Gardening 2023

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We find these every year in the garden . My Wife found these this morning . I use to find a lot of unbroken ones , these would have been very nice if not broken . The breaks were not new they may have been broken for centuries .
20230721_182118.jpg

Decided to dehydrate the onions, but the smell was so intense, had to move to garage. The smell permeated through to door and my son woke up and asked what I was cooking.

Have the large garage door open now to help ventilate. Live and learn.

I decided not to can because when I open the jar, I would never use them before they ruin. Even a pint jar.

Well, all the sudden, the garden took a turn. It was like overnight everything came on and I now have to get my butt in gear.

After we do some castrations this afternoon, I'm going to start canning and hope like crazy I get done early enough to catch some sleep before church! I'm so relieved. I was getting worried.

Went to gardens at 6:00 while plants still had dew on them. Put DE on beans hopefully to keep whatever is eating the bottom leaves from eating more. Put some on top for the Japanese Beetles. Haven't had many of those so far.

Then I fertilized the container tomatoes. I have new soil and have fertilized them 3 times and still have blossom end rot. I know they have calcium, but for some reason aren't absorbing it. Maybe all the rain is washing away the nutrients? I haven't had any red tomatoes so far this year. I had to set them out so late because it was cold until June. I have enough canned from last year, but would like to have some nice ones to save seed. These are the Determinate types.

Went to gardens at 6:00 while plants still had dew on them. Put DE on beans hopefully to keep whatever is eating the bottom leaves from eating more. Put some on top for the Japanese Beetles. Haven't had many of those so far.

Then I fertilized the container tomatoes. I have new soil and have fertilized them 3 times and still have blossom end rot. I know they have calcium, but for some reason aren't absorbing it. Maybe all the rain is washing away the nutrients? I haven't had any red tomatoes so far this year. I had to set them out so late because it was cold until June. I have enough canned from last year, but would like to have some nice ones to save seed. These are the Determinate types.
Too much nitrogen and the wrong kind (or not enough) fungi in the roots rhizosphere can also block calcium uptake. And inconsistent water, too, of course, but I know you water yours when needed.

The fertilizer might be too high in nitrogen?

The grasshoppers are really bad this year. The leaves on the raspberry plants look more like skeletons. They're stripping the "bark" off the asparagus plants too. I'm going to make some garlic oil and spray the plants to see if that helps. Then I'll spray the area around the garden with insecticide.
We had a large pile of wood shavings and chicken manure from cleaning out the coop. We spread it around the base of the grapes and blackberry plants and some of the fruit trees. It helps hold the water in around the plants and keep the weeds down. We haven't had any rain for over a month now.

The grasshoppers are really bad this year. The leaves on the raspberry plants look more like skeletons. They're stripping the "bark" off the asparagus plants too. I'm going to make some garlic oil and spray the plants to see if that helps. Then I'll spray the area around the garden with insecticide.
We had a large pile of wood shavings and chicken manure from cleaning out the coop. We spread it around the base of the grapes and blackberry plants and some of the fruit trees. It helps hold the water in around the plants and keep the weeds down. We haven't had any rain for over a month now.
They love Marigolds too. Some of them are down to stems. They stripped a pepper plant, but it is getting new foliage. I thought it was dead.

Sometimes, I wish I could use poison, but the bees ........

I don't know what brown rot is. If you mean the brown spots, I thought that was bug bites.

Teach me. I'm ready to learn.
I always thought so, too! We always called it scale growing up, but scale on houseplants look different, so I started looking at green bean disease photos and I found bacterial brown rot or spot and that's what mine look like.

Since my summer garden has not done well, I decided to put in a nice size Fall garden. The temperatures here are high for the first time this year. We were below average for May, June and July until today. Now it I 88 out. Anyway, I will plant some starts indoors next week and then potatoes as soon as this heat spell ends. Crossing my fingers the Fall stuff does well! 🤞

A lot of our garden was wiped out by the snow and ice on June 22nd. The plants that did survive are doing good. We've been eating a lot of lettuce and potatoes. The onions, garlic and herbs are doing good. The tomatoes that we replanted are growing well too. The grasshoppers are really bad this year. The raspberries are small and kind of tasteless. The blackberries and grapes are looking good. Daytime temps are in the upper 70's to low to mid 80's and nights are in the 50's.

I pulled probably 100 cabbage worms off my plants. I do have winter cabbages started, so that's good, but it seems the worms are really bad this year.

I think all I do is complain about the garden this year. I am really happy when I am out working in it. I just wish it would have been more productive. If we have to survive by farming our land alone, we'll probably die. Thankfully there are lots of wild edibles out in the woods and we would have meat.

I looked at the thermometer and was shocked. It is only 74 at 9:45 and it is usually that overnight. The storms cooled us down.

I have two more large logs to split today. My neighbor brought them over yesterday. Each log will make 6 or 7 pieces. They are Hackberry which is a medium hard wood, but I'm thrilled to have it.

I finally harvested my potatoes. I'm a little disappointed in the space to harvest ratio. Is it because I planted them too late?

I'm not sure if I did something wrong again, if it's just me, or what. It's not a terrible harvest, but certainly wouldn't be enough to get us through the winter if we didn't have stores.

Garden has been fairly successful for the first real attempt here, Getting my wife hooked. I did turn some poor soil into atomic with pony poop.
Just went out and installed the main piping system for the drip system sprinklers.
Not going to be on a timer, but to just turn a faucet on, and leave for a while. Big time saver for me when she is at work. But i might miss that beer that it takes me to water.

My garden hasn't hit its prime yet as I took the " prepper practice " method and planted my entire garden with heirloom seeds . Other folks or at least most , simply went to a store and bought starter plants at the time I was putting seeds in the ground . I have one tomatoe just beginning to turn and the okra cutting is gaining momentum . We ate the first eggplant of the year last night . --- I practice for the apocalypse .

My garden hasn't hit its prime yet as I took the " prepper practice " method and planted my entire garden with heirloom seeds . Other folks or at least most , simply went to a store and bought starter plants at the time I was putting seeds in the ground . I have one tomatoe just beginning to turn and the okra cutting is gaining momentum . We ate the first eggplant of the year last night . --- I practice for the apocalypse .
I never really understood how people bought plants unless their seedlings die. We can't afford to spend that much money on the plants. They were over $4 each this year!

Me too. The only store bought for me were onions.

Latest posts

Back