Do you have body armor in case of civil conflicts or war?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+
My plan " no body armor " . I will do as I have done in my previous combat days . Tie a bandana around my head to keep the sweat and blood out of my eyes , get my gun and knife and go to work . Not having that heavy body armor has its advantages . It translates to " speed " making you a harder target . If it wasn't for the developed " super speed " in combat engagements , I wouldn't be alive today . Body armor would likely have caused my death with not being fast enough . Exploding ordinances by you will likely find a way to penetrate where the body armor does not cover . --- My grandson and I have already in civilian life found ourselves in a potential civilian battle . The situation was for nighttime combat . Even a deputy sheriff joined our ranks . Weapons of choice for my grandson and I was old ordinary shotguns " no body armor " . --- Watching those war movies , can tell our members those actors don't even come close to the speed of maneuvering a real combat soldier will develop when not weighted down .

Last edited:
Exploding ordinances by you will likely find a way to penetrate where the body armor does not cover

That is kind of the point. If you are going to take damage better it be nonvital areas than places that result in immediate death. I can still pull the trigger with shrapnel in my butt but not with a chunk of lead in my myocardium.

The use of armor is situational and everyone should use it or not use it as they see fit. Fighting a small group of lets say insurgents in blue windbreakers is very different than drones dropping grenades and micro cluster bombs on you. Standing watch on your property is very different than driving down a road in a warzone with supplies, which is different than having to hump your ass across an open field to get to the tree line before that door gunner on a helo cuts you down. Sometimes you need to be fast, sometimes you need to be protected. I prefer having the option.

+
My plan " no body armor " . I will do as I have done in my previous combat days . Tie a bandana around my head to keep the sweat and blood out of my eyes , get my gun and knife and go to work . Not having that heavy body armor has its advantages . It translates to " speed " making you a harder target . If it wasn't for the developed " super speed " in combat engagements , I wouldn't be alive today . Body armor would likely have caused my death with not being fast enough . Exploding ordinances by you will likely find a way to penetrate where the body armor does not cover . --- My grandson and I have already in civilian life found ourselves in a potential civilian battle . The situation was for nighttime combat . Even a deputy sheriff joined our ranks . Weapons of choice for my grandson and I was old ordinary shotguns " no body armor " . --- Watching those war movies , can tell our members those actors don't even come close to the speed of maneuvering a real combat soldier will develop when not weighted down .
Why am I picturing "RAMBO- FIRST BLOOD" right now?

+
Yeppers got my First CAR in Liberia, No body armor back then..

Fire>body armor.
game over.
Body armor also does not protect against radiation... unless you have already been shot enough, that it is full of lead. :rolleyes:

Not much thought put into many of these comments . Body armor isn't for wearing all the time . It's for specific situations . Just like some firearms are better for different situations . And as always . Better to have it and not need it than . Need it and nit have it . But I guess that would be Prepping .

seeing as how I dont intend to get into a firefight and wouldnt win one if I did, the question is academic.

we are rural, a long way from a city and hundreds and hundreds of miles from the capital , there is nothing here to interest any urban person, any food in the one and only store will be long gone before anyone could get here from outside.

Yeppers got my First CAR in Liberia, No body armor back then..
No body armor in Vietnam either, except for a flak vest, which wouldn’t even slow serious fragments or bullets down.
No CAR then either, and I wasn’t an 11 Bravo, so a CIB was out.
They hung a Bronze Star on me instead.

No armor for me, if Jesus Christ decides it’s my time, then it’s my time.

Better to have it and not need it than . Need it and nit have it . But I guess that would be Prepping .
Wouldn't that justify buying any and everything? You can waste a ton of money and gain zero benefit from spending it if you live by the edict "better to have it and not need it..." Because that edict means you simply have to buy everything. Thinking purchases through is especially important when chances are low that you will actually need what you are considering purchasing. I am of the same mindset as many others here - I have no need to buy body armor either. If I were a soldier going to war, yes, body armor would be a consideration. Same if I was a police officer. But sitting here in my chair waiting for TEOTWAWKI ... not a consideration for purchase. Much better things to spend my money on that will be more beneficial post-SHTF.

Wait until armed robbers start wearing body armor.
That will make things much more difficult.

Wouldn't that justify buying any and everything? You can waste a ton of money and gain zero benefit from spending it if you live by the edict "better to have it and not need it..." Because that edict means you simply have to buy everything. Thinking purchases through is especially important when chances are low that you will actually need what you are considering purchasing. I am of the same mindset as many others here - I have no need to buy body armor either. If I were a soldier going to war, yes, body armor would be a consideration. Same if I was a police officer. But sitting here in my chair waiting for TEOTWAWKI ... not a consideration for purchase. Much better things to spend my money on that will be more beneficial post-SHTF.
That's a meandering bunch of stuff .
I didn't find it hard to buy . And it's not very expensive .

That's a meandering bunch of stuff .
I didn't find it hard to buy . And it's not very expensive .
I think you should buy more of it then.

I assume that you know there are places to shoot someone other than mid-chest if you conclude they might be wearing body armor? I know that too. So do many criminals out there. And it should be a no-brainer for anyone with military or law enforcement training. So outside of a true battlefield where shots might be coming at you from 500 yards away, or a close in melee with several shooters running around sprayin'-and-prayin' (something I would not enter into BTW) ... body armor is largely unnecessary IMHO. Your opinion may be different. To each his own.

I think you should buy more of it then.

I assume that you know there are places to shoot someone other than mid-chest if you conclude they might be wearing body armor? I know that too. So do many criminals out there. And it should be a no-brainer for anyone with military or law enforcement training. So outside of a true battlefield where shots might be coming at you from 500 yards away, or a close in melee with several shooters running around sprayin'-and-prayin' (something I would not enter into BTW) ... body armor is largely unnecessary IMHO. Your opinion may be different. To each his own.
Oh, but that fits right in with someone’s tactical load bearing vest, tactical boots, tactical gloves, and most importantly with a tactical AR that has 15 pounds of crap bolted to it.
Ya gotta be one of the Kool Kids.

Oh, but that fits right in with someone’s tactical load bearing vest, tactical boots, tactical gloves, and most importantly with a tactical AR that has 15 pounds of crap bolted to it.
Ya gotta be one of the Kool Kids.
The AR15 is a very practical firearm . I've got one as do many of the shooters I know do . I can't count how many I've seen , but I've never seone with 15 pounds of anything bolted to it .
That information probably came from someone that follows Joe Biden's recommendation of " just get a shotgun " .

The only things an AR needs is a two point USGI web sling, and a bayonet.
No red dots, no optics, no lights, no bi pod, none of that jive.
Of course, that is only my opinion, and everyone has one of those.
I’ve never claimed to be an expert in anything except dozing off in a recliner.

When it comes to anything that you want to bet your life on, I’m a minimalist.
More do-dads, more things to fail.

By all means, equip yourself the way you wish.

Latest posts

Back