Do you store water in 55 gallon containers?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I'm really afraid I don't have enough. I read a review on Amazon where something grew in one of those 55 gallon drums I was considering. I prefer clear to see what's inside.
2 drops clorox / gal to store
20 drops clorox / gal to purify
11 Tablespoons of pool shock / gal to make clorox

Ben

Do you have a hand pump?
I have two dozen one-gallon (3.8-liter) jugs I keep on some heavy 2X4 shelves in the basement, and another dozen gallons spread around the kitchen, pantry, and garage.

I fill the jugs with well-water, topped off with a quarter teaspoon (4 cc) of bleach solution (5-1/4%) and pull out one jug at random each month and drink it. Still alive.

I keep most of my water in the Snake River Aquifer at a depth of ~125 ft (~38 m). I put in a 5/8" PVC pipe down the well adjacent to my main line, which is connected to the existing submersible pump. I can manually pump about 1.3 gal/min (5 liters/min), which can provide water for drinking/cooking. Of course, the limiting factor is my arms wearing out! My main pump, like most of the other well-pumps, here, runs on 240 VDC, which isn't supported by my little Honda 2kW genset.

If Idaho Power ends up pooping in the parsnips like they did last year when some drunk wiped out himself and a major transformer, we're all going to be in deep kimchee. I'm going to have to either buy another little genset and run them in parallel or else get a bigger generator, which means stockpiling more gasoline (or propane) and attract hungry visitors if I run it in a post-SHTF scenario.

My other option is to get a PV array, along with the charge controller, batteries, and a new DC pump. Either approach will wipe us and our savings out.

I currently store drinking water in containers ranging from 2 liters to 55 gallons. I also have rain water barrels that hold 60 gallons each, the water in the rain barrels could be pumped through a filter system to provide additional drinking water if necessary. Based on my family size, I think that I keep about a 30 day supply of drinking water.

On the smaller containers <5 gallons, I have had leakage problems, the heavy walled 2 liter juice bottles seem to hold up okay, but the gallon and 2 1/2 gallon containers have leaked in the past so I no longer use those. The blue 35 and 55 gallon containers work okay, but I had to jump through hoops to figure out a way to cycle the water in them, to keep things fresh.
My husband complained that the lids on my 5 gallon jugs leak but as long as they're not being moved they should be okay I think. How would you pump the water from the rain barrels? Hand pump?

I have two dozen one-gallon (3.8-liter) jugs I keep on some heavy 2X4 shelves in the basement, and another dozen gallons spread around the kitchen, pantry, and garage.

I fill the jugs with well-water, topped off with a quarter teaspoon (4 cc) of bleach solution (5-1/4%) and pull out one jug at random each month and drink it. Still alive.

I keep most of my water in the Snake River Aquifer at a depth of ~125 ft (~38 m). I put in a 5/8" PVC pipe down the well adjacent to my main line, which is connected to the existing submersible pump. I can manually pump about 1.3 gal/min (5 liters/min), which can provide water for drinking/cooking. Of course, the limiting factor is my arms wearing out! My main pump, like most of the other well-pumps, here, runs on 240 VDC, which isn't supported by my little Honda 2kW genset.

If Idaho Power ends up pooping in the parsnips like they did last year when some drunk wiped out himself and a major transformer, we're all going to be in deep kimchee. I'm going to have to either buy another little genset and run them in parallel or else get a bigger generator, which means stockpiling more gasoline (or propane) and attract hungry visitors if I run it in a post-SHTF scenario.

My other option is to get a PV array, along with the charge controller, batteries, and a new DC pump. Either approach will wipe us and our savings out.
It's all hard isn't it?

Our power was knocked out one time for 2 weeks and you really get a feel for just what things will be like.

Can I ask if you buy from Costco, Amazon, or someplace else in bulk?
All of the above. Costco, Amazon and sometimes from CVS when they have a big sale.
I use them a lot in my shop to clean hands and whatever.
My favorite is Huggies. The Kirkland (Costco) brand is pretty decent. Haven't really tried the CVS brand much so can't rate them.

