Bear trap

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Last october I went to maine for a bear hunt. I basically hung out and another fella hunted.

I stopped by FnT supply in michigan and picked up a bear trap. Maine is the last state that bear trapping is still allowed. I got the trap in case my buddy wanred to try his luck with it. He didnt set it out.

Here it is. A foot snare. Set me back about 125 dollars
20211126_072805.jpg
20211126_072805.jpg

Last october I went to maine for a bear hunt. I basically hung out and another fella hunted.

I stopped by FnT supply in michigan and picked up a bear trap. Maine is the last state that bear trapping is still allowed. I got the trap in case my buddy wanred to try his luck with it. He didnt set it out.

Here it is. A foot snare. Set me back about 125 dollarsView attachment 76117View attachment 76117
That will make for one pissed off bear🐻

This is the same type of snare used by biologists to snare bears for research and management purposes.
I have been able to go help out with a bear project for a few days a couple of times. The snare is placed around the upper rim of a 5 gallon bucket. The bucket is placed in the crotch of a tree 3-5 feet off the ground and secured tightly with ratchet straps. Dog food is put into the bucket. When a bear reaches in n grabs some dog food the spring loaded jump snare closes down on the upper arm. Above the elbow to reduce harm to the bear.
Black bears tend to lay down at the base of the tree. And remain fairly docile. Brown bears go crazy crazy !!!!!
There was an area in AK where the moose calf survival rate was down to 6% . That wa just surviving birth let alone making it to maturity. Because there were so many bears preying on them. They can smell the afterbirth from a long ways. And learned to follow the cows. From even before birth.
The game board approved the action as a recommendation from the biologists. But public outcry stopped the program.
I knew a fellow who was in a bear snare program and he let me hang out with him. That was a great experience and I learned a lot. It happened that one of the biologists overseeing the program was doing a tour through the area so being able to visit with him was also a win. He spent the night at my friends place.

Bear is tasty! Just don't try to pet it while it's in the trap 😊
--- ---
Chuckle..... The "bear trap" at our house here seems to be our crab apple tree...
Sweetie got one last fall intent on trying to climb the tree.. All deboned and either frozen or pressure canned as cubed meat it was indeed very tasty..

Yep! if it eats my food it becomes my food.

Have not seen a wild bear in about thirty years, it was North Carolina mountains, bear season & they were on the road after hunter harvest them.
I will never forget the smell or the size of the claws.

I was told that out west, when a bear come this close to humans, they have to be put down, because they have lost the "FEAR OF HUMANS".
Guess it is not true where you are.

Our yard is a bear highway....really it is. Our nearest neighbor is almost 1/2 mile away. These bears are scaredy-cats, as soon as our door opens, they go running.

Around here, bears that eat garbage or break into houses to get food, do get put down. We take our seed feeders in and our garbage can is in the shed.

We use the adage, "A fed bear is a dead bear." The bears that cross our yard are not fed, they are just moving through.

I'll stick with the snakes and wild hogs, ya'll keep the bears up north!!
It's a deal, I hate snakes, though I wouldn't mind relieving you of a couple of those hogs.

My local bear is smart enough to not let me see him while I'm outside. I was thinking about shooting him through the window. It is a fixed window and I'm too cheap to buy a new one.

My best friend's dad went black bear hunting in Maine back in the 90s. Yes, he had it skinned, etc. Don't know what he did with the meat.
Another friend lived up in the mountains of Maryland near Frostburg and had problems with the black bear population.

My best friend's dad went black bear hunting in Maine back in the 90s. Yes, he had it skinned, etc. Don't know what he did with the meat.
Another friend lived up in the mountains of Maryland near Frostburg and had problems with the black bear population.
Thanks

This is likely. Black bears have come back into an area in southwestern Texas too where they had not been seen for years. View attachment 124604
From South Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources:
View attachment 124603
That's too close for me!! They are not in my county yet, but knowing my luck it's just a matter of time!🙄 Why not, I've been bitten by everything else!🙄

I was told that out west, when a bear come this close to humans, they have to be put down, because they have lost the "FEAR OF HUMANS".
Guess it is not true where you are.
It’s not true “out west” either. There are few things bear are afraid of- also depends upon kind of bear.

Over the 20 years we've lived here, we've probably had 100 bear sightings IN OUR YARD. Usually they walk on thru, but sometimes they're up on the porch, peering in our windows, standing on our picnic table, trying to use our hand pump well, etc. These are the bears we've seen. No telling how many bears we haven't seen.

For those of you on Facebook, you can see our bear album here==>Our Bear Neighbors

1708095311680.png

1708095373421.png

1708095414313.png

1708095468647.png

1708095607672.jpeg

1708095736802.png

It’s not true “out west” either. There are few things bear are afraid of- also depends upon kind of bear.
It was a grizzly & it was at nine quarter Ranch near Yellow Stone park.
I was not there, I was told the story, so not sure what is fact.

My experience has been most bears, of 2 kinds, are afraid and run away from humans.. Unfortunately, there were also a number that for a number of reasons were not as weary of humans as they should be.. This is where the problem comes in.. When you combine there size, strength, opportunistic and how smart they are, that is usually when ..issues... happen..

Unfortunately.. The old saying ...a fed bear is a dead bear... is a quite broad but true statement.. Once a bear associates food and an unacceptable behavior together.. Example like the one repeatedly trying to take the door off my chicken house to get to the feed in the vestibule.. Or getting into my neighbors bee hives.. That is a behavior that is extremely hard or impossible to break... Then ...action... is ...required...

Also like said... The population of bears, or any wild life, in a given area will rise and fall as nature dictates... Like said as with an iceberg you will only see at best 10% of what is going on.. I seem to have lived the last almost 20 years in areas where bear populations are on the rise or quite peaked at the expense of other wildlife populations.. This can be a pain in the neck..

Remember... The farther north you go, the more things that can eat you and your horse.. Grandpa Gilbert..

Um..... Speaking of ...bear traps... I have had a little experience with ...nuisance... bears in live traps... When a bear ...issue... gets to the point where it eventually gets caught in a live trap circumstances are at a point where most people don't want to know the resolution of that situation... KnowwhatImean...

The only ..leg hold.. type bear traps I've seen were decorations in lodges and such..

Back