Barbecued rabbit

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent S

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Well, I got the HARE brained idea of raising rabbits for meat a few months ago. After getting some juvenile rabbits, raising them, breeding them, finally getting a litter successfully raised, then going thru the trauma of killing and cleaning the cute little things, I finally realized something. I can't believe it took me so long to start eating rabbit! They were delicious! I slow cooked the cleaned pieces with potatoes, onion and carrots on 275 for two hrs., sealed tight with foil. Then I put the rabbit on the grill and raised the uncovered veggies to 450 for the last little bit. I brushed barbeque sauce on the rabbit, and it was amazingly delicious. I have 6 more in the freezer to try cooking different ways. I think I'll try frying the next one, but am looking for more suggestions/receipies. Either way, I'm pretty happy with my first experience. It is really satisfying to reach this point for me. I have always been a meat eater, I just had never gotten to know any of it before eating it. I raised a batch of chicks recently, and when they are big enough to tell which are roosters they will become fryers as well.

Well, I got the HARE brained idea of raising rabbits for meat a few months ago. After getting some juvenile rabbits, raising them, breeding them, finally getting a litter successfully raised, then going thru the trauma of killing and cleaning the cute little things, I finally realized something. I can't believe it took me so long to start eating rabbit! They were delicious! I slow cooked the cleaned pieces with potatoes, onion and carrots on 275 for two hrs., sealed tight with foil. Then I put the rabbit on the grill and raised the uncovered veggies to 450 for the last little bit. I brushed barbeque sauce on the rabbit, and it was amazingly delicious. I have 6 more in the freezer to try cooking different ways. I think I'll try frying the next one, but am looking for more suggestions/receipies. Either way, I'm pretty happy with my first experience. It is really satisfying to reach this point for me. I have always been a meat eater, I just had never gotten to know any of it before eating it. I raised a batch of chicks recently, and when they are big enough to tell which are roosters they will become fryers as well.
Just don't name or talk to the bunnies.

how about gloves instead..rabbit dont need the warmth no more..lol
I did freeze the pelts, I'll wait until I get about twenty five before I try tanning them. By the way, what's a sporran?

hare/rabbit,very lean meat,we used to make a stew in the oven,did put some pork along just to get some fat in the dish,you lucky son.....if my co-workers knew I'm drooling over some rabbitmeat those ladies would kill me ;)

hare/rabbit,very lean meat,we used to make a stew in the oven,did put some pork along just to get some fat in the dish,you lucky son.....if my co-workers knew I'm drooling over some rabbitmeat those ladies would kill me ;)
Yeah, Ive caught alot of 'how could you!'s Still, after tasting, it was worth it!

It's a man's purse/pouch made off fur that goes over a tartan kilt. lol
I just noticed where your from, no wonder you know what one is! (ok, so I'm not so observant)lol Dont you eat alot of rabbit over there?

we do,but we have to hunt it,very seldom do you find it in stores,last batch of rabbit meat wes from my kids grandpa

i rarely see any rabbit around here.so i been leaveing them well enough alone..especilly seeing how the ones i've seen are smaller then i care for...now here's all talk about rabbits..makes me wanna go out and get one :p

I just noticed where your from, no wonder you know what one is! (ok, so I'm not so observant)lol Dont you eat alot of rabbit over there?
Bunnies would be my top hunting food over here...Bunnies are very good at making more bunnies after all. Apart from that deer, fish and of course the haggis...joking haheha.

I remember my dad told me that during ww2, his mom had rabbits in a cage,those rabbits were really needed,she could sell the fur and get some extra money,haggis I've never tried it but would love to do

I remember my dad told me that during ww2, his mom had rabbits in a cage,those rabbits were really needed,she could sell the fur and get some extra money,haggis I've never tried it but would love to do
I only eat the veggie kind, it's all a bit gross for me. Black pudding's worse...Dry blood and gut's

I only eat the veggie kind, it's all a bit gross for me. Black pudding's worse...Dry blood and gut's
Yum! Andrew zimmern would be in heaven. (He's on the travel channel, and travels the world to eat nasty things!).

Do you have hares in the states, like a rabbit but much bigger & faster.
I honestly did not know there was a difference in hares and rabbits. I know we have lots of wild varieties, as this country is huge, but all I see around Georgia is a brownish cottontail that a medium size. The new zeland whites I'm raising are at least 50% larger than any of the wild ones I've seen. I hear that the jack rabbit in Texas is pretty good sized.

I honestly did not know there was a difference in hares and rabbits. I know we have lots of wild varieties, as this country is huge, but all I see around Georgia is a brownish cottontail that a medium size. The new zeland whites I'm raising are at least 50% larger than any of the wild ones I've seen. I hear that the jack rabbit in Texas is pretty good sized.
Gona teach my 10yr old to use a snare to catch rabbits, I'm sure they wont like it but at least the skills past on if anything should happen to me.

Gona teach my 10yr old to use a snare to catch rabbits, I'm sure they wont like it but at least the skills past on if anything should happen to me.
i dont think snares are legal here in Ga., but i watched a youtube video on them and its a brilliant idea! there were multiple types that were pretty easy setups.

i dont think snares are legal here in Ga., but i watched a youtube video on them and its a brilliant idea! there were multiple types that were pretty easy setups.
I'm not sure if they are legal here, I would only use them if the shtf and the law would not matter then. Still it's good to pass on the knowledge legal or not.

we don't really have rabbits here (except in pet stores... I'm aiming to raid some when SHTF) but we have loads of tilapia, catfish, pigeons, white doves ...

catching them is a whole different ball game :)

I'm working on barbeque chicken now, it was exactly 21 days of turning the eggs in the incubator and the first chick broke out of its shell this morning. A friend gave me 48 eggs, well see how many make it.
image.jpg

we don't really have rabbits here (except in pet stores... I'm aiming to raid some when SHTF) but we have loads of tilapia, catfish, pigeons, white doves ...

catching them is a whole different ball game :)
Catfish are are tough, I think there everywhere on the planet. I've never heard of eating pigeon, but I'm sure it's just a scrawny chicken by the time it's plucked and cooked. Bon appitete!

I'm working on barbeque chicken now, it was exactly 21 days of turning the eggs in the incubator and the first chick broke out of its shell this morning. A friend gave me 48 eggs, well see how many make it.View attachment 2353
So sweet, I'm gona cry when you eat them, Don't talk to them or name them and if you do don't tell me.lol

nice,raising own chicken sounds good,pigeon is tasty, I'm waiting for next hunting season for them
fish in general is great,it's nice to go fishing,better when you catch some ;)

Latest posts

Back