Country music lovers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good ol' Hank Senior.

Back in the 1970s I went into a redneck bar in Southern California with my long, hippy hair. I got some dirty looks. In a snotty voice, someone asked me what I would like to hear on the jukebox.
I said, "Something by Luke The Drifter."
He said, "Who is that?"
I said, "Hank Williams."
No one knew that in the bar, so then I got along fine.

Back in the 1970s I went into a redneck bar in Southern California with my long, hippy hair. I got some dirty looks. In a snotty voice, someone asked me what I would like to hear on the jukebox.
I said, "Something by Luke The Drifter."
He said, "Who is that?"
I said, "Hank Williams."
No one knew that in the bar, so then I got along fine.
He would often sing gospel music as Luke since his Hank fans wanted to hear him sing cheatin’ heart and drinking songs.

O.K. Country Music lovers, have you ever questioned this? How do you shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die, and end up in prison in California?

Maybe this should go in the Friday Fives thread, but I have always wondered how that lyric survived?

Original 1955 recording​

Cash was inspired to write this song after seeing the movie Inside the Walls of Folsom Prison (1951) while serving in West Germany in the United States Air Force at Landsberg, Bavaria (itself the location of a famous prison).[3] Cash recounted how he came up with the line "But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die": "I sat with my pen in my hand, trying to think up the worst reason a person could have for killing another person, and that's what came to mind."[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folsom_Prison_Blues

Did someone say Samantha Fish?
Blues rock is right up my alley. Kingfish Ingram, Eric Gales, Samantha Fish, and of course Buddy Guy. I'd be right at home on that thread.
That thread is probably there at my first ‘home’ site. Long story about it… I’ll PM you a link if it’s still there when I go back again.

Did someone say Samantha Fish?

That thread is probably there at my first ‘home’ site. Long story about it… I’ll PM you a link if it’s still there when I go back again.
Please do.

I've seen her 3 times, most recently in February of '24 at the Truman in Kansas City. The sound was crap at that show - the guitars were way too hot and the vocals were way too low - but she still put on a helluva show...

Please do.

I've seen her 3 times, most recently in February of '24 at the Truman in Kansas City. The sound was crap at that show - the guitars were way too hot and the vocals were way too low - but she still put on a helluva show...
I’m actually not sure if she is in the thread at another place. But, there was, or if… it’s still there… lots of good blues rock. I remember being turned-on to Samantha Fish from other threads there. You’d like it for the music. But… the good times there are history- I don’t recommend joining or posting there. Initials are GT, for the site, if that means anything to anybody.

Latest posts

Back