Just because it "SUCKS" and is Unfair, your job is to deal with it.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Pay attention to your "personal" reality. Don't pretend it is invalid or inconsistent with your expectations. "FIX-IT".

Pay attention to your "personal" reality. Don't pretend it is invalid or inconsistent with your expectations. "FIX-IT".
I'm sorry, I got nothing to fix. :(
Found out years ago that having plenty of money solves most/all problems.
I fixed that decades ago. :)
I'm not getting fat, and only health problems are just typical aging stuff.
I brag too much already about having my cataracts removed and cyborg lenses installed. Eyesight will be perfect until I die.
Sorry for the shameless bragging, but I did make an important point in line 3.;)

Last edited:

That sounds like something you might hear at one of those motivational seminars. Nobody has any clue what it means or how to apply it. But they stand up and cheer for it anyway.

I think this one means "Try to improve your situation". Did I get it right? If so, I agree!

I had a son in law once that was constantly complaining about the management in the mill he was working at. I told him if he didn't like the way things were being run, then work hard and maybe after a few years he might get a management position. Of course like most whinners he just wanted complain. Never did want to try and understand, or to just shut up and do his job.

I had a son in law once that was constantly complaining about the management in the mill he was working at. I told him if he didn't like the way things were being run, then work hard and maybe after a few years he might get a management position. Of course like most whinners he just wanted complain. Never did want to try and understand, or to just shut up and do his job.
Or better yet, get a better job. :)
When I graduated with a degree in Diesel and Heavy Equipment Mechanics, 2 years of school taught me 1 thing: I don't want a damthing to do with heavy equipment!:mad:
Started by working on 18-wheelers, then switched to garbage trucks, that actually paid better.
We vacationed in the Caribbean for a week each of the next 6 years.
Then I discovered the field of working on electric/electronic/computer-controlled equipment was where the megabux were, and I never looked back.:)
They not only needed guys that could fix things, they needed brilliant guys that could troubleshoot complicated control systems.
They guarded us lead-techs like heart-surgeons, and jacked our pay up yearly to prevent the competition from luring us away.
It's nice to be loved!:huggs:

My personal reality doesn't suck, nor is it unfair. It is inconsistent with my original expectations, but I have adapted accordingly. Plus I got fixed a long time ago so that's not an issue.

Last edited:
I feel much better knowing that you-all are fully (over 100%) prepared for the future.

I have for a long time been haunted by the fear that many who believed they were ready, might not be.

I am not ready, just now.

I'm always in a constant state of getting ready, but I think I've been that way for a long while. So no end. Besides, things keep changing, and sometimes I learn new ways of doing things. And sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate. So maybe the plants didn't grow, or maybe it didn't rain. Anyway, it's good to keep at it.

A man with 60 years ahead of him and a $10,000,000,000 in the bank could still never begin to be fully prepared. Every day brings a new potential threat and brings your preps one day closer to expiration or irrelevance. You can live your life to the fullest and maintain reasonable preparedness of you can spend your days chasing the ultimate survival stash, skills, etc. Either option still results in death at the end. Maybe sooner, maybe later, that's mostly up to luck.

We spend most of our summers prepping for winter. Harsh winters and dry summers are the biggest concerns that we have here. Will we get a heavy snowfall to add enough moisture so that we'll have good grass for the livestock? Will we have a fire blow through our land? It has before, and most likely will again some day. These are the biggest prepping concerns that we live with every day here. When I'm out feeding in several feet of snow with howling winds, or trying to rescue a half frozen calf, or get stuck in a snow drift that's up to the hood on my Jeep and have to walk a couple miles home, everything else seems pretty trivial to me.

the amount of control you have in your life, is the amount that you take, I spent most of my life self employed so there was no real point complaining about the boss. I know that as mentioned above no plan survives much beyond contact with reality. that said , if everything was easy, I would get stir crazy and still build things out of cast off junk so I just embrace the "suck", hook a hose to it and let it do some of the clean up.

Latest posts

Back