My husband complained that the lids on my 5 gallon jugs leak but as long as they're not being moved they should be okay I think. How would you pump the water from the rain barrels? Hand pump?
I'm using 4-55 gallon barrels in my basement for my indoor emergency water supply and I'm lazy, so I purchased an RV water pump like the ones shown here 7 Best RV Water Pumps of 2022 and made a manifold of pickup tubes from 1/2 copper pipe, I ran flexible line from the RV pump to the manifold so I can place it on the floor (lower than the water level) when I'm using the water. I connected rv drinking water quality hose from the pump to my water distribution system. When I need emergency water, I just close the water distribution supply valve, connect the emergency water pump, open the emergency water valves, open a vent bung on each barrel, turn on the pump, and check for leaks. The RV pumps are available with a variety of flow rates and pressures. They are available in 110V-AC or 12V-DC, I bought a 12V unit first, then I added a 110V higher flow unit later. The 12V worked fine for the basics, but the water pressure was a little low for a shower... After each use I drain the pump and put it on the shelf. The nice thing about the RV pumps is that they have a pressure sensor, when the distribution has no demand the back pressure tells the pump to turn off, then the pump turns on when someone opens a valve at the sink.

Note: Each down leg of the manifold has an elbow at the bottom of the barrel, so they all draw from the very bottom of the barrels, when the valve is closed the manifold is air tight and it allows the levels to equalize.

My 12 outdoor rain barrels are 65 gallon units, I have installed bottom bungs in each and have them all connected to a PVC manifold that connects to an irrigation boost pump that can deliver 3-5 gallons per minute at 25 PSI to my garden irrigation system, I water my garden for about 15 minutes per day. When full my rain barrels can cover the gardens needs for almost 2 weeks, but even a little rain can extend that a lot. I have valves on the irrigation distribution system with screen filters on each leg of the system. I also have a hose bib on the distribution line, so I could use it to fill a bucket or connect a hose to it to push water through some sort of filtering system if need be... I've been playing with this stuff for 20+ years and making refinements each year.
One thing that I did was to add a ball valve at the lowest point of the large manifold pipe so when winter shows up unexpectedly I can go out connect the 10' pipe to the valve (to move water away from the house), open the valve and drain the whole system, each of the 6 distribution lines also has a drain. But opening 7 valves is a lot easier than replacing a lot of cracked lines and fittings.

Last edited:
"The humans down there collect rain water for drinking."
1705761862247.png

I bought some American Maid and hubby complained the lids leak. I guess they're all a standard size if I order new lids?
I don't know about that. Were they being stored on their side? I have considered making a rack to store mine sideways, but they are all currently stored with the bottom down. Mine get moved when I get ready to use one and then I turn it over.

I use 55 gallon drums as part of our rainwater collection system for our agricultural use.

I'm using 4-55 gallon barrels in my basement for my indoor emergency water supply and I'm lazy, so I purchased an RV water pump like the ones shown here 7 Best RV Water Pumps of 2022 and made a manifold of pickup tubes from 1/2 copper pipe, I ran flexible line from the RV pump to the manifold so I can place it on the floor (lower than the water level) when I'm using the water. I connected rv drinking water quality hose from the pump to my water distribution system. When I need emergency water, I just close the water distribution supply valve, connect the emergency water pump, open the emergency water valves, open a vent bung on each barrel, turn on the pump, and check for leaks. The RV pumps are available with a variety of flow rates and pressures. They are available in 110V-AC or 12V-DC, I bought a 12V unit first, then I added a 110V higher flow unit later. The 12V worked fine for the basics, but the water pressure was a little low for a shower... After each use I drain the pump and put it on the shelf. The nice thing about the RV pumps is that they have a pressure sensor, when the distribution has no demand the back pressure tells the pump to turn off, then the pump turns on when someone opens a valve at the sink.

