Bear trap

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black bears have been reported all over bama but sightings are rare. Less than 200 bears in the state. The florida subspecies was reintroduced here in the '60s. Occasionally someone would see one back then. But in the last 20yrs i haven't seen a bear or sign. However, i do see big cat sign occasionally. With the increase of the pig population in the last decade i think i'll be seeing a lot more cat sign in the future, maybe bear sign too. Yotes are already a big problem.

While you can make generalizations about certain species, each individual is different.

A friend of mine had just transversed the Panama Canal. He was sailing up the coast of Mexico when he missed a sleeping whale by inches. The whale took affront at being woken so rudely. He spent the next hour circling my friends sailboat to express his displeasure. Another whale might have sunk the boat while a different whale might have just swam off. You can never tell what wild critters will do.

My bear was outside my floor to ceiling window. I started yelling and beating on the window. The bear ignored me. Suddenly, a switch was thrown and the bear bolted downhill. He could have just as easily come through the window, you just never know.

Back