Canned Tuna

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I think that many preppers stock up on canned tuna. I'd like to know what the current situations is with mercury in tuna. I know in the past we have been advised not to eat it everyday, but is that still true? It probably is.

I saw a discussion about what you can do with canned tuna, besides tuna sandwiches. There are many things to make besides tuna sandwiches. When I was growing up tuna and noodle casserole was in our meal rotation. I've made it a few times, but I avoid a lot of carbs, so I don't think to make it often.

Any ideas for what you make with tuna besides tuna salad and tuna and noodle casserole? I'll share a few recipes that I found in a budget food thread on Reddit. Variety will be key if and when we are living off of our food storage.

Tuna croquettes

Two cans or packets of drained tuna
One egg
Some onion flakes or finely diced onion
Salt and pepper
Saltine crackers

Mix then add enough cracker crumbs to be able to form a patty. Usually 1/2 to 1 whole sleeve of crackers, crushed. Form patties about the size of the palm of your hand. Makes about 3-4. Then…

Once formed, heat oil in a skillet and fry for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve with tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, or lemon.

I haven’t tried these in an air fryer but would probably work.

These patties as leftovers make a fantastic filet o’ fish sandwich. Reheat the patty then serve on a toasted hamburger bun with mayo or tartar sauce, pickles, lettuce, and onion. Can add a slice of cheese too.

Latest posts

Back