20 HP 48" Scotts garden tractor

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearl

Finder of lost things AND The Boss
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Picking it up for free tomorrow morning (Hubby, Pearl has to work 🙁)!! Opinions wanted! Made in '99, 2000, 2001 by John Deere, 20 HP twin Kohler, 48" mower deck, PTO! The engine runs fine, needs deck work! Knowing us we will be mowing with it tomorrow!! And some cool fun... Hubby made a working transaxle for a Craftsman mower today out of two bad ones! So the old green bean Craftsman will be mowing again!! Back to the Scotts, JD has been known for bad transaxles ( amongst other things), but this may be old enough to be awesome!! Updates tomorrow!!

the deck spindle bearings often fail due to the newer bearing being sealed, I usually pull the spindles apart and make sure the in side seals are removed, and before re assembly, drill a hole for a zerk , in a somewhat conveinient location, . the axle , prolly just needs lube, most people just fill them with gas and if your lucky change the engine oil once in a while the rebrands are just lawn tractors, not meant to use as garden tractors

The gas tank is cracked and it may have a clutch issue! Rigged a gas tank temporarily, starts right up!! The deck is in good shape!! Hubby has been home less than two hours with it, now has it in his shop to to check it out in depth!! Looks like a great find!! Updates soon!!
maybe just a bad electric connection to the clutch, lets hope

the deck spindle bearings often fail due to the newer bearing being sealed, I usually pull the spindles apart and make sure the in side seals are removed, and before re assembly, drill a hole for a zerk , in a somewhat conveinient location, . the axle , prolly just needs lube, most people just fill them with gas and if your lucky change the engine oil once in a while the rebrands are just lawn tractors, not meant to use as garden tractors
Awesome advice! Much appreciated!!

Have I bragged about my Sears/Roper Garden tractor and accesories, that a local guy clued me to on FB market place. 20 T with snowblower, blade, and deck, cost me 300.00, thought I was going to get a "Ran when parked", but he had it fired up when I got there, he even drove it into my trailer, and helped load the accesories with his baby loader. After the deal was done he said he had a bunch of replys, but he stuck to our deal, so big win for me.

What is the difference?

Ben
normaly the rear axle strength, torque capacity and the front axle isn't meant for much of a load, other than the mower deck.
A Garden tractor would have much more robust axles, and be equipped to more accesories, like a tiller, snow blower etc, some of the larger garden tractors were able to handle a front end loader.

Many will have a 3 pt hitch and PTO for dirt work, tilling, or bush hogging
I think they new term is sub compact, cause they don't really want people to garden any more, mind games.

Back