Cal Jam II 1978

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_In_29

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was surfing youtube and found this video. Was anyone else there?

Tickets were $12.50 advance, $17 at gate and parking was free. To see Aerosmith, Foreigner, Heart, Santana, Mahogany Rush, Dave Mason, Rubicon, Bob Welch and Ted Nugent. Someone stole my buddy's motorcycle (probably for a beer run) but it was returned to the same spot later.

Some 225,000 tickets were sold, setting a record for a single-day paid attendance at a rock concert. The actual crowd size due to gate-crashers has been estimated at 300,000 to 350,000.
I saw the fence go down and watched a human wave pouring through.

At the time, Ontario’s population was 71,000, and as the Daily Report put it, the early estimate of 250,000 people was greater than the combined population of Ontario, Upland, Montclair, Chino, Rancho Cucamonga and Fontana.
Today’s Coachella festivals draw 90,000.
I was just past the secondary speaker stands, that they had estimated were going to be about half way into the crowd. They were way off on that estimate.

It set a record for largest/loudest speaker array and held it for decades. We left during the last act and while walking to our car parked over a mile away we could still FEEL the music.

Nope. Around those years, I was going to Oakland Collesiums "Day on the Green". Lots of concerts.
Not even in the same class as Cal Jam2.

I was surfing youtube and found this video. Was anyone else there?

Tickets were $12.50 advance, $17 at gate and parking was free. To see Aerosmith, Foreigner, Heart, Santana, Mahogany Rush, Dave Mason, Rubicon, Bob Welch and Ted Nugent. Someone stole my buddy's motorcycle (probably for a beer run) but it was returned to the same spot later.

I saw the fence go down and watched a human wave pouring through.

I was just past the secondary speaker stands, that they had estimated were going to be about half way into the crowd. They were way off on that estimate.

It set a record for largest/loudest speaker array and held it for decades. We left during the last act and while walking to our car parked over a mile away we could still FEEL the music.

HAH!

I was somewhere in the Mediterranean sea most of that year... I guess.

Ben

I wasn't alive in 1978, but if my pops went I could at least claim I was there. In a way.
Not really since sperm are created constantly by us males. Now if he took your mom as a date you would qualify. Since women carry around their full complement of eggs.

HAH!

I was somewhere in the Mediterranean sea most of that year... I guess.

Ben
I was almost a year into my Marine Corps career and about 3/4s of the way done with my MOS school in 29 Palms. One of the guys had a car and we piled in to make the trip to Ontario for that weekend.

I was almost a year into my Marine Corps career and about 3/4s of the way done with my MOS school in 29 Palms. One of the guys had a car and we piled in to make the trip to Ontario for that weekend.
We did manage a Harry Chapin out door concert near Naples. It was fun for a change.

Ben

I was skinning my knees on half-pipes and pools in the local 'skate park' in Ventura whilst donning tube socks n elbow pads - that count at all? ;)

Would have Killed to have been there, but.. Alas, I was just still a little parentally-marionetted twerp drooling over Bo Derek and Farrah Fawcett on TV.. 🤓

jd

Latest posts

Back