Cotton

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, wool and silk are best but natural fibers will always be in my fabric stash. Wool might stay wet but it will retain 80% of it's warmth. It is also more flame resistant (without treating) than cotton. Silk is warm but can also be lightweight.

Fabric warmth and durability is built into the weave structure.
cotton and silk panties and underwear are a must.

wool panties....yea....be a revolt for history books i tell ya....!! need something soft against the skin and private bits.

I wear cotton year round. I also have a lot of wool sweaters and shirts too. I live in a very dry climate. It's either hot and dusty or it's cold and snowy. We get very little rain any time of the year. During winter I wear insulated Carhartt bibs, wool/silk long underwear, Filson oil skin coat with a wool liner. If it's really cold I'll wear a wool sweater under the coat. We have a lot of 100% wool blankets. When it cools off we put a wool point blanket on our bed.

wool panties....yea....be a revolt for history books i tell ya....!! need something soft against the skin and private bits.
Different sheep breeds give different skin feel. Merino is the softest, close to skin. I still wouldn't use it for undies though. You need fiber that wicks water away from the skin unless you want some rot.

Different sheep breeds give different skin feel. Merino is the softest, close to skin. I still wouldn't use it for undies though. You need fiber that wicks water away from the skin unless you want some rot.
Many of our wool sweaters and socks are Merino wool. Our blankets are made from a similar type of wool too, none are "scratchy" aginst the skin. Quality counts.

Yes i like merino wool !

sidenote...some cant take any wool against the skin....its not its scratchy...they get a bit of rash from allergies instead of it being the roughness.

pps...i like polypro stuff...but it melts or can.

I don't have bolts of fabric but I do have a few different yardages of various fabrics picked up here and there from friends or purchased on the cheap. I know it is not ridiculous to have sewing supplies in the event of anything.
@LadyLocust I have a pair of linen pants, they sure do like to wrinkle.
@Peanut maybe some of our grandchildren will be hand pollinating our crops.
Some years ago, it was trendy to have wrinkled linen so you could tell it was real linen :rolleyes: I don't follow trends - I ironed mine even then.

Some years ago, it was trendy to have wrinkled linen so you could tell it was real linen :rolleyes: I don't follow trends - I ironed mine even then.
you ironed your panties?

linen is made from flax correct? thats what parachutes were originally made from i think.

I also iron my linen slacks and blouses.
I like cotton cause it breathes.
Haves various bolts of cloth , yardage, fat quarters,1/2 fats, 10 inch squares, 5 inch squares and chips in my stash.
Chips I use as patches usually 2 inches square.
Various sizes of needles, threads, buttons, pliers etc.
All in old fishing tackle box for repairs.

you ironed your panties?

linen is made from flax correct? thats what parachutes were originally made from i think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linen

looks like first bloomers were made from linen and cotton...well i guess first was buckskin

anyhow

https://qz.com/quartzy/1329807/from-the-loincloth-to-thinx-a-brief-history-of-undies

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...h.,swatches of linen with strings at the ends.

Lengberg_underpants.jpg

Cut n paste from wiki

On 12 October 1799, Jeanne Geneviève Garnerin ascended in a gondola attached to a balloon. At 900 meters she detached the gondola from the balloon and descended in the gondola by parachute. In doing so, she became the first woman to parachute.[15] She went on to complete many ascents and parachute descents in towns across France and Europe.[16]

Subsequent development of the parachute focused on it becoming more compact. While the early parachutes were made of linen stretched over a wooden frame, in the late 1790s, Blanchard began making parachutes from folded silk, taking advantage of silk's strength and light weight. In 1797, André Garnerin made the first descent of a "frameless" parachute covered in silk.[17] In 1804, Jérôme Lalande introduced a vent in the canopy to eliminate violent oscillations.[17

Ben

you ironed your panties?
Not me, but my mom ironed everything that came out of the washer, except (perhaps) socks. Sheets, underwear, teeshirts, Levis, you name it. Everything got ironed and folded. I remember the last time Mom ironed my underwear. She was ironing, and extremely exhausted when I carefully explained that thirty seconds after I put on underwear that it felt and looked the same whether it was ironed or not. I was a teen.

Latest posts

Back