Blacksmithing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So we do metal including blacksmithing.
I acquired an old journal in very poor condition some months ago and haven't really had a chance to sit and go through it being careful with the pages etc.
Finally did so today. Interesting!
IMG_7303.jpg

So that first part~
Blacksmithing: Plow iron, sharpening, & shoeing $12.28.
I told Hubby next time I need a plow iron, implements sharpened and a horse shawed, I will pay him $12.28 😂

That’s not much for a plow - not sure of price today. Sharpening, we charge $10 per tool. Horse shoeing is about $100 per head.
I would read the invoice as plow irons, perhaps bolt on shares

That's pretty cool, that ol' journal you got, @LadyLocust
I know a ferrier or two, one here, one back home. Have met smithys too; at festivals where they do it for "fun," to amaze people with their skill and ironworks. I miss home for reasons like that.
smithy is where a blacksmith works, most old school guys get riled up if you call them smithy

Wow that's an incredible find!
I love old journals. They reveal so much more about the average person than any book. This one was specifically what was spent on labour from 1863-1868 (going on memory, it's not in front of me).

I love old journals. They reveal so much more about the average person than any book. This one was specifically what was spent on labour from 1863-1868 (going on memory, it's not in front of me).
my guess is that blacksmith work was fairly valuable compared to now, but it will be back to producers and makers being far more valuable than politicians and entertainers and fairly soon

Latest posts

Back