Barbecued rabbit

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always wanted to eat rabbit. I have wild hare's that live out near my house and i've tried reading up on a good time to kill and eat and clean but i'm unsure. Any help of if these rabbits are okay to eat or the best month to shoot? something?

I've always wanted to eat rabbit. I have wild hare's that live out near my house and i've tried reading up on a good time to kill and eat and clean but i'm unsure. Any help of if these rabbits are okay to eat or the best month to shoot? something?
from what Ive heard any colder months are good. They can get parasites during the summer months. I honestly think if you cook them thouroughly it should be safe either way though. If you ever decide to raise them it's really easy and you get fertilizer for the garden as well.

from what Ive heard any colder months are good. They can get parasites during the summer months. I honestly think if you cook them thouroughly it should be safe either way though. If you ever decide to raise them it's really easy and you get fertilizer for the garden as well.

Funny enough I do own a rabbit that lives in my yard. It dug a hole and everything but it's my fiances and she'll cut me into pieces if I eat it. I think I'll go shoot a couple and skin them. See if they're worth cooking since it's cold here.

Damn phones messing up sorry for copying

Rabbits are only hunted in fall and winter here because they are prone to tularemia (rabbit fever) outbreaks in the warm months, which is contagious to humans.

I've killed and eaten my share of rabbits, mostly back when I was in college. I usually fried them but I have pan broiled them. I never tried barbecued rabbit, but it does sound like it would be good.

On our place in the Mississippi Delta, we have some really huge "Cane Cutters" also known as "Swamp Rabbits." They are more than twice the size of cottontails, but otherwise look a lot like cottontails. You have to be really careful picking one of those up if it's wounded, their teeth and claws can make mincemeat of your arm.

Barbeque is still my favorite. I like to put it on the smoker, then finish it on the grill, and put the barbeque on just at the end. Yum. I tried frying it and didn't have much luck. It turned out kind of tough. I thought about filleting it into thin strips, then breading and frying. I'll let you know how it goes.

I tried frying it and didn't have much luck. It turned out kind of tough.
Country fry it (pan fry in shallow oil), and make gravy, and let it simmer in the gravy a while. Even squirrels, which are much tougher than rabbits, can be tender if you simmer them in the gravy long enough.

Country fry it (pan fry in shallow oil), and make gravy, and let it simmer in the gravy a while. Even squirrels, which are much tougher than rabbits, can be tender if you simmer them in the gravy long enough.
Everythings better in gravy!

So once i skin and gut the rabbit, how long should i cook it for? or even what part of the rabbit do i cook?

So once i skin and gut the rabbit, how long should i cook it for? or even what part of the rabbit do i cook?
Once you skin it and remove the organs there is nothing left but meat. Theres very little fat on the cute little buggars. I usually section them into back legs, back strap and front legs. I like to clean several at a time, and freezer bag the different parts together, so one night I can have rabbit "wings" (front legs), and another I can have a large chunk of meat (back), I like cooking similar sized pieces at the same time. My favorite way to eat is to debone, and cut it into small chunks, and do a stirfry or make fahitas. I have done several roasted whole rabbits in the dutch oven on a slow temp that turned out good too. I posted earlier that i smoke some pieces first (legs), and then finish up on the grill with barbeque sauce. Ok now I'm hungry!

Thanks for the information ill make sure to go ahead and do all of that. SOunds pretty good.

Latest posts

Back