. I was very pleased, and it was very easy to make. Even more important, my wife liked it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

When I lived in ..bush... We collected used Jack-O-Lanterns.. Indoor ones got sliced thin and dried for meat rabbit treats.. Some were chunked and included in homemade canned chicken feed.. Out door pumpkins were always frozen and went to the chickens..

Bean pie

recipe from friend

2 cans navy beans
2 cups evaporated Milk
1 stick butter
4 eggs
1.5 tablespoons flour or cornstarch
2 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp vanilla extract.

Mix and put in pie shell. That’s all there is to it. Will make 2 8in pies

Bake on 350 for somewhere between 45-60 min / until center sets.

Sweet potato pie recipe has never been shared here.

Sweet Potato Pie​

Recipe from "An African American Cookbook, Traditional and Other Favorite Recipes" by Phoebe Bailey, page 166.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

4 to 6 medium sized sweet potatoes
1/2 lbs. (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 to 6 eggs
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup milk
ground nutmeg to taste
9 inch unbaked pie crust

1. Boil potatoes until soft. Peel then mash to smooth consistency.
2. Add butter, sugar, eggs, and flour. Mix well.
3. Add milk and nutmeg. Mix well.
4. Pour into pie shell.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 3/4 to 2 hours until lightly brown and set. Cool before slicing.

Not a fan of sweet potato pie, but I do like sweet potatoes. I use the Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie Recipe and make my own crust.
I usually buy what is on sale. I used to bake pumpkins and make my own, but gave it up. I searched for Libby's recipe. Of course they mention name brands.

I like a lemon ice box pie
Super easy to make, friendly on the pocket and good

Use a graham cracker crust
Paint it with butter
Cook at 350 for 10 minutes or so

1/4 cup lemon juice
1- can of sweet condensed milk
Mix and pour into shell
Freeze and eat

Or

1/2 container cool whip
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 can condensed milk
Whip it, whip it good
( mix/fold in cool whip)

Pour into crust and freeze

You can add to this recipe. Fruit, nuts, different juice like lime instead of lemon

Someone mentioned about some people who post back to back posts. Sometimes in threads like this, it can be me! I try not to, but sometimes it happens. I think I have more pie recipes in my recipe blog that I have not shared here.
Nope, nope, nope
I take issue with what someone mentions

Conversation is the exchange of ideas and it akin to a babbling brook
At times the conversation moves along I a straight path but at other times an idea can find itself in a whirlpool or it may sit in one spot and spin

In my opinion, their is no right or wrong way to post on a forum, their is no off topic
A conversation is a free flow exchange of ideas that meanders in different directions It may stall or repeat itself but one thing is for sure , sooner or later it always comes back to the original point spoken

Ok I need coffee.and some PIE

This is an experiment

I just made it and it is freezing

Do you have fun pops in your area?
Take 5 thawed fun pops. (I used apple)
Adda 1 can sweetened condensed milk
Tablespoon cinnamon. And mix
I did not put mine in pie shell. And wI’ll not till I have the mixture tight/worked out
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back