fixin' Patch's ac...maybe

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if you attempt to replace the capacitor. pull all fuses and shut off the breaker. Grab a well insulated screwdriver, only holding the plastic of said screwdriver, and touch the FAN tab on top with the COM, and stand by for a huge "zap". you won't hurt yourself, but you are discharging it. Next, touch the HERM to the COM, and may hear another discharge of electricity. finally, touch all 3 tabs with the screwdriver to ensure the capacitor is completely discharged. Once done, it is now safe to remove.

On the outside unit (be it A/C only or heat pump):

NOTE: If/when you remove the cover, there is high voltage in there at certain places. Don't touch any wires!

When you open that cover where the capacitor is, there's a circuit board. On that board there's normally one or more little LED lights that give the operational status. On mine, if something is wrong, it gives a series of blinks. The error codes/blink sequence meanings are on the inside of the aforementioned cover removed.

There's also a little reset button on the board. Using a straightened paperclip, toothpick or similar, press in on the reset button and hold for about 5 seconds. That may fix your issue for now. If not immediate resolution, shut off all breakers to the inside and outside units for a couple minutes then turn them back on. Make note of the error received and follow that for final resolution.

Usually on that Outside Unit :

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ftsa&q=HVAC+Capacitor+Location&iax=images&ia=images

View attachment 157341

While using that Link, type in what Model You have, may get a better View of where it is...?!?
Didja notice that the dead one in your pic looks just as 'pooched' as mine?
Screenshot_20240713-112858_kindlephoto-743376617.png

I AIN DOIN IT!
😵‍💫 not getting rid of me that fast!
I'm assuming you're talking about the condenser. ;)

Another common problem in the outside unit. There's a contactor in there that is an item that is known to fail.

Here's a pic. The contactor is the one on the right with the red cable on top. Carefully, take a plastic handle screwdriver and press in on that black tab in the middle. If it stays in and you're AC kicks on, you're working again but that part is starting to fail. If it just pops back out, another indication that it's probably bad right now.
BTW, that chrome cylinder on the top right of the pic is the condensor.

1720892770248.jpeg

On the outside unit (be it A/C only or heat pump):

NOTE: If/when you remove the cover, there is high voltage in there at certain places. Don't touch any wires!

When you open that cover where the capacitor is, there's a circuit board. On that board there's normally one or more little LED lights that give the operational status. On mine, if something is wrong, it gives a series of blinks. The error codes/blink sequence meanings are on the inside of the aforementioned cover removed.

There's also a little reset button on the board. Using a straightened paperclip, toothpick or similar, press in on the reset button and hold for about 5 seconds. That may fix your issue for now. If not immediate resolution, shut off all breakers to the inside and outside units for a couple minutes then turn them back on. Make note of the error received and follow that for final resolution.
Here's a pic of what I was talking about in the quoted post.

1720893030142.jpeg

Patch, it is the silver cannister in the top right of your Pic. My next door neighbor called last night regarding the same thing. He snapped a pic, took it to a local electric shop, got the exact number unit, shut down his power, shorted the power out of it, unplugged 3 wires, plugged in 3 wires, turned on unit, and runs like a champ. The only a/c guy available was booked out until Tuesday evening. In 5 minutes, and $40 bucks, he is running with full a/c.

I AIN DOIN IT!
😵‍💫 not getting rid of me that fast!

To quote Dirty Harry, “A man’s got to know his limitations”. That works for ladies, too!

If it’s not in your skill set, find someone to help you. It is dangerous if you’ve never messed with this type of system and we don’t want one wrong move to be your last!!

The more I rebel the more you push! Where’s supervisor’s crossed arms attitude when I need it?
This was a great example of how helpful y’all are. Thank you. (Still ain’t touching it).
These are helpful tips for the next person!!
I learned 50 years ago about "flyback transformers" it is a lesson you dont EVER forget, if you aren't comfy, call a pro.

It could be the capacitor or fan motor but the reason i didn’t comment was the lack of info on what the unit would or wouldn’t do. I was also headed out the door to go to work in place of someone that called out an hour before his shift started.
If the system just stopped cooling it is most likely the capacitor and is a simple fix if you feel comfortable doing it.
I didn’t touch it!!!
It was the capacitor. Fixed in a jiffy too. Nope, I didn’t stand out there taking pix either.

I didn’t touch it!!!
It was the capacitor. Fixed in a jiffy too. Nope, I didn’t stand out there taking pix either.
You at least saved the dead one for a pic, right?

I didn’t touch it!!!
Who Fixed it, May We Know...?!?

You at least saved the dead one for a pic, right?
Who Fixed it, May We Know...?!?
No, I forgot and I didn't do it and sat my princess self inside waiting.
It was the maintenance guy from the rental. I wasn't hopeful. I asked him to please not electrocute himself. He smiled and said no ma'm.
(Most of the guys are polite here in TX. They say yes, ma'm and no, ma'm and run to open doors for old people and women).

Lol…. Stop pushing. :p
I consider them a 'Trophy Kill' that everybody should see...
"See, this is the the little $20 thingy that turned my life into a 'living-hell' for a week! :mad:"

(Most of the guys are polite here in TX. They say yes, ma'm and no, ma'm and run to open doors for old people and women).
Most of us southern boys are like that.

I'm glad you got it fixed. After I nearly electrocuted myself once my wife will NOT let me get near electricity. Especially 220 volts.
Luckily a good friend is HVAC trained and licensed and knows all about electrical "stuff".
When we need something done, like to our well pump or AC or whatever, he comes and fixes it no charge. And if it needs parts i usually have to fight him to get him to let me pay for the parts.
So, my wife gives him 2 or 3 dozen eggs a week, as long as the ladies are laying.

Not that I am aware of. It is 91° outside. Indoors 84°. Humidity at 45% and in check, inside. Not too bad.
@Ekatarina AC is needed in this place off and on from March, then mostly on in May through maybe mid October. That's just the way it is here.
I've gotten to where I can't stand for the air to be still inside. Anyone else?
If you are renting, is that not just a call to the landlord? (I might have missed something if you already said). Otherwise you might as well own.

If you are renting, is that not just a call to the landlord? (I might have missed something if you already said). Otherwise you might as well own.
Yes, a "landlord" that is a corporation and as I may have mentioned, I needed to be here and couldn't get off work for repairs sooner. I'm confused what your question or concern is. Availability of property to buy? Something I can afford? You might remember I don't have a high income and am older and single at this point. Would you like to go back to the beginning? Which part?
Yeah, it'd be great to completely own a place.

Yes, a "landlord" that is a corporation and as I may have mentioned, I needed to be here and couldn't get off work for repairs sooner. I'm confused what your question or concern is. Availability of property to buy? Something I can afford? You might remember I don't have a high income and am older and single at this point. Would you like to go back to the beginning? Which part?
Yeah, it'd be great to completely own a place.
None of that - sorry, beyond tired so I probably shouldn’t be typing. Just meant if it’s not your property, you shouldn’t have to pay for it or go through all you have. 🌺

None of that - sorry, beyond tired so I probably shouldn’t be typing. Just meant if it’s not your property, you shouldn’t have to pay for it or go through all you have. 🌺
Nope, I'm not paying for it because it was something I couldn't repair myself. I mean most people wouldn't have been able to diagnose it, except for most of the people here, ha, haha. So the policy says if you can repair it yourself then do it or they'll charge ya if they have to come out to do it. So, it was above and beyond me and I explained in email and phone all of the things I did to trouble shoot it, so it got me off the hook ($). Thanks to yall.

Latest posts

Back