Cauilflower "steaks"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am confused why people often think that only meat can be a main entree and only vegetables/fruit can be a side dish.
For me, it's taste and a balanced feel to the meal. I like beans. I like broccoli, asparagus, rice, green beans, Brussel's sprouts, potatoes, cabbage - all kinds of vegetables (not that rice or potatoes count as a vegetable!) I love salads. But a dinner of nothing but these "side dishes" if that's what they are being called just doesn't feel balanced to me. I like the taste of meat with the mix. That can be beef, pork, chicken, fish or whatever.

For me, part of a meal has to be something that you like and look forward to. If your meals are nothing but a health lecture sitting there on your plate, I get kind of bored with it. There is a difference between "liking" something and "feeling an enjoyable drive to eat it". I could get by eating only things that I "like" and are good for me. But I would not enjoy meals anywhere near as much. The primary purpose for meals is of course nutrition. But part of a meal - at least for me - is enjoyment too. I don't experience the enjoyment part as strongly with a plate of food sans meat.

Some people live to eat, other people eat to live.

So true.

healthy_living.jpg

I’ve been to other countries that didn’t have meat as the main entree but used as a flavoring, not too bad. But I’ve been to the country where the majority have meat as the main portion of their meal. That country ended two world wars, landed on the moon, provided the most benefits for humankind throughout world history and has the largest line of people trying to become citizens from countries whose people don’t eat meat! (just pokin a little fun as this is what I would say to my vegetarian friends, again none of my business).

I had horse meat pizza in Italy, I wouldn’t have ate if I knew before ordering, but it was surprisingly good…

Latest posts

Back