Note: Each down leg of the manifold has an elbow at the bottom of the barrel, so they all draw from the very bottom of the barrels, when the valve is closed the manifold is air tight and it allows the levels to equalize.

My 12 outdoor rain barrels are 65 gallon units, I have installed bottom bungs in each and have them all connected to a PVC manifold that connects to an irrigation boost pump that can deliver 3-5 gallons per minute at 25 PSI to my garden irrigation system, I water my garden for about 15 minutes per day. When full my rain barrels can cover the gardens needs for almost 2 weeks, but even a little rain can extend that a lot. I have valves on the irrigation distribution system with screen filters on each leg of the system. I also have a hose bib on the distribution line, so I could use it to fill a bucket or connect a hose to it to push water through some sort of filtering system if need be... I've been playing with this stuff for 20+ years and making refinements each year.
One thing that I did was to add a ball valve at the lowest point of the large manifold pipe so when winter shows up unexpectedly I can go out connect the 10' pipe to the valve (to move water away from the house), open the valve and drain the whole system, each of the 6 distribution lines also has a drain. But opening 7 valves is a lot easier than replacing a lot of cracked lines and fittings.
You sound mechanically gifted like my husband.

I don't know about that. Were they being stored on their side? I have considered making a rack to store mine sideways, but they are all currently stored with the bottom down. Mine get moved when I get ready to use one and then I turn it over.
No - they're stored upright in an empty room. What brand do you use that don't leak? I read reviews and many leaked in different places, a bladder storage split, and another developed bacteria inside. Others were expensive. I got so tired of trying to figure it out I bought cheap, BPA free American Maid at Walmart and they're holding the water so far. I don't have a water dispenser so I'll just pour from the bottle into a steel carafe that I have.

I don't have enough though. I'm unsure if I should get a larger one or a rain barrel.

No - they're stored upright in an empty room. What brand do you use that don't leak? I read reviews and many leaked in different places, a bladder storage split, and another developed bacteria inside. Others were expensive. I got so tired of trying to figure it out I bought cheap, BPA free American Maid at Walmart and they're holding the water so far. I don't have a water dispenser so I'll just pour from the bottle into a steel carafe that I have.

I don't have enough though. I'm unsure if I should get a larger one or a rain barrel.
For me, it is not a brand, it is a sturdy bottle. Cheap bottles are meant to break down. Gallon jugs, like the kind that you get milk in break down quickly and they will leak eventually. All the bladders and other kind of jugs are okay. I've just never used them.

This is the kind that I use. They are sturdy. Five gallons of water is a little more than 40 pounds. Heavy, but can be carried. I just saw them somewhere for $7 + somewhere. I don't buy them new. I look around on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace and other places for free or inexpensive. I have driven a few miles to get them for free. What I like about these is that you can get dispensers, set the bottles on them and have easy access to water. I've gotten two kinds of dispensers for free. I set goals of what I want and keep looking and watching until I find what I am looking for.
5 gallon water jug.JPG

Last edited:
For me, it is not a brand, it is a sturdy bottle. Cheap bottles are meant to break down. Gallon jugs, like the kind that you get milk in break down quickly and they will leak eventually. All the bladders and other kind of jugs are okay. I've just never used them.

This is the kind that I use. They are sturdy. Five gallons of water is a little more than 40 pounds. Heavy, but can be carried. I just saw them somewhere for $7 + somewhere. I don't buy them new. I look around on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace and other places for free or inexpensive. I have driven a few miles to get them for free. What I like about these is that you can get dispensers, set the bottles on them and have easy access to water. I've gotten two kinds of dispensers for free. I set goals of what I want and keep looking and watching until I find what I am looking for.View attachment 123287

View attachment 123287
What do you use for cappibg them? Our water delivery bottles like those. But I don't have caps to close them up after refilling them.

I have quite a few 55 gallon barrels around here. Some I use for watering the hogs, with hog nippels, makes a lot less waste. And for watering the meat chickens, again less mess and waste. We also have a large spring fed pond a little over 1/4 mile from the house. This water would need to be filtered for drinking. Our well is also a quarter mile away from the house. It's 650' deep in solid basalt so a hand pump wouldn't work. The well pump is powered by a 12kw propane generator, with auto start, and plumbed to a 500 gallon propane tank. As long as we're able to get propane, there isn't any reason to store water.

blue plastic water barrels for storing rain water, average 45 gallons each over here, have 8 of them, the water is only used for the garden now but post SHTF will be filtered and boiled for use in the house.

What do you use for cappibg them? Our water delivery bottles like those. But I don't have caps to close them up after refilling them.
If you set the jugs on the floor, you can also just use a plastic bag with rubber bands around the top for a temporary cap. I know rubber bands break down, but just as a temporary covering of the bottle. I've done this. I have also put a clean yogurt container over the top as a temporary cover. You know it isn't sealed, but it will keep dust and dirt out. But I do have caps that I ordered to seal them shut.

Since I live in an apartment, I don't have a long term water plan. I do keep an amount of water that would be sufficient for drinking and cleaning for a few days. I had to dip into it recently when the water line in my building froze - I used some to refill the toilet tank so I could take care of those needs.

My prepping is aimed at covering 3 days. That should let me see what is going on, and if I need to head to my BOL or if I can ride out any problems at home, plus it gives me enough supplies to make the trip to my BOL or one of the family back up locations if necessary.

I use the same kind of water bottle that Weedy uses. Rather than filling them myself, I just have them delivered already filled. Yeah, that costs money, but it's only money. It is very convenient. Those I label by delivery date and they are constantly rotated as we consume some from our water dispenser and more are delivered. I keep maybe a dozen of them around (that would be 60 gallons total - there are two of us in the house). The number on hand varies over time as we drink more or less or have guests, but it's easy to adjust my stores. Bottles are delivered every two weeks. If I want more, I simply ask for more (you can do that online prior to delivery day, or just tape a note asking for XXX bottles to the empties that you put out). I could also just fail to return the empties on delivery day and refill them myself if I wanted, but I don't usually do that. We have it set up so that by default they will deliver as many empties as we put out, but never less than two. We typically control the size of our stores by managing the number of empties we put out. Delay putting some out by a delivery cycle, and your stores grow. Plus, those empties that are delayed going out could be refilled in our kitchen for a quick increase of our stores. We sometimes keep two of three empties on hand for this scenario. Usually not, but occasionally we do.

You can buy these at grocery stores and many other places. They are slightly cheaper than having them delivered (not a whole lot cheaper though). But then you have to lug them around yourself. Having that big brawny guy carry two up to your doorstep - one on each shoulder - is easier. He'll even bring them inside if you want him too. I no longer have the strength to launch 80 lbs up on my shoulders and hustle that up stairs like the delivery guy does!

Then we have our 55 gallon water heater. That might produce 40-45 or so additional gallons of drinking water. We have a 55 gallon rain barrel, but I would not use that for drinking except as a last resort if my other resources had run dry. And then we have a 500 gallon hot tub that would supply water for non-drinking, non-cooking use. Hot water at that! (unless the power went out too)

Now I'm really afraid I don't have enough. I read a review on Amazon where something grew in one of those 55 gallon drums I was considering. I prefer clear to see what's inside.
Clear lets sunlight in, should use black or blue to keep sunlight out & bleach to keep every thing else in check.

I have a RO system at home for my well and various containers from the five gallon blue water bottles to 3.5 gallon free buckets from the grocery store bakery.

Mom has about 20,000 gallons of rain storage for the four residences on the property. I've been drinking God distilled (rain) water for over 60 years without anything but the most simple filter (20 micron) so I don't understand people worrying about filtering rain water.

Water storage can be a problem if not done correctly
The trick is you want the water to move
Stagnant water is dangerous water

I like using old water heater tanks.
Because the tank has fittings with threads and the tank itself costs nothing

Pipe each tank
In the bottom out the top
Then in the bottom of the next tank etcetc
Hook your house supply to the first tank and out the last tank to your home

Back